What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 V Eels

franklin2323

Immortal
One thing that hook has got right lately is the forward rotations ( apart from taking RCG off last 10, but to be fair he was looking pretty tired). Not trying to work 4 forwards into the game gives them all more minutes and it is working nicely.
Egan will get his time, and the game yesterday was a defensive slog fest not really suited to a rookie. Wallace had a pretty good game.
The peachy debate will be a thing all year, he did enough to be there again if needed but if a centre position is open it would be crazy not to move him.
A home game against the pantherette titans is as safe as it gets to put lua in or give Egan big minutes.

I wouldn't risk Blake. If DWZ is back I'd put him centre given is just a week. If not Peachey out there. Luai and Wallace can share 5/8th with Egan hooker

OldPanther

Coach
It is why I'd rather Katoa on the bench if Wallace plays. I'd rather Egan get a game in NSW Cup then not a game

If he's not there and we get ahead like the Cows game he gets to play against first grade players though which is more important. Catch 22.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
One of the best defensive games we have had in i dont know how long.

This was our issue last year, Parra played better than they have all year yesterday, they threw everything at us but we just held them out time and time again.

We are not going to win every game with a highlight reel of the Cowboys game, these are the wins we need to scrap together...

Now on to the next one....

betcats

Referee
Just doesn't look powerful or fast. Completely non threatening but he has been safe. He's only a kid and will improve but I just don't see a long first grade career for him

He doesn't get manhandled on the kick returns, hes got some strength and he had great footwork and acceleration when I saw him in the 20s so hopefully we see that soon, hes no world beater but think back to waqa and dallins first 5-10 games in FG, he looks like he belongs there more than they did IMO.

MrBlack

Juniors
I was thinking this. We are 4/5 just like the Tigers, but they have taken on far more impressive teams. I would easily take their start of the season against ours.

Hmmm.. We have won 4 from 5 based more on defensive efforts. In our 5 games we have played and beaten a top 4 team from last year (twice) and last years grand finalist. We also beat a team that put 50 on us the last time we played them.

As the ladder stands today none of the top 4 have played each other yet. They have all had wins against teams below them on the ladder.

tripster

Juniors
He doesn't get manhandled on the kick returns, hes got some strength and he had great footwork and acceleration when I saw him in the 20s so hopefully we see that soon, hes no world beater but think back to waqa and dallins first 5-10 games in FG, he looks like he belongs there more than they did IMO.

Agree with all of that. He also seems to have safe hands - has he even dropped one ball coming out of our own end, despite usually attracting three defenders?

He has also taken some tough carries from dummy half near our own line and hasn’t been pushed back into the in goal.

MrBlack

Juniors
Agree with all of that. He also seems to have safe hands - has he even dropped one ball coming out of our own end, despite usually attracting three defenders?

He has also taken some tough carries from dummy half near our own line and hasn’t been pushed back into the in goal.

He is holding up that wing position until DWZ comes back. For mine he gets a pass mark right now and will be better for the experience.

betcats

Referee
Anyway it was obviously a scrappy game against a struggling team and our attack wasn't particularly great. But im just really happy to see that defensive improvement and resolve.

franklin2323

Immortal
He is holding up that wing position until DWZ comes back. For mine he gets a pass mark right now and will be better for the experience.

This is how will build depth. Touch wood we don't need it but if we need him or Egan in the finals this stint here will help. They will go back to NSW Cup knowing they can handle FG and go back and further develop

franklin2323

Immortal
If he's not there and we get ahead like the Cows game he gets to play against first grade players though which is more important. Catch 22.

Yeah it is a tough one. I trust the powers that be with getting players ready for FG. They will send him back when he needs it. Like Flegg players starting to float into NSW Cup we do that side of it well. Getting them to make the step up from FG to rep is the issue so far

franklin2323

Immortal
Hmmm.. We have won 4 from 5 based more on defensive efforts. In our 5 games we have played and beaten a top 4 team from last year (twice) and last years grand finalist. We also beat a team that put 50 on us the last time we played them.

As the ladder stands today none of the top 4 have played each other yet. They have all had wins against teams below them on the ladder.

NQ have easy games to come by the next time we play them they could be top 8.

Before the year started most here would say to beat NQ away and Parra away with Cleary and both games having a player binned was impossible

MrBlack

Juniors
Something else to consider is our management of Referees this year.

We are winning games on the wrong end of penalty counts and numerous players now spending time in the bin. This can be attributed to good game management as well. Melbourne used to do it so well.

Also helps having 90% goal kickers. Penalty kicks kept both Parra and Nth Qld out of the game.

superpanther

Juniors
Something else to consider is our management of Referees this year.

We are winning games on the wrong end of penalty counts and numerous players now spending time in the bin. This can be attributed to good game management as well. Melbourne used to do it so well.

Also helps having 90% goal kickers. Penalty kicks kept both Parra and Nth Qld out of the game.

yeah we have a really poor backup goal kicker don't we.. how many teams would be happy with one goal kicker at 80% +

Latest posts