What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...n/news-story/07648050dd9e6fbb8a3bde12402988c0

Deputy Premier John Barilaro widens opening for stadiums back down

Anna Caldwell, The Daily Telegraph
March 9, 2018 9:53am
DEPUTY Premier John Barilaro has widened the opening for a government back down on its stadiums policy this morning declaring “if there is red hot anger out there we’ve gotta take that on board in our final position”.

He made the remarks a day after a question time spray that was at odds with the tone taken by Premier Gladys Berejiklian, in which he said the government still needed to “make the final decision” on stadiums.

Mr Barilaro was interviewed on ABC Sydney radio this morning, saying the government had a history of changing position on major policies.

“We’ve changed our position on a number of policies…we weren’t gonna back down on councils, we weren’t gonna back down on greyhounds, we weren’t gonna back down on a couple of things”.

In comments that appeared to take a bet each way, he said he couldn’t see a reason why they would back down on stadiums but it was possible.

“I can’t see why we would back down on these two, on the stadium position because on the information that we previously had should stack up and we should proceed,” he said.

“But I’ve learnt in politics never say never,” he said.

“You’ve gotta learn to listen and if there is red hot anger out there we’ve gotta take that on board in our final position.”

Internal speculation is that the government is wedded to rebuilding Allianz stadium and that if a back down was to occur it would relate to the plans for ANZ.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said this morning on the Alan Jones 2GB show saying Allianz stadium would “absolutely be rebuilt”.

“That’s a no brainer,” she said.

“An absolute no brainer. The stadium doesn’t comply with a range of codes…There is no reason why a good government shouldn’t invest in that stadium and rebuild it.”

Jones pointed out to Berejiklian that if ANZ didn’t go ahead the state would not be able to host NRL grand finals and Bledisloe Cup matches.

Ms Berejiklian agreed with him, but did not re-state her commitment to ANZ. She was not asked in the interview.

“Diversity of the stadium network”

What utter nonsense from Ayres. There’s absolutely no need for a 45,000 seat stadium, we know how few events fit into that mid sized category. It can also easily be overcome by making the club mode at ANZ world class.

insert.pause

First Grade
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...n/news-story/07648050dd9e6fbb8a3bde12402988c0

Deputy Premier John Barilaro widens opening for stadiums back down

Anna Caldwell, The Daily Telegraph
March 9, 2018 9:53am
DEPUTY Premier John Barilaro has widened the opening for a government back down on its stadiums policy this morning declaring “if there is red hot anger out there we’ve gotta take that on board in our final position”.

He made the remarks a day after a question time spray that was at odds with the tone taken by Premier Gladys Berejiklian, in which he said the government still needed to “make the final decision” on stadiums.

Mr Barilaro was interviewed on ABC Sydney radio this morning, saying the government had a history of changing position on major policies.

“We’ve changed our position on a number of policies…we weren’t gonna back down on councils, we weren’t gonna back down on greyhounds, we weren’t gonna back down on a couple of things”.

In comments that appeared to take a bet each way, he said he couldn’t see a reason why they would back down on stadiums but it was possible.

“I can’t see why we would back down on these two, on the stadium position because on the information that we previously had should stack up and we should proceed,” he said.

“But I’ve learnt in politics never say never,” he said.

“You’ve gotta learn to listen and if there is red hot anger out there we’ve gotta take that on board in our final position.”

Internal speculation is that the government is wedded to rebuilding Allianz stadium and that if a back down was to occur it would relate to the plans for ANZ.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said this morning on the Alan Jones 2GB show saying Allianz stadium would “absolutely be rebuilt”.

“That’s a no brainer,” she said.

“An absolute no brainer. The stadium doesn’t comply with a range of codes…There is no reason why a good government shouldn’t invest in that stadium and rebuild it.”

Jones pointed out to Berejiklian that if ANZ didn’t go ahead the state would not be able to host NRL grand finals and Bledisloe Cup matches.

Ms Berejiklian agreed with him, but did not re-state her commitment to ANZ. She was not asked in the interview.
Gladys is such a sycophant, Jones is on the SCG Trust, she is doing what she's told. Gutless wonder.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
“Diversity of the stadium network”

What utter nonsense from Ayres. There’s absolutely no need for a 45,000 seat stadium, we know how few events fit into that mid sized category. It can also easily be overcome by making the club mode at ANZ world class.

The SFS proposal just seems useless...

Why not put that money into regional stadiums? I know Newcastle or Wollongong would appreciate it. Even just a 10k stadiums in Wagga or Tamworth or something would probably be more useful.

Hell, they would probably get more value for money building a stadium in Queanbeyan and trying to entice the Raiders across the border.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think in the perfect world having the 2 rebuilt rectangle stadiums would be the best outcome for the Nrl and I think the nrl has so far tried to have a foot in both camps. With the latest developments with the nsw gov distancing themselves from the ANZ Stadium and backing the trust the Nrl needs to lay it all on the table.
The figures that have been spoken about have always been blurred and the Nrl needs to make a stand with the facts.

ANZ Stadium $1.25mil 75k
45ish nrl games
Gf for 20yrs
Yearly Origin game
Kangaroo test matches
10 Women’s nrl games wnrl, origins, tests
Plus other potential games (wcc, 9’s, allstars)
5ish Waratahs games.
Wallabies games (3-5)
2/3 soccer internationals
Average 20-30k

Allianz stadium $900mil 45k
10 rooster nrl games
10/15 soccer games
10 Waratahs games
Plus 5ish other games (gf)
Average 10-15k

Concerts played at both but a brand new Anz would be preferred by most I would assume. Allianz is a medium size but Anz would be a world class large stadium. If Anz could have a 20-30k intimate mode that would look after all rectangle codes. It blows my mind that Anz isn’t done first to satisfy everyone.

The SFS proposal just seems useless...

Why not put that money into regional stadiums? I know Newcastle or Wollongong would appreciate it. Even just a 10k stadiums in Wagga or Tamworth or something would probably be more useful.

Hell, they would probably get more value for money building a stadium in Queanbeyan and trying to entice the Raiders across the border.

Id like to see Newcastle finished off and Wollongong with a stand down the eastern side, even those stands are the ends could be improved.

But Allianz definitely needs to be rebuilt. Just not to 45k.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Ayers kept saying on ray Hadley show ..

How good would it be for Surrey hills to be painted blue before an origin game at the new sfs ..

Wait what

Why the f**k would we play Soo at a 45k stadium when it averages 69k in Sydney since 2000

M2D2

Bench
Ayers kept saying on ray Hadley show ..

How good would it be for Surrey hills to be painted blue before an origin game at the new sfs ..

Wait what

Why the f**k would we play Soo at a 45k stadium when it averages 69k in Sydney since 2000
Because his plan is to get SFS rebuilt first at 45k while ANZ is getting rebuilt.

M2D2

Bench
Because it might be 2. Depending on how fast it gets built.
Plus hes an SCG trust merkin. Of course he wants that, more money for his friends.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Id like to see Newcastle finished off and Wollongong with a stand down the eastern side, even those stands are the ends could be improved.

But Allianz definitely needs to be rebuilt. Just not to 45k.

Not so sure about a stand on the eastern side at Wollongong, it would be right along the beach and not sure wether the council would allow it, I always wondered about the hook around bit from the northern stand that comes around on the eastern side, was that originally designed with a possible extension along the eastern side ? The stand at the southern end that was put in at the early 90s needs to be demolished and replaced,

Not so sure about a stand on the eastern side at Wollongong, it would be right along the beach and not sure wether the council would allow it, I always wondered about the hook around bit from the northern stand that comes around on the eastern side, was that originally designed with a possible extension along the eastern side ? The stand at the southern end that was put in at the early 90s needs to be demolished and replaced,

Yeah I’m not sure, it’s certainly quite close to the beach but there does appear room for it. Could raise some insurance issues though.

Saint Doc

Coach
Given the natural beauty of the beach side of WIN, I’d like the see a steep, single tear stand without a roof. You don’t want to block the view!

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember being down there for a game in 1993 when Illawarra played the Roosters early in the season and I sat on the eastern hill, there was a good crowd at the game and there was a good crowd on the beach too, it was a great sight watching the game but also having the beach and the waves behind you.

beave

Coach

Side note, Im f**king sure i read it back in the day when I lived in Sydney that the northern stand at Wollongong has components in it that come from the Homebush Olympics Aquatic centre when they downsized it after the 2000 games???? The ‘wrap around’ bit you speak of i think that was transported down. Hence why it looks kinda out of place.

I’d hate to see the hill go at Wollongong. Even though I have never seen my dickheads win there and I have copped some
Royal abuse by the locals on the hill in the mid 90’s (our first ever win in 1995 stands out) and during the 2k’s, I always loved going there for a game and sitting on the hill. Had an old school charm about it.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The libs need to re-do their policy before Foley comes out with his partys policy to combat the Govts

to satisfy the baying dummies saying its too much spent on sport & the ERC
wind back Allianz to a Parramatta stadium sized venue saving about 400 Million
some are saying put a roof on
that'd cost a lot so no , lets not

the ANZ plan remains the same
ensuring the NRL GF stays in Sydney for a very long time

it runs Foley off his rails , he can't argue against it , or if he does the Libs can point out they're keeping everyone as happy as they can whilst being economically responsible
job done
do it

Last edited:

Latest posts