What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fumbleball ambassadors

LeagueXIII

First Grade
All this talk about Sydney becoming an AFL town....sh*t, what about Melbourne maturing and embracing rugby league. From a base of virtually zero rugby league in the last 20 years has Melbourne Storm a very accepted part now of the city's sporting culture. I live in Melbourne and very rarely does a day go by when I don't see a sticker on a car or some form of Storm merchandise around. The Rebels no one cares about.
The Storm play in a magnificent 30,000 stadium.
Have great training and rehab facilities.
The government is building a RL Academy to the value of $12 million.
The junior league is going well. Victoria now challenges WA and NT to be third behind QLD and NSW.
Schools play the game.
TV ratings are good.

All these things yet the media spruiks about the Swans....and Giants. Aussie Rules has always had a presence in Sydney. I can recall the local Sydney AR Grand Final was broadcast live on Channel 7 in 1980 from 2pm to 5pm Plus the extensive coverage of VFL and even the SA grand final in Sydney.

The Giants will have millions poured into them for a sweet fa result as the AFL will not admit it was the super league war that gave the Swans the biggest kick along something that GWS will never get.
The midgets and the thuns will seriously deplete aFL funds at the very least.
They could quite possibly bankrupt the aFL in the long term unless they come up with a proper business plan

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We need a team in Perth and a second Brisbane team ASAP. As long as the perception is that we are a NSW / QLD game only, the more of this reporting will happen. We need the WA Pirates in place, and slowly growing into what the storm are becoming. Then we will have:

• Sydney - I'm hoping with the new stadia we will have at least one match each weekend in Sydney that will match the Swan's attendances (or at least crack 30k)
  • Brisbane - a game EVERY week around about the 30k mark - also a second NRL side, done correctly, will pretty much be the final nail in the coffin for the Lions and Reds
  • Melbourne - quickly pushing up close to 20k attendances and 25k members, they will start to close in on the bottom AFL teams within a decade
  • Perth - need to have them pulling 15k average and then push towards 20k within 10 - 15 years focusing on their membership base
  • Auckland - Warriors need to get some consistent success - they have all the talent in the world, they need someone to get them organised and pull it all together into a team that is a perenial finalist and win a few premierships and they will easily cruise up into second place behind the All Blacks in the NZ sporting market
This is the kind of vision the NRL needs to stop this BS. The AFL have done nothing:
  • Lions are nothing
  • GWS is nothing
  • Suns are nothing
  • Swans had a SL war leg-up and the benefit of the entire code's supporters in the country's biggest city pooled into their club but after 36 years still only pull 30 - 35k average and poor TV ratings in Sydney.
This narrative that the AFL are unstoppable is false. The only reason it looks that way is because the NRL won't expand, the A-League has stagnated and RU is a basket case.

We need a team in Perth and a second Brisbane team ASAP. As long as the perception is that we are a NSW / QLD game only, the more of this reporting will happen. We need the WA Pirates in place, and slowly growing into what the storm are becoming. Then we will have:

• Sydney - I'm hoping with the new stadia we will have at least one match each weekend in Sydney that will match the Swan's attendances (or at least crack 30k)
  • Brisbane - a game EVERY week around about the 30k mark - also a second NRL side, done correctly, will pretty much be the final nail in the coffin for the Lions and Reds
  • Melbourne - quickly pushing up close to 20k attendances and 25k members, they will start to close in on the bottom AFL teams within a decade
  • Perth - need to have them pulling 15k average and then push towards 20k within 10 - 15 years focusing on their membership base
  • Auckland - Warriors need to get some consistent success - they have all the talent in the world, they need someone to get them organised and pull it all together into a team that is a perenial finalist and win a few premierships and they will easily cruise up into second place behind the All Blacks in the NZ sporting market
This is the kind of vision the NRL needs to stop this BS. The AFL have done nothing:
  • Lions are nothing
  • GWS is nothing
  • Suns are nothing
  • Swans had a SL war leg-up and the benefit of the entire code's supporters in the country's biggest city pooled into their club but after 36 years still only pull 30 - 35k average and poor TV ratings in Sydney.
This narrative that the AFL are unstoppable is false. The only reason it looks that way is because the NRL won't expand, the A-League has stagnated and RU is a basket case.
aFL is in serious decline at junior level in Victoria.
Soccer is killing aFL there.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
aFL is in serious decline at junior level in Victoria.
Soccer is killing aFL there.

Nice!

I don't know if it's just me but I feel that RL has a more cooperative relationship with football than AFL does. They seem to fear football so much. Maybe its because both games have their heartland in Western Sydney and always have so the relationship is more natural.

Dodgy

Juniors
All this talk about Sydney becoming an AFL town....sh*t, what about Melbourne maturing and embracing rugby league. From a base of virtually zero rugby league in the last 20 years has Melbourne Storm a very accepted part now of the city's sporting culture. I live in Melbourne and very rarely does a day go by when I don't see a sticker on a car or some form of Storm merchandise around. The Rebels no one cares about.
The Storm play in a magnificent 30,000 stadium.
Have great training and rehab facilities.
The government is building a RL Academy to the value of $12 million.
The junior league is going well. Victoria now challenges WA and NT to be third behind QLD and NSW.
Schools play the game.
TV ratings are good.

All these things yet the media spruiks about the Swans....and Giants. Aussie Rules has always had a presence in Sydney. I can recall the local Sydney AR Grand Final was broadcast live on Channel 7 in 1980 from 2pm to 5pm Plus the extensive coverage of VFL and even the SA grand final in Sydney.
The only thing I'm not sure about, will Storm's popularity carry over when they have a spell at the bottom of the table, especially without Smith and Slater there?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The only thing I'm not sure about, will Storm's popularity carry over when they have a spell at the bottom of the table, especially without Smith and Slater there?

There will be a dip, no doubt but the NRL salary cap tends to rotate teams from the bottom back to the top pretty quickly, especially if you are a well run team. So when they cycle back to the top they should push forward a little more.

Melbourne sports fans seem to be fairly religious about their team too. The Storm have positioned themselves nicely with ex-pat Kiwis, QLDers, NSWelshmen and as the preferred second team for open minded AFL fans.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The thing is, people say 25 or younger are growing up without the sporting bigotry of older Melbournians and have an appreciation and understanding of league. As these people get older and have children watch the Storm get a bigger following in Melbourne.

The future is very bright for the club.

LESStar58

Referee

• Lions are nothing
  • GWS is nothing
  • Suns are nothing

a 2nd team in Brisbane would kill AFL in QLD. Have rugby league in Brisbane every week and watch the interest in AFL nosedive.

heights

Juniors
How is this for controlling the media.

I saw on the Foxsports page this afternoon that some ex AFL player is in a sex tape. The story didn't name him but says its being shown all over social media.

So I get my phone and use the voice command on Google "Video of AFL player in sex tape" thinking that if the tape is all over social media something will come up.

Google allows all of the words to go in until sex, then instead of the words sex and tape the voice command comes up with S************ and it takes me through to a list of sites the first being the official AFL site.

Am I just naive re technology or being paranoid re the tentacles of the AFL or is this very strange???

I'm sure if it was an NRL player the search result would have been much different.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your being paranoid! In the same week afl scandal stories have been front page news in Melbourne and Perth. I googled same thimg and it came up with the news link in the Adelaide media, I’d suggest it is your settings rather than an afl conspiracy lol.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Your being paranoid! In the same week afl scandal stories have been front page news in Melbourne and Perth. I googled same thimg and it came up with the news link in the Adelaide media, I’d suggest it is your settings rather than an afl conspiracy lol.

That's fine but the media don't link them all together repeatedly playing them saying the game is in crisis and the culture of the sport should be questioned. They show each one individually for a day or two then they go away.

Perth Red living in Perth you should know better the cover ups of the drug culture at the Eagles in the 2000's because they were winning. Management never held to account, the coach, John Worsfold (a chemist by occupation too lol) never held to account. The media never questioned the favoured sons of Perth. Years later a number of players are drug addicts, Cousins goes to jail, Daniel Kerr massive drug and police issues, Daniel Chick, Chris Mainwaring dies of drug overdose etc etc.

But hey nothing to see here guys, we're going to win the comp......lap dog media

Brutus

Referee

So are these papers saying AFL has a culture to despise?

That's fine but the media don't link them all together repeatedly playing them saying the game is in crisis and the culture of the sport should be questioned. They show each one individually for a day or two then they go away.

Perth Red living in Perth you should know better the cover ups of the drug culture at the Eagles in the 2000's because they were winning. Management never held to account, the coach, John Worsfold (a chemist by occupation too lol) never held to account. The media never questioned the favoured sons of Perth. Years later a number of players are drug addicts, Cousins goes to jail, Daniel Kerr massive drug and police issues, Daniel Chick, Chris Mainwaring dies of drug overdose etc etc.

But hey nothing to see here guys, we're going to win the comp......lap dog media
Sound arguments don't wash with Eeyore. He went through an airport this week. Case closed.