What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers V South Sydney (otherwise known as the wabbits)

Girds89

Bench
Interesting that last night nrl stats had critta with 193 metres and now they have him with 206m, obviously they have reviewed the game and updated it, good to know they are being accurate.
They always review the games and update the stats.

Its been happening for years.

Very impressive meters by critta tho.

I said yhe other week after tago made 188m i couldnt remember the last time a centre did that for us... well critta cracked the 200 last night so got to be happy with that part of his game.

Iamback

Coach
The better sides all attack more and score more tries on their LHS. Which is why Ivan went for the best defensive combo of Momo and Crichton on the RHS for the finals and GF last year.

If Crichton and Staines keep defending we’ll as a combo between now and when To’o returns, I just can’t see Ivan dropping Staines once To’o is ready to return, regardless of how many tries May has scored by then.

To'o wasn't terrible when he was on the right though.

Cleary, Martin and Crichton inside it shouldn't matter who is the winger

Especially if the numbers stack up defensively which they both do so far

Iamback

Coach
Even as Staines biggest defender I can see him being dropped pretty easily with the wings being so stacked.

I know his effort is improving and he isn't playing bad but I like a back 3 that are all dangerous on kick returns. It gets a great start to the sets and in big games is a huge help to the pack

Girds89

Bench
Is May a option for 14? How good was he at hooker?

Imagine a May on the bench who actually has talent......what a time to be alive

Hes 20... and 1cm shorter and 3kgs lighter than cameron murray....

They way the games going i would think someone like him on the bench who could (POTENTIALLY....in the future) cover 14, lock, and the backs.. is a exactly what we need..

If he put on 3 more kgs hed be strong enough, with good speed. He can obviuosly pass given he used to play hooker..

Not saying its whats best or what we should do... but i like exploring that option...

The whole playing a back up hooker and a back up mr fix it who both are slow as hell just doesnt do it for me.

Girds89

Bench
I know his effort is improving and he isn't playing bad but I like a back 3 that are all dangerous on kick returns. It gets a great start to the sets and in big games is a huge help to the pack

Im just happy to see charlie playing so well..

I was pretty vocal last year that he just wasnt ready for fg and needed an off season.

The difference between this year and last is honestly not even comparable..

I try to be pretty realistic and honest with my posts.. i knew hed improve but not by as much as he has.. he has come on in leaps and bounds..

In the pre season i said i was happy for him to get first crack but i thought taylan would be right there and wouldnt look out of place which he isnt..

But no two players develop at the same rate.. gus used to talk about it alot how different players developed at different rates, late blomers etc..

Not saying charlies a late blomer hes still so young..

Personally i think taylan will be irresitable to leave out. What hes shown in 3 games is quite remarkable..

But the amount charlie has improved in one big off season shows that he possible is just a tad slower at developing.. to me he looks a bit like a bit like dylan edwards and is very much a confidence player.. last year hes confidence was shot and he had to be dropped the 17m against the chooks was embarrasing...

But this year hes confidence is obviously up and its showing.

Really happy for him and i hope he continues..

Iamback

Coach
Hes 20... and 1cm shorter and 3kgs lighter than cameron murray....

They way the games going i would think someone like him on the bench who could (POTENTIALLY....in the future) cover 14, lock, and the backs.. is a exactly what we need..

If he put on 3 more kgs hed be strong enough, with good speed. He can obviuosly pass given he used to play hooker..

Not saying its whats best or what we should do... but i like exploring that option...

The whole playing a back up hooker and a back up mr fix it who both are slow as hell just doesnt do it for me.

Remember Adrian Purtell?

You don't do it in FG though. That is a NSW Cup experiment.

Tago and him moving in 1 next year with Kiks going is a good option too

Iamback

Coach
Im just happy to see charlie playing so well..

I was pretty vocal last year that he just wasnt ready for fg and needed an off season.

The difference between this year and last is honestly not even comparable..

I try to be pretty realistic and honest with my posts.. i knew hed improve but not by as much as he has.. he has come on in leaps and bounds..

In the pre season i said i was happy for him to get first crack but i thought taylan would be right there and wouldnt look out of place which he isnt..

But no two players develop at the same rate.. gus used to talk about it alot how different players developed at different rates, late blomers etc..

Not saying charlies a late blomer hes still so young..

Personally i think taylan will be irresitable to leave out. What hes shown in 3 games is quite remarkable..

But the amount charlie has improved in one big off season shows that he possible is just a tad slower at developing.. to me he looks a bit like a bit like dylan edwards and is very much a confidence player.. last year hes confidence was shot and he had to be dropped the 17m against the chooks was embarrasing...

But this year hes confidence is obviously up and its showing.

Really happy for him and i hope he continues..

That is it.
The team needs competition to continue to grow it is just a shame we develop guys in the same position.

WestyLife

First Grade

The comments on combinations have swayed me the most today and I like the idea of May at 14 if he is truly capable of covering more positions. He's certainly more dangerous than Tyrone was.

Iamback

Coach
The comments on combinations have swayed me the most today and I like the idea of May at 14 if he is truly capable of covering more positions. He's certainly more dangerous than Tyrone was.

We don't really use our 14 though. In big games anyway

Girds89

Bench
Remember Adrian Purtell?

You don't do it in FG though. That is a NSW Cup experiment.

Tago and him moving in 1 next year with Kiks going is a good option too
I think tago is 4 or 5 years away from moving in tbh..

Depending on how mav geyer comes on he may be the next rookie to really come shining through on that edge.

But i think picking up a good solid reliable bloke for a 2yr contract from next year is the go..

Tariq sims on a 2yr deal for 350 to 400k is probably a really good investment for the young guys and hes still a proven performer. Hell go to the storm but someone of that calibre for two years till the rookies are ready is whats needed.

Iamback

Coach
I think tago is 4 or 5 years away from moving in tbh..

Depending on how mav geyer comes on he may be the next rookie to really come shining through on that edge.

But i think picking up a good solid reliable bloke for a 2yr contract from next year is the go..

Tariq sims on a 2yr deal for 350 to 400k is probably a really good investment for the young guys and hes still a proven performer. Hell go to the storm but someone of that calibre for two years till the rookies are ready is whats needed.

Mav was very ordinary on the weekend. As to be expected

We certainly need a solid regular FG player but I wouldn't go locking in anyone for anything over 2 years

chrisD

Coach
Staines has it over May when To'o gets back. He has the combo with Chrichton on that side, May does not. May's defence lets him down too. With more experience the defence should improve though.
The Crichton Staines combo is below par, not something special.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
All Biased aside, depends on who loves the club the most? Is May's Comments when his brother got removed heavy on his decision to stay at the club? I do prefer May. I remember To'o when he began his NRL career he wasnt all that good. But his 2nd season he improved greatly.