What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos discussion etc

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
We kick off with the Raiders, who are refining their brand again.

Just as our players look for ways to stay on top of their game, so too does our organisation when it comes to our brand.
We’re proud to run you through some of the small but important modifications we’ve made that build on the revitalised logo work done in 2020.

These changes will allow the Raiders brand, a brand for all, to continue to serve Members, fans, and the Club in the best possible way, now and for years to come.
Key changes:
  • As the green machine, we wanted one colour green to anchor our club to you, our fans. Instead of multiple greens, we now have just one, unifying our current off-field and on-field greens.
colour-wheel-look-book-update.jpg

• We wanted the representation of the Raiders brand to be consistent, no matter where you see us. That’s why, we’ve reduced the number of logos to just one.
600x150_brand-image.jpg

• And we wanted a logo that works as best as it can across all applications e.g., from apparel to social media and everything in between.
Making these changes will help us stand out, whilst at the same time ensuring the DNA of the Raiders identity that we all value so highly remains front and centre.
600x250_brand-article-image.jpg

“I’ll always have a fondness and connection to the original Raiders logo. That said, I support the reasons for these changes, and look forward to seeing it on our official ISC apparel in 2024,” said Raiders CEO, Don Furner.
“The history and values of our past logos will always be remembered. Being at an inclusive club makes me so proud to be coaching the inaugural NRLW team and to know that the Raiders logo is for all.” NRLW Head Coach Darrin Borthwick said.
Our new background graphic, capturing the unique sound of our Viking clap has already been incorporated into existing creative.
Logo and brand changes will be fully implemented in season 2024, in accordance with NRL guidelines.
600x250_clap-graphic.jpg

flippikat

Bench
The simplification of the logo design is fine, but the shade of green is giving me OzEmail jersey vibes
Fair point, but it certainly puts a lighter shade of green on the table for any expansion team who wants to use it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The simplification of the logo design is fine, but the shade of green is giving me OzEmail jersey vibes
That's funny because the new simplified logo has been universally hated by the Raiders fanbase so far. I've literally never seen the fanbase so unified as we are in our hated of this logo, I haven't seen a single person defend it. The club mustn't have done any market research at all before launching it, because the response is so overwhelmingly negative that I can't believe that they would have gone ahead with it if they had.

On the other hand most people couldn't give a f**k about the green. The "new" green is basically the shade that our jerseys have been since the early 90s, and isn't anywhere near as dark as the bottle green of the OzEmail jersey.

blukablu

Juniors
That's funny because the new simplified logo has been universally hated by the Raiders fanbase so far. I've literally never seen the fanbase so unified as we are in our hated of this logo, I haven't seen a single person defend it. The club mustn't have done any market research at all before launching it, because the response is so overwhelmingly negative that I can't believe that they would have gone ahead with it if they had.

On the other hand most people couldn't give a f**k about the green. The "new" green is basically the shade that our jerseys have been since the early 90s, and isn't anywhere near as dark as the bottle green of the OzEmail jersey.

Most people just hate change initially.

Every Facebook and Instagram redesign was universally hated yet nobody stopped using their products.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most people just hate change initially.

Every Facebook and Instagram redesign was universally hated yet nobody stopped using their products.
Nah this is different than that. This is genuine disdain.

There're ways the club could have changed the logo and people would've accepted it given time, in fact they've done that multiple times in the last few years, but people really don't like this new logo and I doubt it's long for this world given the Raiders history of backflipping on changes to the brand that are negatively received.

I've never seen another change to the Raiders brand so negatively received, it's actually pretty crazy.

Nuke

Staff member
If anything, I think they've overly simplified the logo. And he kinda looks sad now, not angry.

For mine, the middle of the three ones shown is the better one, and it has the lime green too, which I feel is more iconically 'Canberra Raiders'.

Another interesting point seems to be that the logo just has 'Raiders' ... no 'Canberra'. Just as when the Knights updated their logo a few years ago and removed 'Newcastle' from the update.
Personally, I hate that, and would rather see the place name of whom the club represents on the national/international stage there rather than the name of the emblem, but first choice, for me, is placename AND emblem name.

Nuke

Staff member
And another thing:
I wasn't even aware Canberra had been using multiple logos in recent times.
I knew they'd tweaked their logo a few seasons ago, but only in a small and almost unnoticeable way, but that was all I've noticed.

The Marshall

Juniors
The more they simply these logos the more generic and boring they become. Is this a graphic design trend or a directive from the NRL because it does seem like a path most clubs go down when they update their logo. I much prefer the Dragons or Bulldogs logos with more detail.

MugaB

Coach
For mine, the middle of the three ones shown is the better one, and it has the lime green too, which I feel is more iconically 'Canberra Raiders'.
Agreed the middle one is better, but i still dont mind either, this reminds me of the tigers getting yheir update a few seasons back

kdalymc

Bench
That's Raiders logo is f**ken shit. Logos are all turning to them generic ones from rugby League 2 when you create your own team. Or some bloke from Fiverr dot com has done it up

sempmrh

Juniors
Really makes you realise just how busy the Raiders logo was even after it was updated.

I don’t mind the further simplification but I think they chose the wrong shade of green.

GAZF

First Grade
Details are a bit lacking on the horns, the nose guard looks odd at first sight, and the green eyes are dull at small sizes - but I'm otherwise fine with it. I'd have preferred the brighter lime green to be kept for very specific applications (the eyes on the logo for one), and I suspect it will eventually creep into the identity again. No word on us still apparently running with two shades of blue, unless the uniforms get overhauled in 2024.

The big letdown for me is the wordmark. Not too worried about "Canberra" going missing, but I really like the shape of the "R" on the current logo, kind of runic.

1691376099574.png1691376117099.png

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I’m hating the new logo less the more I see it but I think they’ve stepped too far with the minimalism. Maybe about halfway between the recent version and the new one would be good. The worst part is that they’ve gotten rid of the football on the helmet. A true crime if there ever was one