What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

The only thing that makes sense from a one eyed Panthers POV perhaps. There could be a dozen different things that "make sense" if we were to try and draw conclusions and make assumptions to fit a narrative but we'll never really have enough information to know for sure.
What is known is that Hook cant coach and Gus is a merkin of a human

Pedge1971

First Grade
Now that I've had time to think about the past week since it's finally over we have the following facts:

1. Panthers Board talk to Ivan.

2. Panthers discuss possible move in 2021 but Ivan pushes for 2019. This was leaked by media and later confirmed by Gus. Reasonable chance of being true.

3. Ivan keeps it secret for two weeks.

4. Panthers Sack Griffin and Panthers say we have a "target" for 2019.

5. Tigers get unnecessarily defencive about releasing Ivan although we have no contract offered.

6. Ivan stays silent for a week finally releasing a pre-scripted speech which makes Panthers look worse.

What makes most sense is that Panthers wanted to be able to say to Nathan is that Ivan was sorted for 2021 so we'd get a 5 year deal minimum. Ivan got keen to coach Nathan and pushed for 2019 probably making promises about getting a release. Panthers backed him but the Tigers played hardball and Ivan backflipped to save face when public opinion shifted. Panthers get left lookinglike the villain. If you don't cherry pick the facts this is really the only thing that makes sense.

Gus is very media savvy and got on the front foot first. Doesnt make what he said the truth.

Believe Cleary's version of events over Gus 7 days a week.

Feel a little sorry for Ciraldo. Bloke is on a hiding to nothing.

OldPanther

Coach
Gus is very media savvy and got on the front foot first. Doesnt make what he said the truth.

Believe Cleary's version of events over Gus 7 days a week.

Feel a little sorry for Ciraldo. Bloke is on a hiding to nothing.

It's entirely possible. I'm just very suspicious of the the timing of Ivan keeping things secret from his club to the sacking of Griffin and the Tigers board digging there heals in.

Good on them by the way the members deserve a club with some balls.

OldPanther

Coach
All this is pointless anyway now that we have the chosen one. Ivan was just a destraction.

All hail Ciro of the House Panther, First of His Name, the Undefeated, King of the NRL and the best of Men, Khal of the Great Grass field, Breaker of Records, and higher on the ladder than Dragons.

OldPanther

Coach
In the hours since last night's train wreck I've told plenty of people to f**k off.

You made the list kid.

Hey I tipped you in my work comp and I stayed up past my bedtime to watch them smash the Eels. They let me down :(

OldPanther

Coach
But you are just doing the opposite?

Not at first. My approach was that we don't have all the facts and the ones we do have don't say Panthers acted unethically. We then got a bunch of people from all sides telling their story to suit their agenda. Griffin/Gus/Tigers/the media(the worst and the ones I blame for most of this)

unforgiven

Bench
Not at first. My approach was that we don't have all the facts and the ones we do have don't say Panthers acted unethically. We then got a bunch of people from all sides telling their story to suit their agenda. Griffin/Gus/Tigers/the media(the worst and the ones I blame for most of this)
You only accept the info that diminishes the Panthers wrong in this situation, we get it, its your club, but take the blinkers off for a moment.

OldPanther

Coach
You only accept the info that diminishes the Panthers wrong in this situation, we get it, its your club, but take the blinkers off for a moment.

Nope. There's only 1 bit of info that suggest that they did and there are multiple sources that suggest they weren't trying to poach Cleary but get him long term rather than break his current contract.

If you want to argue sacking Griffin and how Gus has handled it in the media as being wrong I'll agree with that part.

Exsilium

First Grade

Didn’t you say Griffin was lying after he did his NRL360 interview?

At that point we only had agenda driven perspective and to an extent we still do. Wouldn’t that be an assumption on your part?

Moving forward, I haven’t formed my overall opinion on the matter myself as I think everyone’s out for their best interest but I’d be comfortable in suggesting, based on historical events, that Gus has been less than upfront about what’s transpired.

OldPanther

Coach

At that point we only had agenda driven perspective and to an extent we still do. Wouldn’t that be an assumption on your part?

Moving forward, I haven’t formed my overall opinion on the matter myself as I think everyone’s out for their best interest but I’d be comfortable in suggesting, based on historical events, that Gus has been less than upfront about what’s transpired.

I said Griffin lied about the state of the club when he arrived which is true, not everything he said. I think both have said the truth in parts but are undoubtedly trying to spin events.

OldPanther

Coach
For the sake of punting our SuperCoach, yes. Thing is though he isn’t related to a board member, father of a player, ex player or had any role in the club therefore he doesn’t qualify under the ‘jobs for the boys’ criteria.

Bugger. The irony of it is that Griffin would be a great coach for you guys with that forward pack. He'd simplify it and have you running over teams.

mxlegend99

Referee

He did lie. That's a fact.

He might have been honest/put his spin on the truth about some things. Or maybe even most things. But the shit about our juniors was a blatant lie as was his comment about Gus having done nothing prior to him arriving. Yet everyone just accepted those lies because people love to hate Gus.

There's a lot of stuff that has been said where we may never know the full truth. But those claims are not among them.

At the end of the day the club did nothing wrong by sacking an employee that refused to listen to his boss, work with his colleagues and pushed countless staff and players to leave the club. They could have handled it better. Actually Im not sure they could have handled it worse if they tried to be honest.

Funnily enough Gus is the villain here and yet I honestly believe he did everything he could to make the situation work and that this was the last outcome he wanted. Not because he's a nice guy. But because he didnt want to admit employing and extending Hook was a f**k up. Nothing he did in regards to Hook deserves this shit.

The Ivan Cleary situation is not so clear though. Its unbelievable that the club would think they could sign him for 2019 and that if they did it would be anything other than a huge mess. I would like to think they only ever asked him about 2021. But I honestly have no idea.

Their motives are pretty obvious. Which is why I don't see why they care about the when so much as the if he would return. But where there's smoke there's usually fire. So many better ways to handle the situation. They should have just approached Nathan about floating thre idea for 2021 by his dad. Tell him the job is his if he wants it. Put in a clause that Nathan can leave if we don't honor that offer. Everyone's happy. No media circus.

unforgiven

Bench
Nope. There's only 1 bit of info that suggest that they did and there are multiple sources that suggest they weren't trying to poach Cleary but get him long term rather than break his current contract.

If you want to argue sacking Griffin and how Gus has handled it in the media as being wrong I'll agree with that part.
They sacked Griffen because they thought they had Cleary breaking his contract and then lied stating we only ever wanted him for 2021.

OldPanther

Coach
They sacked Griffen because they thought they had Cleary breaking his contract and then lied stating we only ever wanted him for 2021.

Yes and the info we got was that Panthers wanted 2021 and Ivan wanted sooner. I don't blame him if he's seriously that close to Nathan. Must be a hell of a bond.

Latest posts