What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione

Woosh

Head Moderator
that's even more to the point, Aubusson is/has been playing in a strong side on the front foot in most games most of the time. His stats come from playing in a Premiership winning outfit.

1. tackle count second rower = Matt Gillett 122 tackles 85% efficiency. 55 run mtrs
2 tackle count second rower = Sione Mata'utia 117 tackles 81% efficiency . 62 run mtrs

It's easy to be disappointed about losing and look for someone to blame.

You do realise Gillett has been playing in the middle since coming back from his neck injury?

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has ended his positional experiment with Matt Gillett with the Origin star to return to his beloved back-row role for Thursday night’s clash against the Roosters.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/720fd536e226c2c685d2236f8dbfdb54

How about we compare Sione to a 19 year old like Fifta Jnr.

Sione (3 Games, 240 mins)
Tackles - 117
Efficiency - 81%
Run Mtrs Avg - 62m

Fifta Jnr (3 Games, 171 Mins)
Tackles - 85
Efficiency - 92.8%
Run Mtrs - 99.7m

It doesn’t look pretty.
Fifta has played 70 less minutes yet kills Sione in every stat.
Sione is also 4 years older and played 80 more NRL games.

What excuses do we have for Sione now?

Spot On

Coach
given his age, experience and 3 games into again changing playing position I think they go someway to supporting an argument that he isnt going as bad as some think he is.

As long as you can accept that there are stats suggesting otherwise, particularly his defensive issues.

There are some that don't like looking at the other side of it.

Probably little doubt he is being targetted and justifiably so. Last week's performance will be highlighted by McGregor and he'll cop a working over again this week.

If he was still a rookie being moved around/ changing positions, you could mount a pretty good defense for his shortcomings. I think that time (due to the no. of yrs in first grade and no. of games) is close to passing if it hasn't already.

If anything might help his game, it might be less minutes??? Whether that is a good option for our squad I'm not sure.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Probably little doubt he is being targetted and justifiably so. Last week's performance will be highlighted by McGregor and he'll cop a working over again this week.
most teams preferred attack goes down the side Sione happens to defend on .Same as Gillet and Abusson in sample stats. Amazing how similar those stats are isnt it. ....or maybe the opposition is targeting them because they're not very good defenders? ummm ....

Should the Broncos drop Gillet for the missed tackle on Simms that led to a try on the weekend?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/22/dominant-sione-matautias-underrated-defensive-achievements/

yep no doubt teams are targeting the guy who came 3rd in NRL for dominant tackles in 2018 and who's tackle efficiency was among the best for centres and who formed part of our best defensive side last year.

He had a poor defence read on the weekend, he also had a try assist.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Righto mate,

I'll go back to the crack pipe.

Fittler chose him in the emerging blues last year.....what the hell would he know about RL talent.

Perhaps offer ur services to the Blues or Knights ? With such a grasp of the intricacies and subtle nuances of the game, inside information of players carrying injuries affecting certain plays and characters within a playing group and their interactions all from an armchair on a weekend it may well be worth a shot I say, never know it could be ur calling.

If the coaches who have made the game not just a weekend past time but a way of life, studying the game, analyzing it, and have given most of their adult life to the game are all wrong about Sione and you think your right then hell yeh give it a shot....I would.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Sione was such a great defensive centre last year.. so much so Brown had to hide Sione in the defensive line so the much smaller Watson could make his tackles lol
What planet is Knight Blind Vision on?!

Spot On

Coach
Oh FFS KV,

Brock f**king Lamb was chosen it that squad of thousands.

Lololololol.

There'd be ten blokes on that list that will struggle to play regular first grade.

22 missed tackles in 3 rounds, nearly double that of the next worst defender in the comp.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Sione was such a great defensive centre last year.. so much so Brown had to hide Sione in the defensive line so the much smaller Watson could make his tackles lol
What planet is Knight Blind Vision on?!

He's on the crack pipe too???

Some will find another reason that change had to be made.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Oh FFS you flog...

Ummm well.....I think it's quite self evident who the flog is. .....cheers for the confirmation :D

And as for Brock Lamb....he was playing very well at one stage for a young half, just in first grade, in a team getting flogged every week. He sure did look like he had great potential. As a Newy boy and Knights supporter I'll be wishing him great success and cheering him on for the rest of his career. Guess I'll leave the snipping from the sidelines to you.

Spot On

Coach
Quite clearly you're not onto anything... but you seem to be 'on something' ...

You a fan of Josh King KV?

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
It's a shame our recruitment and retention personnel didn't target some of the players on that emerging Blues squad list KV, we could have brought them up here for our NSW Cup side. There still about 15 players on that list that would be very, very cheap - nearly free!

Would strengthen our depth.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Fittler chose him in the emerging blues last year.....what the hell would he know about RL talent.

Perhaps offer ur services to the Blues or Knights ? With such a grasp of the intricacies and subtle nuances of the game, inside information of players carrying injuries affecting certain plays and characters within a playing group and their interactions all from an armchair on a weekend it may well be worth a shot I say, never know it could be ur calling.

If the coaches who have made the game not just a weekend past time but a way of life, studying the game, analyzing it, and have given most of their adult life to the game are all wrong about Sione and you think your right then hell yeh give it a shot....I would.

Ha, I love this stuff .. offer your services to the Blues or Knights.

NSW has just finished close to a decade with winning nothing in a two horse race (one of the worst sporting representative organisations anywhere) and Newcastle have the lowest winning percentage of any NRL team for the last 10 yrs - 38%.

Yet you defend all involved, those who talk up certain NSW players and then bag others who have their own opinion on what are clearly disfunctional organisations over a long period of time.

NSW and Newcastle have challenged the law of averages for an extaordinary length of time.

Clearly the admin, selectors, coaches and players have been incredibly below par for an eternity.

Seriously KV, take the Knight Vision goggles off mate, they are broken.

What we saw last week was another 'typical' Newcastle performance - well below par. It has to be turned around this week.

Supporters deserve better and have every right to be involved in the conversation.

You are using that right but need to accept that othes are equal to your standing mate.

Tune out if it upsets you.

Last edited:

Woosh

Head Moderator
I was at the game so couldn’t see Ivan Cleary but was it Sione that let Norman stroll though just before half time?

Spot On

Coach
You need to get a hobby. Or laid

Intetesting you single me out for the immature comment Fred. KV going at it too but totally immune from your dribble.

You must be part of the herd mate. Swarzey too.

C'mon fellas, man up a bit. You'd think you'd be all grown up now - you don't have to 'follow the leader' anymore.

Last edited:

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Anyone else really enjoying his contribution coming on and playing lock?

I think it’s the best position he’s ever played in first grade