What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 12 vs North Qld @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield / Wanngal

Who will win? Round 12: Wests Tigers v North Qld

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade

Two Tigers young guns delivered a huge statement and signalled a positive shift forward for the merger club on Saturday night – Jahream Bula and Junior Tupou.

Combined, the pair have less than 20 NRL games to their name, but dominated the Cowboys in the club’s record-breaking rout.

Playing off the wing, Tupou scored twice and broke 10 tackles, to go with 169 running metres and two offloads.

“That is a statement from Junior Tupou, he is getting better and better,” Ennis said.

“I watched him a lot as a young kid, so shy. You could hardly get a word from him… but great to see the Tigers bring him in to their system and get the best out of him.”

“He could be a fantastic player if he continues on this upward curve,” Ginnane said.

Meanwhile Bula, who made his debut in Round 8, has clearly flourished into the club’s long-term fullback and carved up the Cowboys’ defence.

He ran for 192 metres with a try and two try assists in his most complete NRL performance to date.

Special mention to To'a, 50th game and played all over his much fancied opposites.

Last edited:
I'm still in shock. Everyone in the team with the exception of Tommy Talau had an absolute blinder. Great team effort and when we were challenged in the 2nd half we answered in emphatic style. To be able to put up 66 points is incredible.

The beers will be flowing for some time tonight.
star wars GIF

Last edited:
Fordy, a milestone with Brooks and West Tigers would be setting up a try for each half of 1 game.
200th game, not so.
egg on face, and happy about it.
Where has that game been?
Was at the game so now can’t wait to watch the replay but before that, must say.
Stanford To’a, gee what a game and confidence wise that has to do him the world of good.
Junior Tupou, as above.
Tommy Talau, gee he defended well and used his size to carry the ball with plenty of grunt.
Bula, sign the kid up long term please.
Forwards, all of them were outstanding.
Crowd, well that was a fun night out.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
It's been coming plain and simple and the steady improvement over the last 6 weeks or so prove tonight wasn't a fluke. Sheens CAN still coach no matter how much anyone would like it confirmed that he can't but ..he takes big leaps of faith .After seeing the best of the young guys tonight I'll go as far as saying we have raw talent equal to that of the Broncos at the moment. Our selection of forward imports is just right...They are taking their roles seriously and ARE finally setting the culture...the first month was the mess we unfortunately were always going to have.
Also....hope Offa backflips...he looked pretty emotional at fulltime.
* Don't get rattled by the hacks....we're not and are nowhere near the train wreck they need us to be

JohnnyThailand

Juniors
Yeah.... Ummm.... Alright... Here goes.

I'm sorry.
I'm sorry to Sheens, Marshall and Farah.
I'm sorry to the players.
I'm sorry to the club.
Over the last month something has been happening. And no I won't be negative and just blame Douehi. The effort from the team has been tremendous. The expectations I had at the start of the year are being shown on the field. And, most importantly, consistently.

I wish I'd shut up and had faith. I wish I'd given them time with so many new players and changes in the club. I wish I'd realized it wasn't going to happen immediately.

Games like today make me so proud to scream 'I f*#king love Wests Tigers' from the rooftop.

But I won't. Because I don't deserve to. Not for all the negative posts bashing the team I've made this season. Ive got to earn that right back as a supporter.

Happy to believe again.
Go Wests Tigers!

Pezz70

Juniors
I guess it shows what Brooksy can do when the forwards are doing their job, , his last few games have been pretty good, the pigs have got them on the front foot. Klemmer has been amazing and Stefano is following the leader into battle both were fantastic tonight. Best game stefano has played

Strike and threat all over the park tonight, bodies in motion, superb.

Nofo beating 4 defenders with speed, agility and strength. Wow!

Hard to pick a favourite try.

We would have beat any team in the nrl tonight.

Just about everything clicked.

Well done to the players. Saved the jersey!

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I couldn’t stop laughing. It was so unbelievable how the game unfolded. When the cowboys started to get some momentum another gutsy run from the super sub Kepaoa lead to a try and put us back on track and we didn’t look back..

I thought wakeham was a calming influence for the team. He didn’t show any emotion at all. He knew there was a job to do and it meant going for the full 80. His passing was slick. His whole demeanour including when kicking his goals was so impressive. As was his 100% record from anywhere. He’s not afraid to tackle. Also he kept his calm when he was run down and didn’t make a meal of it. He’s got a cool head on him and I’m expecting even better from him.
Toa was out of this world. Tupou and Jahream were top shelf. Nofo found his way to the line again with 2 or 3 to beat.
All the forwards were great. Pole then Klemmer and Stefano my favourites but obviously including Api and Offa - a bit late mate and Twal.

It was good to see the additions to the team, players of such quality coming to the wooden spooners being part of the improvement and being genuinely happy to be a WT

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
I couldn’t stop laughing. It was so unbelievable how the game unfolded. When they started to get some momentum another gutsy run from the super sub Kepaoa lead to a try and put us back on track and we didn’t look back..

I thought wakeham was a calming influence for the team. He didn’t show any emotion at all. He knew there was a job to do and it meant going for the full 80. His passing was slick. His whole demeanour including when kicking his goals was so impressive. As was his 100% record from anywhere. He’s not afraid to tackle. Also he kept his calm when he was run down and didn’t make a meal of it. He’s got a cool head on him and I’m expecting even better from him.
Toa was out of this world. Tupou and Jahream were top shelf. Nofo found his way to the line again with 2 or 3 to beat.
All the forwards were great. Pole then Klemmer and Stefano my favourites but obviously including Api and Offa - a bit late mate and Twal.

It was good to see the additions to the team. Players of such quality coming to the wooden spooners being part of the improvement and being genuinely happy to be a WT
Api was amazing too, he is a gun, that pass to Utiokamanu was a thing of beauty. Some of the tries were silky, the execution was spot on, Batemans try was awesome Brooks passed across the front of the ruck, I can’t remember who caught it but turned it back into Bula who made the break with Bateman backing up. The try where Bateman held up the ball for Bula who passed to Nofo to score (exceptional from Bateman) , the little run around for Pole to score, couple of quality balls from Wakeham that led to tries too. I can’t get over the game.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I still don’t rate Brooks . He still can’t plan and execute to suit what he sees in front of him. He will run even if there’s nowhere to run to, even if there’s an opportunity to pass. He still can’t see and manufacture a try. And he’s got the hardest of hands with his short passes, with that pass to Paps? that was dropped. He wasn’t found out today but everyone was up today

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
What the actual f*#k happened to that plodder Starford Toa we had last year? You’ve gotta drug test the bloke, he’s gone from Nathan Milone to Mal Meninga in the space of months. Chris Lawrence had some amazing games for us pre hip injury but I can’t remember a game like that ever from a Tigers centre.

Wizardman

First Grade
What the actual f*#k happened to that plodder Starford Toa we had last year? You’ve gotta drug test the bloke, he’s gone from Nathan Milone to Mal Meninga in the space of months. Chris Lawrence had some amazing games for us pre hip injury but I can’t remember a game like that ever from a Tigers centre.
He has been slowly bubbling for the past few weeks.....what a game. One centre spot nailed down for the year.....one to go.

Das Hassler

Bench
I thought wakeham was a calming influence for the team. He didn’t show any emotion at all. He knew there was a job to do and it meant going for the full 80. His passing was slick. His whole demeanour including when kicking his goals was so impressive. As was his 100% record from anywhere. He’s not afraid to tackle. Also he kept his calm when he was run down and didn’t make a meal of it. He’s got a cool head on him and I’m expecting even better from him

For sure....dollar for dollar he's been one of our best value signings...his partnership with Brooks is going beautifully. He reminds me a bit of Greg Oliphant...relatively slow but intelligently reliable. Also ... at long last we have a kicker who takes us up by 6's

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Well, it's the morning after the night before and I'm still buzzing (even said hello to the dog).

That game was so un WT's like, more like the Storm than us.

What do we make of this team, as many have mentioned, the last 4 or 5 weeks has been the calm before the storm, it was coming, just fantastic.

Somewhere around round 5 or 6, I was very keen to see the back of Nofa and Brooks, but f**k, they have turned their games around, though still a bit of me thinks Brooks surge is related to his next contract?

Nofa's straight running is one of the best in the business, someone has had a talk to him, I believe he mentioned Benji?

But atm, we don't appear to have any weakness in the team, the forwards are just superb and we have depth, even if Jofo goes? I mentioned earlier, I wonder if he will ask for that to be cancelled?

The halves have finally delivered, Wakeham is improving every game and a great GK to boot, if Brooks can deliver something similar most weeks, we are a chance to crack the 8 after all the shit we went through early?

But it's the backs that have been the standouts for me, Bula, To'a, Tupou, Nofa, and Talau (he has had a bit of bagging for last night, I will need to watch gain), I am not a fan of changing wining sides, but we have Naden coming back next game, so we are relatively good to go if we need him?

It's only 3 wins from 11 games, but confidence can do anything.

Though, still a way to go:
R13-bye
R14-Raiders
R15-Titans
R16-Storm
R17-bye
R18-Cowboys
R19-Sharks
R20-Knights
R21-Dragons
R22-Rabbits
R23-Raiders
R24-Warriors
R25-Dolphins
R26-Roosters
R27-Sea Eagles

The next 3 games should show us what we can expect for the rest of the season, imo. But last night showed we can beat any side in the comp, if we play to our potential.

Anyway, today we can strut, which is a good feeling.

Last edited: