What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Storm @ AAMI Park

Who will win? Round 6: Storm v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spot On

Coach
Now questions have to be asked. On average we have the worst defense in the comp, for what is probably the 3rd year running..

Absolutely agree with this. That said, we've shown more line speed and aggression when playing at home.

We play away and we revert to this stand and wait shit, contact up high with no aggression at all, we let ball carrier power forward with defenders all over him, we let the ball carrier slip the odd offload away or hardly get put to the ground as we are seemingly to weak to do that plus we dont seem to get enough legs tacklers. Then if we do get the ball carrier on the ground he seems to get up with ease, twice as quickly as we do when tackled, and get a quick play the ball even with 2 or 3 players laying on him.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I've been a Sione apologist for a while now but I simply can't defend him after tonight. He is out of position on literally every defensive set and rushes up on players and misses tackles, and it's not like he makes up for it in attack either. He was dreadful tonight, absolutely dreadful. He needs a spell in reserves to learn how to tackle. At this stage I wouldn't be re-signing him either tbh.

Burwood

Bench
It's been a common sight from centres this season- they jam up when the ball gets shifted wide and put lots of pressure on the ball carrier. It's been a very effective tactic used by teams. Unfortunately, Sione can't stick the tackle and all it does is put all the pressure back on our defence instead.

Frederick

Staff member
This was a game that you’d swear you’d seen about 20 times before from us... It looked so much like bassically all of last year.

The luck wasn’t on our side in a big way, and I defiantly think we still showed plenty of fight, just like we did last year. But what is majorly dissapointing is we still have periods of game and moments where we are just plain awful. And that’s i cannot accept from this side this year, they are a better and more experienced team then last season, our worst periods of play need to be closer to our best.
It was 13 v 15 tonight (and 12 v 15 for 10 minutes). Forget the saving face, square up penalties at the back of the first half, these were two very home town refs in charge of the game tonight. After that first 20 minutes where they ignored forward passes and gifted the storm 7 penalties and 80% possession, we were always going to lose. The boys did well to score 14, and could've easily scored more, but that first 20 minutes f**ked us over too much and raised the fatigue levels too early.

Also Watson needs to come back ASAP. Never seen a half stunt attacking raids more than Lamb does. Even Rudder was capable of keeping attacking plays going ffs

Bartwah

Juniors
Sione was awful tonight, but why wouldn’t you rush in when you’re defending next to lamb. Brock couldn’t tackle an under 11 player. I’d love to know where the people are that were shouting for the club to bend over backwards to sign him.

Noname36

First Grade
Now questions have to be asked. On average we have the worst defense in the comp, for what is probably the 3rd year running..

It comes down to discipline. They give away mountains of possession. Large amounts of points are always going to follow. We gave away over double the penalties the Storm did, had a player sin binned and gave them 80% of possession in the first 20 minutes.

Even the best defensive sides in the comp would have scorelines put on them with our discipline.

Spot On

Coach
Guerra giving away 2 early penalties (both stripping the ball) was just effing dumb from a bloke with his experience. Put is on the back foot straight away.

Last edited:

Dave_

Juniors
It was 13 v 15 tonight (and 12 v 15 for 10 minutes). Forget the saving face, square up penalties at the back of the first half, these were two very home town refs in charge of the game tonight. After that first 20 minutes where they ignored forward passes and gifted the storm 7 penalties and 80% possession, we were always going to lose. The boys did well to score 14, and could've easily scored more, but that first 20 minutes f**ked us over too much and raised the fatigue levels too early.

Also Watson needs to come back ASAP. Never seen a half stunt attacking raids more than Lamb does. Even Rudder was capable of keeping attacking plays going ffs
Absolutely. It cannot be understated how badly we were rorted in that first 20. No team comes back from that kind of blatant unfairness. We hung in there though and we're only a few good signings away from being a clinical side. We need our absolute best side on the park in every game to make the 8 this year though. Watson MUST return soon....Lamb is utter trash.

Noname36

First Grade
I’d play Buhrer at 6 I think just as a running/tackling half until Watson gets back. He couldn’t hurt the attack as much as Lamb. I was going to say Cogger but we need some stability there defensively.

That way we could put another bigger body on the bench too.

I reckon Griffin could do 6. He virtually played there a bit last week.
Issue is I can't see Levi doing 80. Could utilise Buhrer

Glendale

Juniors
I feel like Lamb’s game was made to look a lot worse by the fact Storm targeted him all game, in attack and defence. He didn’t start last season looking that great either, but got better and better and showed he was the goods at the back end of the year. I dunno about dropping him, Cogger is going to the Dogs next year so there’s not much point, and he isn’t better then Lamb. A freshen up in Reggie’s could help Lamb I think but I don’t really mind just picking him until Watson comes back.

mozza91

Coach
I never thought he was so slow, so weak and so frail.

He seemed to get better defensively last season. f**ked if I know what I was watching.
He did. Late last year he looked a very good player. His defence improved a great deal over the year. He seems to have regressed badly this year though.