What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 coach

He still did though. In 2014 we saw the debut of
DWZ, Cartwright, Yeo, Moseley and will Smith.

Aswell as club debuts for Soward, Taylor, kev Naiqama, BMM and Kite.

2015 through injury we saw the likes of Blake, Gennings, Rennings, Latu, Katoa and Chris Smith. As well as club debuts for Sopoaga and Korisau.

Of the 11 players to debut in those 2 years. 9 have played NRL this year and are mostly regulars.
What ever happened to Moseley?

Went to the titans cause we had Segeyaro and the manly hooker whose name I am blanking right now.

Moseley did his acl the first year there and got injured again after that and fell away. He was talented though.
That's a shame, he was great. Thanks.

mxlegend99

Referee
You'd say Hook took more risks on younger players. Ivan himself said he wouldn't have picked Nathan Cleary in 2016.

But it's pretty clear that both coaches had different circumstances. We were a total mess when Ivan arrived and our success in 2014 was mainly off the back of imports.

If he stayed on for 2016 who knows what would have happened.
Ofcourse he wouldn't. He couldnt pick his oen kid at 18 without looking biased.

MrBlack

Juniors
Gus re-signed Whare for what we perceive is a modest contract. Wasn't a popular signing at the time and most were calling for him to be moved on.

With that wonderful hindsight we can see that was a great call. He is at career best form with a few more good years to come.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gus re-signed Whare for what we perceive is a modest contract. Wasn't a popular signing at the time and most were calling for him to be moved on.

With that wonderful hindsight we can see that was a great call. He is at career best form with a few more good years to come.
He's nowhere near career best form.

He's playing solid lately. But he was the best centre in the game in 2014.

MrBlack

Juniors
He's nowhere near career best form.

He's playing solid lately. But he was the best centre in the game in 2014.

Maybe not "career best" but definitely one of our form players this year. He is showing more in attack than he has in years.

franklin2323

Immortal
Isaah Yeo debuted at 18 in round 1 2014, in the centres. There were more experienced options available. It’s a myth.

He debuted round 1 due to injury. Later that year Lewis Brown took his place enough said.

The issue I had with Ivan he had tunnel vision when it comes to players outside the top 17. They love him and play well for him. The issue is the lack of a plan B, C etc when injuries and form slumps come on.

I guess we see if that changes next time around

He debuted round 1 due to injury. Later that year Lewis Brown took his place enough said.

The issue I had with Ivan he had tunnel vision when it comes to players outside the top 17. They love him and play well for him. The issue is the lack of a plan B, C etc when injuries and form slumps come on.

I guess we see if that changes next time around
At least he has a plan A

franklin2323

Immortal
You could be worse Manly is even further behind. Worse run club in the NRL at the moment

Parra are still worse but yeah we have some way to come still. Personally I think we should of groomed someone like Tim Browne or Wallace to be in Fletcher's role. To get some sort of succession plan

martielang

Bench
Outside of Blake, who didnt play just aswell under Ivan? Everyone under Ivan had good development. Including Blake. Players consistently improved under him.

Moylan 2014 was as good as ever
DWZ 2014 was a beast
Carty 2014 looked insane
Mansour was better under Ivan before doing an ACL
RCG had a terrific debut season

Outside of those guys Ivan got the last good footy we saw from Jamie Soward, Jsmes Segeyaro, Jamal Idris etc. Dean Whare was the best centre in the game under Ivan.

It's a myth that Ivan never gave players a chance. It's bullshit that the players werent for the most part good when he did.

Gus brought in journeymen to cut down on unnecessary debuts while the club was being rebuilt to assist in our younger players development and not have guys trying to develop in a losing NRL side like Knights have done. Those guys were top 25 players and our team had to be selected with that and the second tier salary cap in mind.

Mate stop being a bitter ex. You go what you wanted, Hook was punted. Give the bloke credit for the good things he did for this club & move on with life.

martielang

Bench
I think it's also hard to compare as the club was in different stages of development.

But he was involved in that development yeh?

I'm not saying the bloke was a mastercoach but look at our squad now. Full of juniors who have been blooded into first grade & are locked up long term going into the prime of their careers. This is what we all wanted when he arrived here.

OldPanther

Coach
But he was involved in that development yeh?

I'm not saying the bloke was a mastercoach but look at our squad now. Full of juniors who have been blooded into first grade & are locked up long term going into the prime of their careers. This is what we all wanted when he arrived here.

It wasn't an argument against either. I was actually supporting you with that statement.

Latest posts