What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

Exsilium

First Grade
No he's not a step back. He had a far inferior squad to this year's one at Penrith run 4th in 2014, beat the reigning premiers and consecutive minor premiers in week 1 then push all the way close to making the GF. He's made a GF before, at a club that told him he was free to bugger off mid season. He's a massive upgrade on Griffin.

Anyone who rips on him as being not a premiership coach, he never had a chance. He ran into Manly during their dynasty years, although during that time he regularly beat a salary cap cheating Storm side (and in finals too). Look at the pack he took to the 2014 GF qualifier. Who the f**k is Sam Anderson? Matt Robinson, Lewis Brown, Nigel Plum...geezus. He's a top drawer coach who can resurrect crap lists and cultures, get them firing and then consistently gets results. Six seasons with us, made finals 4 times, only times he didn't were a) because our CEO cheated the cap b) Sonny Fai died. I cried for 5-6 years after he left and we named dunce after dunce to replace him, then refused to re-hire him when he indicated he was keen.

I still believe he'll win a premiership sooner rather than later. Dunno how anyone doesn't rate him, unless they're not paying full attention.

I hear ya but I just can’t agree with you that he’s top shelf....yet... but I will agree that he could improve with a better squad, just not ours. Our squad is not a top 4 certainty but I believe we are a top 5-8 team all day. We played very boring football under him and got through on talent, luck and arsey plays. Much the same as what we dish out nowadays.

And for the record we only scrapped past the roosters and got out enthused by the bulldogs.

Lastly, Don’t ever speak I’ll of Nigel Plum. He’s a legend of the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Griffin saying break down was due to Gould coaching interference, no surprise there!
Claims Gus bs about having lost the shed. Sounding very much like he is saying they want someone else and Gus just making sht up to justify his sacking.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I hear ya but I just can’t agree with you that he’s top shelf....yet... but I will agree that he could improve with a better squad, just not ours. Our squad is not a top 4 certainty but I believe we are a top 5-8 team all day. We played very boring football under him and got through on talent, luck and arsey plays. Much the same as what we dish out nowadays.

And for the record we only scrapped past the roosters and got out enthused by the bulldogs.

Lastly, Don’t ever speak I’ll of Nigel Plum. He’s a legend of the game.

Fair enough. I reckon he's top shelf, but I can see how some people aren't there with him. We played boring as bat shit football under him at the Warriors and I can remember people caring about that in 07 and part of 08, until we started to beat the best in arm wrestles and win finals games. As again evidenced this year, he knows how to beat the best sides and does it consistently. Isn't that how you win titles?

I think he could win a premiership at Penrith, as long as Maloney is there.

Sorry on Nigel Plum. I feel the same way about Patrick ah Van.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Griffin says he's been overwhelmed by the communication he's received from the players since being sacked

Xcalibre

Juniors
He reckons they're at the next level already. Gus disagrees... one of the main points of contention I'd say.

I tend to agree with Jabba on that.

Pommy

Coach
I know it probably won’t happen but I really want to see Tigers sign Nathan Cleary that would be an amazing twist in what has become a bit of a soap opera.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Griffin “we don’t get on, that’s the main reason I’m sat here tonight not coaching”. Clearly if you don’t fit with Gus you’re gone regrdless of performance.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Griffin comes across as a level-headed guy. He's said a lot that I'd like to hear from a coach.

Gus comes across as a bit of a lunatic tbh.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Griffin “we don’t get on, that’s the main real I’m sat here tonight not coaching”. Clearly if you don’t fit with Gus you’re gone regrdless of performance.

It's not even that simple. Gus pumps up Ivan's tyres, apparently they're good chums from way back, dumps him 2.5 years later. Signs up Griffin, who is managed by Beavis who is Jabba's best mate apparently. Then re-signs him, soon after dumps him.

He's just unhinged, unbalanced, totally off the level. Don't worry about 5 year plans, Gus' moods don't last more than 5 days by the looks. Yes he knows the game better than most but that doesn't mean shit if you're mentally all over the show.

Showtime

Juniors
I know it probably won’t happen but I really want to see Tigers sign Nathan Cleary that would be an amazing twist in what has become a bit of a soap opera.

And knocked out first week of the finals just to make Gould to look foolish.

Exsilium

First Grade
I don’t think Griffin deserved to be sacked. He did a good job with our team and I’d love to see the board reinstate him and Gus f**k off entirely, Nathan sign with the tigers and we go on to win a premiership.

Make it happen