What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione

Yosh

Coach
He is 22... Let's see what everyone thinks of the lad after a full season of playing second row.

Swarzey

Bench
I'd move him to the bench, lower his minutes and let him concentrate on building himself back into the second row position. Poor kid has been pushed around the field more than any other player in the competition; hasn't had a single season in one role and through no fault of his own

Fangs

Coach
Time to get over those 3 tests he was gifted back in 2014.

Has always looked a very good player, agree with more well informed posters in this thread that he has been moved around too often. Would like to see him on the bench for Newcastle.

Yosh

Coach
Round 24 v Sharks he was clowned by Luke Capewell of all people.

23 with 100 first grade games in two months.

Exactly. We have a player who has so much experience in the top grade and he has experience in many different positions. Invaluable. Hoping he is given time and the chance to show just how good he is.

Not saying he has been good or great but let's get off his back for at least half way through the season.

Swarzey

Bench
Defense isn't an equal field across the line. Centers have increasingly more pressure on them to correctly read the defense in order to not leave their winger isolated or move too far out and stretch the 2RF or the half. I might be wrong with this; Sione has spent more time at center in his career than anywhere else - second row, fullback or wing - but never managed to string together a relative handful of games in the position.

Maybe if he can have a season where he doesn't play center one week, second row for a month, oh but then gets moved back to center for 5 weeks, we might be able to judge him better on his talent.

Spot On

Coach
Just goes to show how good a player Mitchell Aubbusson has been (still going well) for a long time. Can handle defending wherever he is put with ease - and he has been moved all over the shop.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Defense isn't an equal field across the line. Centers have increasingly more pressure on them to correctly read the defense in order to not leave their winger isolated or move too far out and stretch the 2RF or the half. I might be wrong with this; Sione has spent more time at center in his career than anywhere else - second row, fullback or wing - but never managed to string together a relative handful of games in the position.

Maybe if he can have a season where he doesn't play center one week, second row for a month, oh but then gets moved back to center for 5 weeks, we might be able to judge him better on his talent.

Absolute rubbish.
He has had plenty of chances to cement his spot in the centres.
We were crying out for centres.
His attack was average and defense was woeful.
That’s why he was shifted to the backrow.
Brown will do whatever it takes to keep Sione in our starting 13.
I still can’t get over last year when Brown was defending Watson in the centres for Sione.
I would be packing my bags too if I was Herman and Aidan.
How the heck is Sione starting over these two?!!
What kinda message is Brown sending to the rest of the squad by continually picking Sione?!?
He dropped Herman for a couple poor efforts but rewards Sione a starting spot every week?!?!

Knight Vision

First Grade
Just goes to show how good a player Mitchell Aubbusson has been (still going well) for a long time. Can handle defending wherever he is put with ease - and he has been moved all over the shop.
Aubusson 31 yrs old - 12 yrs NRL experience - 3 games in 2019 average 39 run mtrs and 78 tackles total ( tackle efficiency 91% )
Sione 22 yrs old - 4 yrs NRL experience - 3 games in 2019 average 62 run mtrs and 117 tackles total ( tackle efficiency 81% )

Seriously those that like to bag Sione should just have another hit on the crack pipe.

I'll go with Brown, Bennett, Fittler, Sterling, Johns etc etc critique of Sione's skill set over armchair warriors who only embarrass themselves by showing how little they know about the game.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Sione 22 yrs old - 4 yrs NRL experience - 3 games in 2019 average 62 run mtrs and 117 tackles total ( tackle efficiency 81% )

For an 80min player playing on the edge those numbers are atrocious.
Does nothing with the ball with rubbish defense.

Yosh

Coach
For an 80min player playing on the edge those numbers are atrocious.
Does nothing with the ball with rubbish defense.

How does he compare to someone you think is good then? Who would you prefer?

Knight Vision

First Grade
You forgot to add the Premiership tally into the stats KV.
that's even more to the point, Aubusson is/has been playing in a strong side on the front foot in most games most of the time. His stats come from playing in a Premiership winning outfit.

1. tackle count second rower = Matt Gillett 122 tackles 85% efficiency. 55 run mtrs
2 tackle count second rower = Sione Mata'utia 117 tackles 81% efficiency . 62 run mtrs

It's easy to be disappointed about losing and look for someone to blame.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
Are the stats you keep posting meant to be supporting Sione KV???
given his age, experience and 3 games into again changing playing position I think they go someway to supporting an argument that he isnt going as bad as some think he is.

Latest posts