What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Steve Smith

Drag Queen

Bench
Now watch and listen to what the great Sachin Tendulkar had to say about ball tampering.

All I got was a black screen Frank. Is there a link? Trust me the Indians were relying on Smith and Warner to play IPL. The amount of money these two bring to the international stage is unfathomable. Perhaps not as much $$$ that the yank athletes get but still big money. I still believe the ban was warranted. Half Kiwi/ half Oz. It was the clean up that cricket needed. They'll rebuild but it shows the rest of the world that we don't condone cheating. Hopefully it rubs off on other teams. Nothing left to say on the matter.

Como Connection

First Grade
Admittedly it's been a very long while since I studied media law, but has anyone considered that Warner's non commital answers were tempered by legal advice?

That is, if he dared allude to other individuals' involvement- or God forbid, mention specific names - possible class action could result.

Yes, Warner's answers were scripted and unsatisfactory, however he 'might' have his hands tied to some degree.
He is and always was a dick head.
How he ever got 2IC in the test team is beyond me.
CC

Frank Facer

First Grade
CC
Warner is one of the best openers to ever play for Australia. He is a match winner. He can destroy opposition attacks single handedly . He is probably the best attacking opener I have ever seen play for Australia. He is the second best Australian batsman right now and only behind Smith who is the second best test batsman in cricket history. Only 11 other batsman in world cricket have retired with better test average at opener than Warner.

Drag Queen

Bench
Admittedly it's been a very long while since I studied media law, but has anyone considered that Warner's non commital answers were tempered by legal advice?

That is, if he dared allude to other individuals' involvement- or God forbid, mention specific names - possible class action could result.

Yes, Warner's answers were scripted and unsatisfactory, however he 'might' have his hands tied to some degree.
I'd be bloody surprised if he went down that road tbh. If his answers to the journos were disingenuous much like Smith's and Bancroft's, I'll slash my ankles and die a slow death. All scripted, crocodile tears with the exception of Bancroft, same old script without the tears. Sutherland needs to go too.

Como Connection

First Grade
Warner is one of the best openers to ever play for Australia. He is a match winner. He can destroy opposition attacks single handedly . He is probably the best attacking opener I have ever seen play for Australia. He is the second best Australian batsman right now and only behind Smith who is the second best test batsman in cricket history. Only 11 other batsman in world cricket have retired with better test average at opener than Warner.
Do you agree he is a dickhead or not.
CC

ouryears

Bench
CC
Don't agree at all.
Warner plays tough.
If we become the pussycats of cricket, watch us fail.
Of course a team needs to balance their approach, and the Aussies were about right in their balance.
The decision to ball tamper was wrong, but not a hanging offence whatsoever.

The hate and hysteria is pathetic.

I hope Warner kicks arse in his legal action.

ouryears

Bench
Or, he and his family were oppressed and he shot in self defence.
Yes, I like your version.

Next thing someone will say the Aboriginals murdered the pommy invaders, I think they were perhaps defending themselves too.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I would be very very surprised if Warner wears the baggy green again.....in.my opinion he will pursue limited over Cricket in whatever form hes able to play or chooses to play in........whether thats forced on him or his choice remains to be seen I guess

Old Timer

Coach
Or, he and his family were oppressed and he shot in self defence.
Depends whether you are a romantacist or a realist
Reality says a lot of people were oppressed and never robbed a bank or shot anyone.
Kelly built a metal helmet and a metal chest plate so if you think that was for self defence rather than protection for the imminent trouble you were going to get in for the actions you were about to undertake then I believe you have a stilted view of history.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
If Warner played for any other nation but ours we would hate him. God look how some Australians react to Kohli. We are pretty good at the bullying, oops sorry, banter, but that is what makes us Australian apparently. Any reason why we refused to have stump mics used this tour? Maybe it was in case we got caught 'crossing the line' with 'hard but fair' sledging. Warner is an outstanding batsmen, a brilliant fielder and possesses a personality that has elements of leadership BUT ultimately he is a schoolyard bully. We may lose more games without him but he will be cut adrift by CA. Mind you I would not be surprised if a back room deal is done with him where he wins the right to play in the Indian comp because he just might threaten to challenge the nice little idea that our bowlers didn't know what was going on.....yeah right.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Depends whether you are a romantacist or a realist
Reality says a lot of people were oppressed and never robbed a bank or shot anyone.
Kelly built a metal helmet and a metal chest plate so if you think that was for self defence rather than protection for the imminent trouble you were going to get in for the actions you were about to undertake then I believe you have a stilted view of history.
Well your point of view is different to a number of current historians and lawyers. These include people that would consider themselves realists, and not swayed by emotions or prejudice.

It's true that the Kelly question still splits public opinion to this day, we have to accept that not everyone agrees. But there are facts that place this outside of what you dismiss as 'romanticism'.