What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trouble with St. George Illawarra

ouryears

Bench
I do not mean to be rude mate, but you're less useful than the link that I left in the toilet this morning.

You also lack its charm, wit, and inoffensive odour.

f**k off you little merkin.
You have been a main apologiser for the coach and some of our gutless heartless players this year.

You stink of mediocrity in most of your excuse making posts this year.
It’s only now you see the light.

Quit telling others to f**k off who post the truth.
Our jersey is stained with Illawarra mediocrity and posters like you who have made excuses for over 5 years now.

The cows have come home, we are the laughing stock of league.
A rabble, a basket case.

j0nesy

Bench
Forwards are busted. Why are they busted?
1. Rep duties - nothing can be done about that
2. Bench - for much of the season only 3 of 4 players have been used
3. Tired and Injured - they’ve been allowed to play games when they should have been rested
4. Depth - not sure if we have it or not because the young blokes haven’t been given a go

SBD82

Coach
You have been a main apologiser for the coach and some of our gutless heartless players this year.

You stink of mediocrity in most of your excuse making posts this year.
It’s only now you see the light.

Quit telling others to f**k off who post the truth.
Our jersey is stained with Illawarra mediocrity and posters like you who have made excuses for over 5 years now.

The cows have come home, we are the laughing stock of league.
A rabble, a basket case.
The f**k? go f**k yourself Vasilevsky.

SBD82

Coach
See, even now you deflect and blame.
Mrs McGregor.
Gee. You seem to be in a good mood. Weird. I'm in a terrible mood because the team that I support are a steaming pile of shit.

It's almost as though you're enjoying the loss. Almost as though you're not actually a dragons supporter. Weird.

Old Timer

Coach
Apparently Crush and I pissed off The whole pantheon - Zeus, Apollo, Odin, Ganesha all took turns last night. Not sure what religion the ref was but a 6-0 penalty count in the first 19 minutes looked like the devils work to me
So do you really think it would have ended differently but for the penalty count in the 1st 20 minutes?
For some unknown reason you seem to think we actually have something called a game plan and an efficient attacking structure combined with an impenetrable defence.
On top of that you also seeem to think that other teams if not given a leg up by refs can’t beat us.
Face the facts we have nothing left in the tank and almost every other team in the comp is going measurably better than we are and it was always going to be that way.

The Damo

Juniors
So do you really think it would have ended differently but for the penalty count in the 1st 20 minutes?
For some unknown reason you seem to think we actually have something called a game plan and an efficient attacking structure combined with an impenetrable defence.
On top of that you also seeem to think that other teams if not given a leg up by refs can’t beat us.
Face the facts we have nothing left in the tank and almost every other team in the comp is going measurably better than we are and it was always going to be that way.
Yes of course it would have - how different I can’t say.
Do you claim a 6-0 penalty count in the opening 20 minutes has zero influence? So if it had gone the other way we still would’ve lost by 30+? Interesting theory.
Keep attacking straw men OT, you obviously find it easier than engaging with polite disagreement or acknowledging nuance.
I’ve criticised the coaches creativity and game plans plenty of times, and never claimed our defence was exceptional. I’m not as monomaniacal about it as you, but hey misrepresent and exaggerate if it makes you feel better.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Correct. A decade is 10 years. We agree on this.

But... A decade can be any 10 years. This is the crux of the argument.

So if the Dragons first season was 1920, instead of 21, the 10 years would have been reached at 1929. (So, just like that magical decade called the roaring 20’s..)

And the first decade for the joint venture came about in 2008..

Then why is Mel
But a worldwide numerical system isn’t redundant based on the year the dragons entered the comp..

Plus, I have zero dim sims right now

And then you have the Melbourne Storm currently celebrating “20 years” when, in fact, 2018 is its 21st year of participating in the NRL.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Forwards are busted. Why are they busted?
1. Rep duties - nothing can be done about that
2. Bench - for much of the season only 3 of 4 players have been used
3. Tired and Injured - they’ve been allowed to play games when they should have been rested
4. Depth - not sure if we have it or not because the young blokes haven’t been given a go
McGregor strikes me as the type of coach who relies on models and statistics for determining how a player should play and misses any instinct or visual judgement. It is a flawed approach. That crap about "they've played the right amount of minutes and we're monitoring them every minute" irritates me no end.

After his past experience he should realise early wins are important, but not to the detriment of your whole season. Get the young blokes some quality game time throughout the year so your stars aren't burnt out and you have depth during the year and a better idea of who to keep on the roster.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes of course it would have - how different I can’t say.
Do you claim a 6-0 penalty count in the opening 20 minutes has zero influence? So if it had gone the other way we still would’ve lost by 30+? Interesting theory.
Keep attacking straw men OT, you obviously find it easier than engaging with polite disagreement or acknowledging nuance.
I’ve criticised the coaches creativity and game plans plenty of times, and never claimed our defence was exceptional. I’m not as monomaniacal about it as you, but hey misrepresent and exaggerate if it makes you feel better.
Myself and a few others tried to have nice conversations discussing nuances early in the season and TBPH can't do that any longer.
In those discussions we offered sage advice as to being too keen on our chances too early as there was an incredible amount of history that had to be taken into account.
Along with that came some advice re the actual quality of the team and the coaching staff.
Responses ranged form being castigated to push back and the opinion that others new better and it was all going to be different and people like me were barking up the wrong tree and all sorts of statistics etc were posted to discredit what was being said.
So after a while the nuances and politeness goes out of it and then firm statements and hard observations become the norm and sadly some of our fans and obviously our coaching staff are incapable of understanding the relevancy of it.
Now of course the old "straw man" argument comes out as well as it would have been different if the penalty count was different bla bla bla.
Our team for several months have run out with for the want of a term "dead eyes" with no sign of being revved up or desire and the results have emulated that.
Not withstanding the fact we should have been awarded a few penalties early on last night it is obvious our team don't give a f**k about being disciplined or understanding the ref has got us in his radar.
That attitude is what results in us giving away easy penalties, earning the ire of the ref and getting lapped on the score board but still people want to offer excuses for the result.
IMO we could have been given 5 penalties before they got 1 and even with that we most likely wouldn't have scored and the Eels would have grown strength and power as a result and then run over the top of us.
We had nothing when we ran out onto the field and we offered less than nothing in the face of the opposition onslaught.
I am not Nostradamus but have a pretty fair idea of reality and what results you will most likely get from the evidence in front of you and despite the obvious good results early on I firmly believed we would end up here because the body of evidence in front of me led me to that conclusion. i.e. the coach is shit, we peek early, the roster isn't as good as people make out, the signings people rave about were just above average and the coach has turned them into shit.
I try to be sincere in most of my posts and just call it for what it is and am not interested in trying to offer excuses for what is obviously piss poor performance by many aspects of the club including management, coaching, staff and players.
By the way the size of the loss last night is irrelevant, in real terms we lost and that is what is totally unacceptable and the size of the loss is only relevant to the embarrassment we feel.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I’ve been sceptical of the ladder position all year. If you look at all the wins it was against teams still finding their feet. Now when they play teams in form they get smashed. So I think they are lucky to be where they currently are on the ladder.
The backline is pedestrian and the forwards only dominated against the sides that as I said were still finding their feet.
Where to from here??
I can’t see any short term fix other than maybe Bennett and his broomstick!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And the 1900s were also the 20th Century.

Sometimes I wonder why people can't work this out. Is it because you had a big party at midnight in 1999, thinking you were celebrating the start of the 21st Century, only to discover later that you shot your load one year too soon?