What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Tigers GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium 18/4/22

emjaycee

Coach
Has anyone on here actually claimed we are a well coached side (not that there is anything wrong with playing with yourself... is there)?? ;)

hindy111

Post Whore
Has anyone on here actually claimed we are a well coached side (not that there is anything wrong with playing with yourself... is there)?? ;)

Our recruiting has been poor.
Maybe I sound harsh but Gutherson who does go alright had to be let go or given 2yrs Max.. I would of thrown 800k plus a little more towards Manu or run with Russel a rookie and spent money elsewhere.... He is going to be a huge problem in a year or two as he slows down even more.I look at Tedesco and can see signs of him slowing. Best fullback in game all of a sudden just look solid. Someone as slow as Guth slows anymore and they are in NSW cup.

RCG and JNR who have 4 more years after this one and both will play there last two seasons at 31 and 32. Props can get old very fast. Especialy guys who are bashing 60mins each week in the NRL since age 19. Klemmer is a great current example. Leaves us very vulnerable. Hopefully they don't fade cause if they do we will have 3 players on huge dollars who might be barely nrl level. Would mean bottom 4 untill their contracts expire.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Anyone who thinks we are a well coached side are playing with themselves, outside of chasing the collisions and effort areas we have nothing. We had enough ball to win 3 games against the Tigers no less. We couldn’t even break down the worst team in the league.
We mustn’t have very good players then.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i just don’t think we have enough information to know whether the team is overachieving or underachieving. I think we have a solid but not great squad. What does that say about the coach? The answer is we don’t know. We do know players tend to improve when they come to the club. Maybe we have good training facilities or maybe the leadership group sets a high standard for hard work. Who knows.

lucablight

First Grade
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

You implied it was purely to do with coaching. I’m suggesting coaching AND player recruitment are both factors.
We see glimpses of what the team is capable of defensively but they can’t seem to do it consistently. So to me that seems to imply that they are capable of performing to a high standard but the tools available aren’t being utilised to their fullest. Are you going to suggest that Finucane and Hynes contributed more to changing the Sharks into a good defensive side and not the change in coaching staff?
It’s not just that. There was an opportunity to ice the game against Melbourne with a field goal but Mahoney went the other way. You would think after that incident that the coaching staff would ensure that if that scenario ever happened again that we would be more than prepared. Parramatta has one of the most stable spines in the competition yet they still managed to stuff it up against the winless Wests Tigers of all teams. Are you seriously going to suggest that this isn’t an oversight by the coaching staff? To me that bumbling display seems to suggest that the players weren’t adequately prepared for that scenario.

lucablight

First Grade
i just don’t think we have enough information to know whether the team is overachieving or underachieving. I think we have a solid but not great squad. What does that say about the coach? The answer is we don’t know. We do know players tend to improve when they come to the club. Maybe we have good training facilities or maybe the leadership group sets a high standard for hard work. Who knows.
You can’t have your cake and eat it too. We either have a solid squad which means we should be able to improve it by buying better players or we have a good squad that is forced to shed players because of the quality of the roster. No team that is losing the likes of Niukore, Mahoney and Papali’i should be struggling to get past week 2 of the finals.

it was just a massive step backwards

in the first few rounds i saw signs of cohesion and patience that gave me hope our chicken little "the sky is falling" act whenever things got tight was behind us but unfortunately he was in full flight again this week

eel01s

Bench
That setup for the field goal was hopeless. We were in a great position after tackle 2 before progressively getting worse.

How do we manage the 5th tackle settler to get into position but can't get players in the right spot for a match winner?

That screams poor coaching to me.

lucablight

First Grade
That setup for the field goal was hopeless. We were in a great position after tackle 2 before progressively getting worse.

How do we manage the 5th tackle settler to get into position but can't get players in the right spot for a match winner?

That screams poor coaching to me.
Cooper Cronk talked about how the Melbourne Storm always simulated that scenario during training to make sure it was second nature to them if it ever came up during a game scenario. It doesn’t seem like our players had done that. The spine players have played together for 3 seasons now (coming into their 4th). There was no excuse for such a poor setup especially since they knew they had stuffed it up against Melbourne literally a few weeks before.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cooper Cronk talked about how the Melbourne Storm always simulated that scenario during training to make sure it was second nature to them if it ever came up during a game scenario. It doesn’t seem like our players had done that. The spine players have played together for 3 seasons now (coming into their 4th). There was no excuse for such a poor setup especially since they knew they had stuffed it up against Melbourne literally a few weeks before.
It just screams poor coaching and poor attention to detail, something that has been here in all Bea's time at the club. I suppose when you chase the collision you can't expect too much else i suppose........

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We see glimpses of what the team is capable of defensively but they can’t seem to do it consistently. So to me that seems to imply that they are capable of performing to a high standard but the tools available aren’t being utilised to their fullest. Are you going to suggest that Finucane and Hynes contributed more to changing the Sharks into a good defensive side and not the change in coaching staff?
It’s not just that. There was an opportunity to ice the game against Melbourne with a field goal but Mahoney went the other way. You would think after that incident that the coaching staff would ensure that if that scenario ever happened again that we would be more than prepared. Parramatta has one of the most stable spines in the competition yet they still managed to stuff it up against the winless Wests Tigers of all teams. Are you seriously going to suggest that this isn’t an oversight by the coaching staff? To me that bumbling display seems to suggest that the players weren’t adequately prepared for that scenario.
I honestly dont understand how you could misrepresent what I am saying three times. Particularly when I have been very clear.

I said both coaching and change in roster is a factor when it comes to the Sharks.

I didnt say one was more important the other. I just suggeted that you were not telling the whole story when you tried to claim that the change was down to coaching alone.

...and while we are at it, dont put words in my mouth when it comes to the Eels either. If we aren't performing then clearly that is on the coach as well as the players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You can’t have your cake and eat it too. We either have a solid squad which means we should be able to improve it by buying better players or we have a good squad that is forced to shed players because of the quality of the roster. No team that is losing the likes of Niukore, Mahoney and Papali’i should be struggling to get past week 2 of the finals.
Well by solid I mean our squad is above average. Most teams are less than solid. But the guys we’re losing are all going to be on overs next year, IMO. The evidence is the quality of teams they’re going to. And maybe because of not having a few players on unders, like we do this year, next year’s squad will only be average. But maybe next year Dylan Brown (for example) will be truly elite while costing us only $600k or $700k. Or some nuffy (e.g. Russell or Greig) will go to another level and we will again have an above average squad. Losing a couple of players doesn’t mean we’re elite. It’s not as though we’re losing players of the calibre of the blokes Melbourne and Penrith are losing.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It just screams poor coaching and poor attention to detail, something that has been here in all Bea's time at the club. I suppose when you chase the collision you can't expect too much else i suppose........
As if you could ever coach and plan for all the perms and comms that eventuate in that scenario.

Maybe we don't have the same attention to detail as the Storm, but the field goal f**k up cant be solely aimed at the coach. The players take responsibility as well.

Have the Storm never missed a field goal? When they did, who's at fault - Bellamy or the players?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Doing shit at training with Smith, Slater and Cronk isn’t going to give the same results as doing it with Mahoney, Gutherson and Moses. You do realise every team does this stuff. The difference is execution on game day. Or else why spend all that money on players?

Latest posts