What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Colk

First Grade
Really liking the Milwaukee Bucks-ish color scheme - it'd be unique to the NRL, and not limiting their appeal to the rest of NZ (which could happen if they just took the red & black of Canterbury province)

Not sure about them keeping the Bulls name from the Canterbury RL provincial team, though - maybe Kea (the alpine parrot) as a neutral brand?

For two countries who have an abundance of indigenous birds, we really don't have many bird mascots/logos in the competition.

May need a tweak in colors to brown/orange & green or teal though. :/

I like the name Keas. That would be unique to NRL

MugaB

Coach
I like the name Keas. That would be unique to NRL
Thats a no from me, i like birds don't get me wrong... and this one is pretty colourful which is great... but if we adding new mascots to the game, we should be staying away from both birds and humans.... which are both fķn boring.... we had the magpies, seagulls, giants, steelers, mariners and we still have sea eagles, roosters, knights, titans, cowboys & raiders, need more animal type mascots, i dont mind the dolphins, bears are always lurking, as a strong brand... if im thinking nz2 the bulls are a great strong mascot, orcas works too, ocean related, maybe reptiles, something that isnt boring.
But fmd no more birds or boring humaniod type mascots

The Great Dane

First Grade
Thats a no from me, i like birds don't get me wrong... and this one is pretty colourful which is great... but if we adding new mascots to the game, we should be staying away from both birds and humans.... which are both fķn boring.... we had the magpies, seagulls, giants, steelers, mariners and we still have sea eagles, roosters, knights, titans, cowboys & raiders, need more animal type mascots, i dont mind the dolphins, bears are always lurking, as a strong brand... if im thinking nz2 the bulls are a great strong mascot, orcas works too, ocean related, maybe reptiles, something that isnt boring.
But fmd no more birds or boring humaniod type mascots
How could you possibly find a bird that drinks blood more boring than a cow?!

Honestly, some people are astonishing.

MugaB

Coach

Explain to me about a firehawk again, im not having dig here, but seriously, we are living in a world where first glance is profitable, you see a bird or a bull, you'd gravitate to a bull first, without caring what kind of bird it is or what it can do, a bull is simple, runs straight has horns, represents strength... dont care if a bird drinks petrol, blood, milk whatever... mascots are like super heroes they are emblems to aspire to, most birds are pulling scraps out of a garbage bin

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Explain to me about a firehawk again
A group of raptors that carry burning foliage in their beaks to spread bushfires as a hunting technique. The behaviour has also only been observed in Australia despite the fact that most of the species that do it are found overseas.

They’re also significantly more interesting than cows.

MugaB

Coach
A group of raptors that carry burning foliage in their beaks to spread bushfires as a hunting technique. The behaviour has also only been observed in Australia despite the fact that most of the species that do it are found overseas.

They’re also significantly more interesting than cows.
Yep, this is the outliner in not only our age difference, but also what we care about...
I own a bird, as a pet, if owned a firehawk/raptor/pyromaniac, that would be just as interesting as my cockateil at dinner parties.... a bull is a cow yes, i dont disagree, but its an image of strength to many cultures... im pretty sure any NZ franchise given the choice between only a hawk and a bull... the bull wins...everytime

Im not picking on your judgement here, just outlining that the dophins probably got the 17th licence purely coz they weren't some special bird that needs an explanation about or a jet/bali bomber

Being the smartest person in the room, doesn't mean you have read the room, just means you know your own shit... read the room,... NRL is V'Landys ball now, no one voted him in, he didn't need to be voted in, just got crowned purely in his reach to be able to read every room he walked into...
Thru so many years of ARLC or whoever was in charge of the game, nothing got done about expansion, finally we got someone who can hand out licences like lollies... he ain't going to be adding teams with boring mascots, we got sharks, panthers, tigers, broncos, bulldogs, dragons, wont be long before the bears are back in some form, all they care about is strong brands they can sell to the public... no more birds!!!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be nice to see the reds back, red kangaroo is a great logo option. But I dont mInd pirates, kids love them and seems capt jack sparrow is back in favour again after his trial lol.
a Bear is a bit meh for me but I guess it might grow on me.

MugaB

Coach
Be nice to see the reds back, red kangaroo is a great logo option. But I dont mInd pirates, kids love them and seems capt jack sparrow is back in favour again after his trial lol.
The reds were an awsome emblem, cant get any more Australian than that

20210717_040842.png

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep, this is the outliner in not only our age difference, but also what we care about...
I own a bird, as a pet, if owned a firehawk/raptor/pyromaniac, that would be just as interesting as my cockateil at dinner parties.... a bull is a cow yes, i dont disagree, but its an image of strength to many cultures... im pretty sure any NZ franchise given the choice between only a hawk and a bull... the bull wins...everytime

Im not picking on your judgement here, just outlining that the dophins probably got the 17th licence purely coz they weren't some special bird that needs an explanation about or a jet/bali bomber

Being the smartest person in the room, doesn't mean you have read the room, just means you know your own shit... read the room,... NRL is V'Landys ball now, no one voted him in, he didn't need to be voted in, just got crowned purely in his reach to be able to read every room he walked into...
Thru so many years of ARLC or whoever was in charge of the game, nothing got done about expansion, finally we got someone who can hand out licences like lollies... he ain't going to be adding teams with boring mascots, we got sharks, panthers, tigers, broncos, bulldogs, dragons, wont be long before the bears are back in some form, all they care about is strong brands they can sell to the public... no more birds!!!
So what you are saying is that the average person is a moron that lacks curiosity, therefore we should incentivise that behaviour…

The Rabbitohs are one of the, if not the, most iconic Australian club sports brands, and we aren’t even sure for certain what a Rabbitoh actually was. It requires explanation to everyone with the curiosity to explore it’s meaning.

Futhermore, if you don’t understand the brand then there’s a good chance that you aren’t the target audience, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Everybody in NZ knows what a Kea is, they’ll know why it’s significant, and it’s intended to appeal to them not you.

Your line of logic also makes unique and interesting brands borderline impossible, because by their very nature brands that are unique tend to be highly localised and obscure to outsiders.
In other words the majority not knowing what they mean on face value is what makes them unique and interesting.

MugaB

Coach
So what you are saying is that the average person is a moron that lacks curiosity, therefore we should incentivise that behaviour…
Yes!
The Rabbitohs are one of the, if not the, most iconic Australian club sports brands, and we aren’t even sure for certain what a Rabbitoh actually was. It requires explanation to everyone with the curiosity to explore it’s meaning.

Futhermore, if you don’t understand the brand then there’s a good chance that you aren’t the target audience, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Everybody in NZ knows what a Kea is, they’ll know why it’s significant, and it’s intended to appeal to them not you.

Your line of logic also makes unique and interesting brands borderline impossible, because by their very nature brands that are unique tend to be highly localised and obscure to outsiders.
In other words the majority not knowing what they mean on face value is what makes them unique and interesting.
Im not saying every mascot, just ones that are birds... and technically a rabbitoh is more of a street butcher, selling rabbits for dinner...
Of course some emblems need explaining, but generally speaking a red kangaroo, is a red kangaroo, bulls are cows etc... we have had enough birds, next we will following AFL model and have Magpies, Crows, Eagles, Hawks, Swans...

Again you're over analysing every issue and complicating it, all coz you want to push a mascot on us that most people wouldnt know or invest effort into wanting to know about it...

Last edited:
It’s funny. South Melbourne (now Sydney AFL) were the Bloods. Only because a whole heap of WA imports came over and joined them, the derisive nickname ‘the swans’ came about and organically became their nickname. I find those kind of names and histories interesting. Nicknames in RL only became popular in the late 70s when they wanted to merchandise and sell stuff to fans, so Berries or Bluebags (that in itself a great nickname) swept aside for Bulldogs and Jets.

flippikat

Bench

Kea are well known for picking through people's backpacks, stripping bits off cars, and generally messing stuff up.. and they're smart as hell t'boot.

What's not to love about it as a mascot?

jim_57

Staff member

Reds would be my pick. I’d even go for WA/West Coast/Perth Red Kangaroos of the name became an issue with QLD Reds. Long names are hardly unique in the NRL.

macavity

Referee
Kea are well known for picking through people's backpacks, stripping bits off cars, and generally messing stuff up.. and they're smart as hell t'boot.

What's not to love about it as a mascot?

great mascot

would pinch Brisbane’s sponsor too

parrawentyfan

Juniors

It is like the Tasmania Jackjumpers in the NBL.
When they announced the name most people thought what the hell is a jackjumper what a stupid name.
But Tasmanians knew exactly what it meant, embraced the name and look how popular they are now (winning helps of course but still...)

The Great Dane

First Grade
I fundamentally disagree with your assertion, and think you are just projecting your own flaws onto others.
Im not saying every mascot, just ones that are birds... and technically a rabbitoh is more of a street butcher, selling rabbits for dinner...
Of course some emblems need explaining, but generally speaking a red kangaroo, is a red kangaroo, bulls are cows etc... we have had enough birds, next we will following AFL model and have Magpies, Crows, Eagles, Hawks, Swans...

Again you're over analysing every issue and complicating it, all coz you want to push a mascot on us that most people wouldnt know or invest effort into wanting to know about it...
I’m not over analysing anything, you’re just a f**king moron mate.

Nor am I pushing any mascot.
I’m totally neutral on NZ’s choice of mascot, whether that be a Kea or anything else, I just find your argumentation against the idea to be lame at best.

You’ve also failed to address any of the points I’ve made, in fact you’ve ignored most of them. So at this point you’re just wasting my time.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
It is like the Tasmania Jackjumpers in the NBL.
When they announced the name most people thought what the hell is a jackjumper what a stupid name.
But Tasmanians knew exactly what it meant, embraced the name and look how popular they are now (winning helps of course but still...)
I honestly can’t think of a better name for a Tasmanian basketball team than the Jackjumpers.

It’s as close to perfect as branding gets, and it would have been a damn shame if they had skipped on the name and gone with something generic because of a loud minority of ignorant fools.

The Great Dane

First Grade
In saying all that, MugaB’s complaint did get me thinking about how you could come up with a, let’s say dumbed down brand, for an NZ side, but still have something (relatively) unique.

I thought about of a bunch of things (long fin eel, weta, moa, tuatara, etc) but they each had their problems, and settled on bats.

Everybody knows what a bat is. Aside from Valencia there aren’t any major clubs with bats as their mascots that I can think of, and it’s definitely unique in the Tans-Tasman market. Bats are also important in NZ’s context as they are the only non- aquatic/semi-aquatic mammals that were native to the islands before human settlement.

It’d work really well with red and black colours and would give the club a bit of a unique feel and image about it. Maybe a little goth though lol.

Just my two cents anyway. Fur seals could work nicely as well, though seals and sea lions are a bit more generic.

MugaB

Coach
In saying all that, MugaB’s complaint did get me thinking about how you could come up with a, let’s say dumbed down brand, for an NZ side, but still have something (relatively) unique.

I thought about of a bunch of things (long fin eel, weta, moa, tuatara, etc) but they each had their problems, and settled on bats.

Everybody knows what a bat is. Aside from Valencia there aren’t any major clubs with bats as their mascots that I can think of, and it’s definitely unique in the Tans-Tasman market. Bats are also important in NZ’s context as they are the only non- aquatic/semi-aquatic mammals that were native to the islands before human settlement.

It’d work really well with red and black colours and would give the club a bit of a unique feel and image about it. Maybe a little goth though lol.

Just my two cents anyway. Fur seals could work nicely as well, though seals and sea lions are a bit more generic.
Bats are a good one... and again good with either yellow/black via Wellington or Red/black in Christchurch.... well done dane.. this i can agree on, not too much explaining nessesary regarding a bat, plus if you've seen that tv series by taika waititi or the movie it was based on, "what we do in the shadows" thats running at the moment all based in NZ... although its based on vampires, but bats/vampires have that delineation, but regardless a good concept nonetheless, could have fans/kids dressed up as batman or vampires

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Bats are a good one... and again good with either yellow/black via Wellington or Red/black in Christchurch.... well done dane.. this i can agree on, not too much explaining nessesary regarding a bat, plus if you've seen that tv series by taika waititi or the movie it was based on, "what we do in the shadows" thats running at the moment all based in NZ... although its based on vampires, but bats/vampires have that delineation, but regardless a good concept nonetheless, could have fans/kids dressed up as batman or vampires
Most likely, the NRL will dither & before a 2nd NZ team is announced, we'll see the "Auckland Bats" announced as a shock addition to Big Bash League cricket. ;)

Latest posts