What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 9 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
While it's not one v two on the ladder (at present) it looks like it'll be the case soon, it's of course Dragons v Storm at Kogarah. Despite the hiding dished out to the Warriors last round I actually don't want the Storm to repeat that this week.

It can be a pretty boring comp when the Storm start dominating and it's a reason this season's so interesting, the pre-season predictions have, so far, been way off.

In saying that the Panthers look good, but they usually do, it's just that Storm, Cowboys, Broncos, Roosters, etc, are often rated more highly by so-called experts. You'd think the Cowboys would be absolutely desperate this Friday night at Penrith, and that should bring out the best in them, their famous 'never say die' spirit'. But then we've been saying that for weeks. They look shot this year.

If the Eels are going to be 'the story of 2018' then they're tasked with a tough trip to Shark Park. I'm actually cheering them on, with hopefully a blip in round eleven! Hearing that 'Parra!' chant whilst they're beating the Warriors isn't fun, especially in that 3/4 empty stadium at Homebush. Is Tony Williams capable of a rep comeback? It'll help if he's part of any Eels revival.

Broncos v Bulldogs tonight. Hmmm. A bit of dull footy to lead us into the weekend?

JJ

Immortal
Yep - I'm picking Penrith there, just like them so much - but their hospital ward is extensive - and they seem to be rotating backrowers in the centres, have no fullback, a new wing pairing every week, lost their likely SOO half (or their other one), no Wallace last week, yet they look really resilent

Really hope the Dragons roll Melbourne too - love that pack, hope they're for real this year (bit like us, but I am more convinced by them - but if Fittler is for real you probably have 4-5 of the NSW starting pack there, so they might suffer come SOO time

TheDMC

Bench
Yep - I'm picking Penrith there, just like them so much - but their hospital ward is extensive - and they seem to be rotating backrowers in the centres, have no fullback, a new wing pairing every week, lost their likely SOO half (or their other one), no Wallace last week, yet they look really resilent

Really hope the Dragons roll Melbourne too - love that pack, hope they're for real this year (bit like us, but I am more convinced by them - but if Fittler is for real you probably have 4-5 of the NSW starting pack there, so they might suffer come SOO time

You just utterly put me off tipping the panthers this weekend!

Blair

Coach
...Broncos v Bulldogs tonight. Hmmm. A bit of dull footy to lead us into the weekend?

Nah, good game, pretty exciting although some typical hometown decisions.

Big but young Payne Haas taken out in his first hit-up.

I notice the Origin hype has been ramped up this round, with ads on TV and discussion by commentators.

Benek

Juniors
Raymond Fatalia-Mariner played great, apparently has all season, wouldn't mind seeing him back in a warriors jersey at some point. Big motor.
Yeah from what I've seen and heard he's practically the Bulldogs most consistent player at the mo. I'd take him back for sure.

Blair

Coach
Didn't see the end of it but sounds like the same old story with the refs getting the Broncos home

If anything it was a dud finish to a game tied at 20-a-piece. Mbye did touch Boyd ever so slightly, it was unnecessary, Boyd wasn't ever scoring that try. He may have ever so slightly stumbled post 'contact'.

It was a technicality to end the game the home team's way.

Would the penalty have happened at Belmore? I'd say no, but if so, you wouldn't have a car with a Broncos sticker parked outside.

TheDMC

Bench
I thought the penalty against Mybe was over the top, touched him but didn’t impede his progress but apparently they have been ruling that a penalty all year... it was literally a touch not a grab. Broncos got far too much love from the refs that game it was pretty crap felt sorry for the doggies although good for my tipping.

Blair

Coach
I thought the penalty against Mybe was over the top, touched him but didn’t impede his progress but apparently they have been ruling that a penalty all year... it was literally a touch not a grab. Broncos got far too much love from the refs that game it was pretty crap felt sorry for the doggies although good for my tipping.

Another hometown decision that affected the result was that drop by Isaako in his own twenty, off the sixth tackle clearance. It went forwards but was called backwards. Momentum was with Dogs at that stage, with about ten mins to go and the Dogs in front.

Foran was clasping his shoulder ala JT at the end. I don't want to pick on the guy and I don't wish injury on him but I'm just glad he's not on some massive four-year deal with us.

As R & S mentioned he played poorly too.

TheDMC

Bench
Another hometown decision that affected the result was that drop by Isaako in his own twenty, off the sixth tackle clearance. It went forwards but was called backwards. Momentum was with Dogs at that stage, with about ten mins to go and the Dogs in front.

Yep, I'm no fan of the NRL interpretation of knock ons, because they have for years called every drop a knock on except for only the most blatant instances of when it has gone backwards. The rule interpretation has always like that (I hate it - and think Union refereeing is way better on knock ons/backs. That drop was technically marginal, but based on NRL history, should have been ruled a knock on every day of the week.

TheDMC

Bench
Yeah from what I've seen and heard he's practically the Bulldogs most consistent player at the mo. I'd take him back for sure.

I'd heard that too, hence when watching the game last night I was keeping a close eye on him. The dude was a machine, was everywhere and tackling everything. Hardest working player on the park, and for a big unit, incredible stamina. Although he didn't run heaps, every hit up was excellent. Super impressive. Shame he couldn't stop big Joe's try at the end, although it was some other fella's initial miss that was to blame.

Meth

Staff member
It was technically a penalty.

Common sense could have been applied and we would have gone to Golden Point.

Blair

Coach
It was technically a penalty.

Common sense could have been applied and we would have gone to Golden Point.

Maybe they just wanted to get straight to The Footy Show. Just on that, it was nice to have a quiet panel discussion of the game, instead of that circus we used to have when watching Nine in Sydney.

The 'circus' had its moments but, I don't know, I think it's time was up. They made the right call.

What follows NRL games on NZ TV?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Maybe they just wanted to get straight to The Footy Show. Just on that, it was nice to have a quiet panel discussion of the game, instead of that circus we used to have when watching Nine in Sydney.

The 'circus' had its moments but, I don't know, I think it's time was up. They made the right call.

What follows NRL games on NZ TV?

All the fox coverage, don't get any of the 9 stuff anymore

After a warriors game they have McIvor and co but I always switch that straight off

Latest posts