What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Rams

LESStar58

Referee
100% agree with you.

Although only Gold Coast/Western Suburbs/South Sydney were the only teams with lower average home crowds than the Rams for 1998, Wests and Souths as you said had been in the comp for decades, as had the Bulldogs that only averaged 8363/home game, which is about only another 900 more fans than Adelaide.

It was a bad decision for the NRL to cut the Rams and unfortunately they will have to wait until the 2nd expansion (from 18 to 20 teams) before Adelaide is in consideration for an NRL franchise.

I feel that had Adelaide been admitted in the 1995 expansion, the Allan Langer coup eventuated and the ARL/NRL persevered with Adelaide, things would've panned out very differently for the Rams. However, the writing was on the wall and the end was nigh once Ch9 Adelaide stopped televising Rams home games after they moved from Adelaide Oval halfway through the 1998 season. With no coverage of the local team on television, Ch9 shafting RL matches into the graveyard slot at the same Adelaide's interest in AFL went through the roof off the back of the Crows first premiership in '97 (and then going on to win it again in '98)...I can now see why ParraFan and others say that the Rams unfortunately came into first-grade at the wrong time. Just like North Sydney's demise, everything that could go wrong did go wrong for the Rams (e.g. in the case of the Gosford stadium construction, bad weather forced delays)

Had the Rams and Reds not been cut, the Melbourne Storm may have not formed until much later (as their inaugural squad was predominantly Western Reds and Hunter Mariners players, so in essence, the Storm was pretty much a Super League team). Perth will always go down as a "oh, what could've win" when you look at the inroads Rugby Union made once the Reds were dissolved, immediately playing a Wallabies test match at Subiaco the following year in 1998. All that ground Rugby Union gained since then is what should've belonged to rugby league, which makes it a bitter pill to swallow when you think about it.

Storm were due to come in pre Peace deal. If it was 2 comps in 98 Storm would have been in super leaguie although IIRC the ARL were also hatching a plan for a Melbourne team though I could be wrong about that

LESStar58

Referee
29513d797df45423a96194a2086b1080

kdalymc

Bench
Storm were due to come in pre Peace deal. If it was 2 comps in 98 Storm would have been in super leaguie although IIRC the ARL were also hatching a plan for a Melbourne team though I could be wrong about that

correct, Storm were a super league team. i have the very last Super League magazine, season wrap up , and its got a section at the back all about next year. Lazarus signing and shit

King hit

Coach
Been there once for a weekend. Never again.

I'm trying to explore as much of Australia as possible and I'm thinking about going to Adelaide for my next trip. Just spent 6 days in Sydney which is my favourite destination. My dad used to go to Adelaide for work and he thought Adelaide was a pretty dull place.

Travitoh

First Grade
I'm trying to explore as much of Australia as possible and I'm thinking about going to Adelaide for my next trip. Just spent 6 days in Sydney which is my favourite destination. My dad used to go to Adelaide for work and he thought Adelaide was a pretty dull place.

Well it's now home to the biggest gentleman's club in the southern hemisphere, so that's something.

siv

First Grade
I keep thinking we will end up with Perth and Adelaide as our two expansion clubs in a few years. Just in time for the next TV deal

kdalymc

Bench
I keep thinking we will end up with Perth and Adelaide as our two expansion clubs in a few years. Just in time for the next TV deal
be silly not to, both these citys are on par population wise with Brisbane...

Mister M

Juniors
It's appropriate that one of the shittiest Rugby League clubs in history represents comfortably the shittiest city in the country.

Nah seriously, Adelaide is a f**king hole. They elected Cory Bernardi multiple times ffs.

If we are going to use the people that a particular area elects as a criteria for having an NRL team, we'd have to remove any team from Queensland instantly because of their preference for voting for Pauline Hanson.

Can Manly go with them? That's close enough to Tony Abbott territory.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If we are going to use the people that a particular area elects as a criteria for having an NRL team, we'd have to remove any team from Queensland instantly because of their preference for voting for Pauline Hanson.

Can Manly go with them? That's close enough to Tony Abbott territory.

Lol okay then, goodbye Souths Logan

Latest posts