What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

siv

First Grade
Newtown withdrew due to financial issues

It took 12 years before, with the aid of Souths, for them to return at Metro Cup level on 1995

Newtown only returned to reserve grade when Souths were booted out of the comp. But never again ran a U20s or junior district team. Except for a year in one grade

Bears never left reserve grade, 3rds or the juniors and still manage the NS District junior clubs

NS are also the only RL district growing in male particaption numbers

Pommy

Coach
The Newtown club have a niche market and it complements their community. You still havent understood that North Sydney is a much different area and that area expects a top flight club!

I expected to get laid every night when I got married, life is f**king cruel.

The Great Dane

First Grade
? Oh dear. You are an insane piece of work Greatdane! Do you honestly think a merger with an archrival club in Manly was going to work?! Wow yoy have lost all semblance if common sence! An amazingly innept read of a poor situation for rugby league in North Sydney
States the guy whom thinks North Sydney /Manly Warringah merger was a genuine common sense idea! Lol. Raucous laughter!

I never said that I thought that the merger between the Sea Eagles and Bears was a good idea...

For a change why don't you try arguing the points that people are making instead of you're terrible attempts at trying to smear them... Who knows maybe you know something we don't, but we'll never know cause you never respond to anybody else's points...

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Newtown club have a niche market and it complements their community. You still havent understood that North Sydney is a much different area and that area expects a top flight club!

Shame on you for not championing Newtown's readmission with the fervour you have for NS. There was us thinking you were a champion for the traditions of RL in NSW! Like the rest you just pick and choose who you want in our are happy to see left out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NS are also the only RL district growing in male particaption numbers

Surely not? Stallion keeps telling us the area is a RL wasteland that will only be saved by a pseudo Bears being readmitted anywhere from Gosford to Perth lol

Stallion

First Grade
I never said that I thought that the merger between the Sea Eagles and Bears was a good idea...

For a change why don't you try arguing the points that people are making instead of you're terrible attempts at trying to smear them... Who knows maybe you know something we don't, but we'll never know cause you never respond to anybody else's points...

I am not into time wasting. If the merger was clearly destined to fail then that's the whole story. It was not a well thought out tact . In fact disastrous for the code. Does that give you some idea that these people were not pushing an agenda in the interests of rugby league? It was a sham!

Stallion

First Grade
Surely not? Stallion keeps telling us the area is a RL wasteland that will only be saved by a pseudo Bears being readmitted anywhere from Gosford to Perth lol

When figures come from extreme lows then growth is relatively easy to achieve. Thought you would read it that way PR! Rest be assured massive damage has been done to RL in North Sydney. And its mostly to do with no top flight club!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am not into time wasting. If the merger was clearly destined to fail then that's the whole story. It was not a well thought out tact . In fact disastrous for the code. Does that give you some idea that these people were not pushing an agenda in the interests of rugby league? It was a sham!

Yet you're wasting time right now by refusing to respond to anything I actually said and continue to push back against a point that i never made...

That's all you do, waste time by dodging any question or point that doesn't suit your warped way of looking at things...

Stallion

First Grade
Yet you're wasting time right now by refusing to respond to anything I actually said and continue to push a point that i never made...

That's all you do waste time by dodging any question or point that doesn't suit your warped way of looking at things...

Its quite obvious the point you have made and it ignores the whole core of what transpired. The Bears were clearly hijacked and the so called merger was part of the hatchet job on both the Bears and the code. So any discourse without that being understood and recognised is trivial and wasting time. The mistake against the code and the Bears has been made. End of any time wasting from my point of view. I don't divulge in crap discourse.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Didn't Newtown make the GF a year or two before there booting?

Yes in 1981 and the mid week cup final in 1982, they were gone at end of 1983. Infact their third grade team made the grand final in 1982 also. Unfortunately they just wound up and were gone, they were averaging about 4500 and finished 13 out of 14 teams and were looking to move to Campbelltown at Orana Park, which is now one of the Tigers home grounds.
Wests on the other hand fought for survival....Newtown wound up and 1984 season kicked off with a bye and barely a word said.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Bull shit!

Newtown didn't have the money to take the NSWRL to court like the Magpies and later the Rabbits did, so they were forced to accept their fate, that doesn't mean that they went down with a whimper cause they fought it right to the end of their means. Also Newtown were coming off a successful period too, it could reasonably be argued that they were coming off a more successful period then the Bears had before they were dropped, I mean they did compete in the grand final in 81, two years before they were dropped.

And neither Newtown or the Bears were executed (that's what happened to the likes of Annandale and Glebe!), both are still around today and neither ceased operations after being dropped from the top league. If you are suggesting that the Bears were abandoned by the league well even that isn't fair, they were part of a merger that fell apart (and they weren't innocent victims in that situation either), the league did pretty much everything in their power to keep them in the first grade short of giving them a license once the merger fell apart (and thank god they didn't cause all of the mergers would have dissolved straight away).
Newtown on the other hand were literally voted out of the NSWRL, they were literally kicked out under a rationalisation plan along with Wests (who fought their way back in through the courts), so if anything Newtown were the ones that were "basically executed" and not the Bears...

Why don't you and Stallion just admit that you have a strange double standard when it comes to the Bears, and that you don't really care all that much about Sydney's historical clubs and traditions and you're only really in it for the Bears for some strange reason, probably because you remember the Bears from your childhood but clubs like Newtown and the ones that came before are before your time and their for aren't as important to you.
If you just admitted that you have a contradiction in your thinking then I could take you more seriously, cause at least you recognise and accept it, but trying to persist with the allusion that you don't have an irreconcilable contradiction in your philosophy (for lack of a better word) about the sport and how it should be treated is just stupid.

Who the hell are you you clown, I lived through the demise of Newtown in 1983.

Wests had no money and had to stage rock concerts at Lidcombe Oval to raise money to fight their way back in, thanks to the leadership of Rick Wayde. Cronulla were also on the chopping block. 1983 was a terrible year for the game probably the worst season for the game the only positive was it saw the ousting of the old league administration after the Big League Four Corners program.

You are the one who has no idea what you are talking about......won't waste my time on fools like you

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its quite obvious the point you have made and it ignores the whole core of what transpired. The Bears were clearly hijacked and the so called merger was part of the hatchet job on both the Bears and the code.

Hijacked? Hijacked by who exactly?

Are you going tin foil hat on us!?

So any discourse without that being understood and recognised is trivial and wasting time. The mistake against the code and the Bears has been made. End of any time wasting from my point of view. I don't divulge in crap discourse.

Well considering that I never said that the Bears Manly merger was a good idea or whatever it is you think I said, it has been understood from the start, so maybe in the future you should actually read stuff before you respond to it...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Who the hell are you you clown, I lived through the demise of Newtown in 1983.

Wests had no money and had to stage rock concerts at Lidcombe Oval to raise money to fight their way back in, thanks to the leadership of Rick Wayde. Cronulla were also on the chopping block. 1983 was a terrible year for the game probably the worst season for the game the only positive was it saw the ousting of the old league administration after the Big League Four Corners program.

You are the one who has no idea what you are talking about......won't waste my time on fools like you

Nothing that you've said there contradicts anything that I said, so what exactly is you're problem with that post?

BTW, are you a Cronulla fan? Cause that would explain a lot...

Stallion

First Grade
Hijacked? Hijacked by who exactly?

Are you going tin foil hat on us!?

Well considering that I never said that the Bears Manly merger was a good idea or whatever it is you think I said, it has been understood from the start, so maybe in the future you should actually read stuff before you respond to it...

Your whole stance has ignored the major fact that no serious genuine effort was made to benefit the code in this area. It was a shambolic attack on the game. So any argument to "justify" the dilution of the code, which you have presented, is flawed and spuriously a waste of time! You are still wasting our time!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Dont think so! Too much of an established fanbase Australia wide. Dancing with the devil is not wise. Look at rugby league in North Sydney! Virtually goooone!

That's the fault of the Bears, it is their area - they have refused to give it up so the blame lies squarely on their shoulders (as well as the NRL of course). This alone shows they are not deserving of a place in the NRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Shame on you for not championing Newtown's readmission with the fervour you have for NS. There was us thinking you were a champion for the traditions of RL in NSW! Like the rest you just pick and choose who you want in our are happy to see left out.

This is so true! I couldn't have put it better myself. He has no care for any of the strong QRL brands that have to make it work in the second teir either despite the fact that a NSW / QLD merge in the 80's instead of the Broncos could have had them as NRL powerhouses by now and we would have had SE QLD sewed up with three to four strong local brands for the last 30 years. Brisbane Lions and QLD Reds wouldn't have even got off the ground at all.

Stallion

First Grade
This is so true! I couldn't have put it better myself. He has no care for any of the strong QRL brands that have to make it work in the second teir either despite the fact that a NSW / QLD merge in the 80's instead of the Broncos could have had them as NRL powerhouses by now and we would have had SE QLD sewed up with three to four strong local brands for the last 30 years. Brisbane Lions and QLD Reds wouldn't have even got off the ground at all.

? Their is no disregard in any comments for more QLD clubs? In fact they are welcome and should be there! However by not respecting the origins of this revered competition you damage it by poor regard of such clubs like North Sydney and others. Simple as that!

Last edited:

Latest posts