What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...d/news-story/30c7977feb2c5d0fd3e36c4b040f6e69

Go-ahead nears for Allianz Stadium rebuild
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM March 12, 2018
  • Andrew Clennell
    5bcf05474f86ed11782a5560601a47f3
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is expected to press forward with the announcement this week of the full knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium but the reconstruction of ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park is tipped to be downsized, delayed or even dumped.

The final business case for Allianz Stadium (or the Sydney Football Stadium) in Sydney’s east is scheduled to go to cabinet’s expenditure review committee on Wednesday evening and cabinet on Thursday before an expected announcement on Thursday.

The case going to cabinet committee this week includes only the 45,000-seat Allianz option pushed by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres, effectively ruling out the 30,000-seat option pushed by some, including the NRL.

Government sources said Infrastructure NSW chairman Jim Betts had been asked to pull the cost of the stadium back from its blowout to $900 million to close to the original $705m announced in November, meaning some technology and innovation plans for the stadium may have to be dumped. A decision on the future of the planned $1.25 billion knockdown and rebuild of ANZ Stadium is expected in about a month.

Opposition Leader Luke Foley, who has previously expressed a desire to refurbish ANZ Stadium to make it rectangular, reiterated that if work on Allianz Stadium began before next March’s election, he might not proceed with the construction of ANZ if elected.

“We’ll announce our policy in good time, but we need to see what this government’s final commitments are,” Mr Foley said. “There’s a limited pot of money.

“I’ve been honest all the way through when you ask me what should be the priority for limited government expenditure on stadiums; I’ve always said a sensible refurbishment of the ground in the geographical heart of Sydney that hosts grand finals and State of Origins and Bledisloe Cups.

“That’s my preference, but let me tell you if they blow all the money on a new Moore Park stadium, there’ll be nothing left for the Olympic Stadium and that’s why I’m fighting this white elephant.”

Mr Foley’s pronouncement sets the scene for a potential east-versus-west stadiums fight ahead of the state election.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/p...-stadium-suit-rectangular-sport-ng-b88770342z

How did Optus Stadium suit rectangular sport?

Nick Taylor | PerthNow
March 11, 2018 12:13PM

IT might be stating the obvious but Optus Stadium is an oval.

A stadium designed mainly for football and cricket. Ideally rugby league and other rectangular field sports should be played in a rectangle stadium.

Dropping a 120m long 65m wide pitch into a 165m by 130 oval tells its own story.

This was Optus Stadium’s first test in rectangular form - well almost.

Extra seats were added on one side and both ends but it still left 38,824 spectators a long way from the action – a very long way on one side.

Rugby fans like to be close enough to hear the contact, soccer spectators to see the skills.

There is no doubt it is better than Subiaco Oval, a shocking stadium for rectangular sports.

No doubt facilities are second to none and the atmosphere yesterday was terrific.

And given that it will only get a rectangular airing once or twice a year it is what it is for a reason – an oval.

1520741696758_GKS1GT6RO.1-0.jpg

Close to 40,000 punters turned up to see some rugby league.Picture: Getty Images

Those responsible for bringing the games to Perth were very happy.

Stadium chief executive Mike McKenna said 3800 seats had been brought in to close in on the pitch. Another 1200 can be added on the side left open for the double header.

“On the back of this I think the NRL will be very keen to come back and have another look,” McKenna said.

“This is a great example of what we can do when you provide the right venue, the right facilities, the right teams.

“The key thing is, we are bringing people a little bit closer to the action.”

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said the gamble of bringing the first round double-header had paid off.

“Great crowd, unbelievably great stadium, very happy,” he said.

“We’ve been coming to Perth regularly and want to continue to build it. Bringing a round one double header was really important. Origin next year is a big stake in the ground.

“We’re very pleased with the outcome. The stadium is a wonderful thing for the people of Western Australia. They should be very proud of it.”

Greenberg hoped there could be further double-headers and single games.

“We’ve got a nice little niche here and want to continue to build on it,” he said.

Marlins

Juniors
Seriously how f**ked would it be if they did moore Park and not Homebush.

I would seriously ditch ANZ for majority of NRL games and play them at the new parra stadium. Only the big Sydney derbies Easter etc.

Eels, Bulldogs, Wests to Call western Sydney stadium home. While Souths might as well split games between WSS & Moore park.

On top of that take the GF away from Sydney on a rotation for top bidder and one SOO per year.

Billythekid

First Grade
The NRL need to go nuclear if that happens. Take away the GF from Sydney and play as few games as possible at ANZ. Play all of the international matches elsewhere as well.

The Allianz rebuild is a waste of money. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that big or expensive and is filling a relatively small niche compared to ANZ. The NRL need to keep fighting on this issue and play hardball if that's what happens.

insert.pause

First Grade
If ANZ gets dumped, delayed or altered the NRL can tear up yet another MoU and the NSW government lose out on ~$50M the GF injects into the economy each year, along with the embarrassment of being the country's largest city with no annual major event.

The process has been so blatantly corrupted that it should be the focus of an ICAC inquiry or at least a 7:30 Special Investigation. How do they justify spending $200m buying back the ANZ lease and then not do anything with the stadium? That effectively means they will have spent $1.1bn on a 45k seat stadium in the eastern suburbs that averages crowds around 13k and that has no major events & never will because it's too small.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Timbo

Staff member
This is just Foley posturing. He's found people who are opposed to the build and he's made it his crusade. His argument about schools and hospitals is just so plainly bad - is there ecer a time when more money shouldn't be spent on health and education? Of course not, but society needs sport and art facilities too.

From what I've been told by people in the know, the SFS re-build has to happen or the authorities won't certify its safety much longer. Gladys knows it. Foley knows it. All of the stakeholders know it.

I'm tipping that the SFS will get its 40,000 rebuild but done at the lower price and some of the bells and whistles stripped out. It was probably the plan all along so that they could 'compromise' and save a quarter of a billion dollars.

Foley is also not going to be the guy who loses Sydney the NRL Grand Final. He has about a 5% chance of ever becoming premier as is. It becomes a -1,000,000% chance if he loses the major annual sporting event from Sydney.

I honestly think there was probably never a genuine plan to knock down and rebuild them both. There was probably a plan for a new $700m SFS and extensive rebuild of ANZ in the $1bn range. When they still do them both, they'll be able to come out and say they've saved the taxpayer a billion dollars by compromising.

morley101

Juniors
By the next election in March next year surprise,surpise.....The Norwest Rail, Northconnex the M4 East , Sydney Light Rail and Parramatta stadium will be opened or very close to be opened and the SFS will have demolished. Nobody cares too much if a few hundred million extra to build infrastructure as the budget will still be good shape and the usual bribes will be announced before the election ( more schools and hospitals).

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The Nrl shouldn’t accept an Anz rebuild starting after the March 2019 election. The Nrl needs to get a answer out of the nsw gov ASAP. ANZ Stadium should be knocked down after this years gf. And suncorp getting next years gf. The fact that the current nsw gov is neck and neck with the opposition is enough for the Nrl to question the decision to rebuild Anz after the election. The MOU was dependent on the fact both will be rebuilt and now the gov ministers are distancing themselves from that stance. If the Nrl don’t get the MOU conditions, clubs/Nrl need to make it known in the media that they will commit to suburban grounds and stay away from Allianz at all costs (bar roosters). A concerted effort for proposals for Penrith, brookvale, win stadium, shark park, Belmore stadium etc needs to be promoted in the media to discredit the nsw gov decisions.

That being said, I wish a sheikh or someone could come in and throw $200mil into the Nrl kitty to get the freehold rights to ANZ Stadium rebuild over the line.

Western stadium apparently is costing $300m

Why would Allianz would be 3 times the cost ?

$300m was the initial costing, final cost will be closer to $400m from what I’ve read.

Allianz will be getting the SCG trust gold plating. Members area alone I imagine will be a huge part of the cost, but they’ll have chairman’s lounges etc too. $900m cost may also include a roof and it includes the club mode to make it appear smaller for certain games.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
By the next election in March next year surprise,surpise.....The Norwest Rail, Northconnex the M4 East , Sydney Light Rail and Parramatta stadium will be opened or very close to be opened and the SFS will have demolished. Nobody cares too much if a few hundred million extra to build infrastructure as the budget will still be good shape and the usual bribes will be announced before the election ( more schools and hospitals).

Exactly. Foley has zero chance of winning the election. Both stadiums will be built.

What you read and what is reality are two different things.
Nothing official about final costings has ever been released. To date, it has all been speculation.

Sure, but it’s the most we have to go on. I’d be stunned if the original costing didn’t blow out.

Suitman

Post Whore
Sure, but it’s the most we have to go on. I’d be stunned if the original costing didn’t blow out.

Why would you be stunned?
Almost all govt project costs blow out.
I'd be waiting for final costings, rather than believe speculation from shock jocks and tabloid media, furthering their own agenda's.
That's all I'm saying.