What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

saintm

Juniors
The reason people are comparing Dufty to Ponga is because they are both young fullbacks who are in their first full season in first grade and who are both playing great football.
I get it...but for what purpose. I am also a huge Ponga fan and Tedesco and Slater. They are different players all together if there is to be anyone to compare him to it should be Slater... and I am not suggesting he is anywhere near his level but he plays a similar game. Dufty's game play has fitted in well this year with the Dragons. Ponga plays like a 5/8 and gets the ball whenever he likes because they do not have quality international halves like the Dragons do. He would not be able to play that style of play at the Dragons hence why do we even care.

BennyV

Referee
So why is everyone comparing them?
Ponga is a Knight
And
Dufty is a dragon!! Let’s just get behind our own player he is going fantastic!
People are comparing them because they are both young fullbacks (Dufty a couple of years older) having breakout years and this is a footy forum. Seems pretty intuitive.

If Ponga came to the dragons we'd have a completely different playing style that would revolve more around him than our current style does around Dufty. I'm very glad we have Dufty and he is fitting in great for the team, but Ponga is on another level. Dufty may finish his career as one of the top 5 fullbacks over a 10 year period. Ponga may finish his career as one of the best players to play the game.

No need to get so precious about the comparison.

saintm

Juniors
People are comparing them because they are both young fullbacks (Dufty a couple of years older) having breakout years and this is a footy forum. Seems pretty intuitive.

If Ponga came to the dragons we'd have a completely different playing style that would revolve more around him than our current style does around Dufty. I'm very glad we have Dufty and he is fitting in great for the team, but Ponga is on another level. Dufty may finish his career as one of the top 5 fullbacks over a 10 year period. Ponga may finish his career as one of the best players to play the game.

No need to get so precious about the comparison.
And time will tell where the both finish. I feel sorry for Ponga and the hype people are throwing at him. I’m not being precious I just don’t understand why when they are completely different style players. And saying we’d adjust we didn’t for Dugan I like how your the expert on Ponga becoming the greatest and how the dragons would be coached! From what I’ve read on all of these forums no one knows what Mary’s doing but you do that’s a big call!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Dragons Fullbacks
Games Tries
Boyd 69 13
Dufty 23 11
Goodwin 116 52
Graham 114 20
Johnson 149 54
Langlands 227 86
Pidding 104 34
What can we learn from this analysis?

giboz71

First Grade
Dufty would be feeling less pressure.

All the hype around Ponga may not be a great thing. And exposing him to Origin at such a young age could be a problem. He’s already injured.

Prefer Dufty just fly under the radar and continue to win games for the Dragons. Comparisons to Ponga serve no purpose.

The more telling comparison was how he compares to Dugan (thus justifying not paying him what he wanted). Dufty is streets ahead and costs less than half as much. He’s a big reason we are top of the table. Can think of 2 or 3 games he’s won for us.

Plus he’s actually stayed on the field.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Giboz71 Dufty is a gun. Right up there as a try scoring machine. He excites the crowd like Nathan Blacklock Changa, Mark Gasnier, Ted Goodwin, Steve Morris and Ricky Walford. Rugby league is worth watching again as we now watch an entertaining attacking team where every player pulls his weight.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Dufty would be feeling less pressure.

All the hype around Ponga may not be a great thing. And exposing him to Origin at such a young age could be a problem. He’s already injured.

Prefer Dufty just fly under the radar and continue to win games for the Dragons. Comparisons to Ponga serve no purpose.

The more telling comparison was how he compares to Dugan (thus justifying not paying him what he wanted). Dufty is streets ahead and costs less than half as much. He’s a big reason we are top of the table. Can think of 2 or 3 games he’s won for us.

Plus he’s actually stayed on the field.
I haven't yet seen Ponga show the slightest inkling that he is ever under pressure - he is a stand out gun who is a pleasure to watch play, good luck to Newcastle for having the foresight to get him for a long time. Having said that Dufty is also very, very good, I hope Dragon's management have the same foresight to sign him up for life as a Dragon - I would literally cry if he left, particularly if it was the bloody Dogs who got him like they stole Patten from us (and don't think they are not fishing around for 2020)