What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 12 vs North Qld @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield / Wanngal

Who will win? Round 12: Wests Tigers v North Qld

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have been a big critic of Brooks for quite a while, but credit where it’s due:
Last night’s game.
2 - try assists
1 - line break
5 - tackle breaks
1 - line assist break
11 - tackles
212 - run meters (fox have it at 154)
414 - kick meters ( fox have it at 394)

Stats from Talkingwesttigers on instagram.
What a difference Api makes.

I am sure Nathan misses him, and it is good to see Brooks doing well. He was all over Chad too.

Just reaffirms my position, hookers win games, not halves.

Cameron Smith dominated for 10 years, Api won the last two, and will take you cellars dwellers forward in so many ways.

You are dangerous.

Tigerm

First Grade
The try that got you 66 was a thing of beauty, has Benji's fingerprints all over it.

I watch league to see tries like that.

Api is the best 9 in the game, I like Cook, a lot, but Api, he is just the man, Freddie do not be a dick, pick the best 9 in the game.
I thought the no looker to Stefano for the first one was outstanding, even watching it a second time it was difficult to pick what he was up to?

TBH, let Freddy pick Cook and leave our team alone.

simmo1

First Grade
I thought Talau was solid, without being a match winner, he didn’t get a lot of opportunities, but I think Naden will eventually work his way back into the side at his expense though?

Talau's defence is not first grade standard. I am not sure why we are carrying Kepaoa on the bench to replace him at the 60min mark each week. Naden has issues but he should walk into the team ahead of both Talau and Kepaoa.

The rest of the backline is coming along very nicely. I'd be looking at the player market for a left centre for 2024.

WA Tiger

Bench
Well, it's the morning after the night before and I'm still buzzing (even said hello to the dog).

That game was so un WT's like, more like the Storm than us.

What do we make of this team, as many have mentioned, the last 4 or 5 weeks has been the calm before the storm, it was coming, just fantastic.

Somewhere around round 5 or 6, I was very keen to see the back of Nofa and Brooks, but f**k, they have turned their games around, though still a bit of me thinks Brooks surge is related to his next contract?

Nofa's straight running is one of the best in the business, someone has had a talk to him, I believe he mentioned Benji?

But atm, we don't appear to have any weakness in the team, the forwards are just superb and we have depth, even if Jofo goes? I mentioned earlier, I wonder if he will ask for that to be cancelled?

The halves have finally delivered, Wakeham is improving every game and a great GK to boot, if Brooks can deliver something similar most weeks, we are a chance to crack the 8 after all the shit we went through early?

But it's the backs that have been the standouts for me, Bula, To'a, Tupou, Nofa, and Talau (he has had a bit of bagging for last night, I will need to watch gain), I am not a fan of changing wining sides, but we have Naden coming back next game, so we are relatively good to go if we need him?

It's only 3 wins from 11 games, but confidence can do anything.

Though, still a way to go:
R13-bye
R14-Raiders
R15-Titans
R16-Storm
R17-bye
R18-Cowboys
R19-Sharks
R20-Knights
R21-Dragons
R22-Rabbits
R23-Raiders
R24-Warriors
R-25-Dolphins

The next 3 games should show us what we can expect for the rest of the season, imo. But last night showed we can beat any side in the comp, if we play to our potential.

Anyway, today we can strut, which is a good feeling.
AMMENDMENT
From that unless I’m mistaken: I think we need 28/30 points to get into the 8…including our next 2 bye points puts us on 10 points, with 11 to play (potential 22 points) we can lose 1 to hit 30 or lose 2 for 28.. here we go!

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
From that Unless I’m mistaken: I think we need 28/30 points to get into the 8…including our next 2 bye points puts us on 10 points, with 11 to play (potential 22 points) we prob have to win them all to hit 30 or lose 1 for 28.. here we go!
Certainly won’t be easy, but while we are winning (if we are) others are losing, so anything is possible.

I think the raiders game will tell us a lot about our chances.

WA Tiger

Bench
Talau's defence is not first grade standard. I am not sure why we are carrying Kepaoa on the bench to replace him at the 60min mark each week. Naden has issues but he should walk into the team ahead of both Talau and Kepaoa.

The rest of the backline is coming along very nicely. I'd be looking at the player market for a left centre for 2024.
I’d give Kapaoa a shot starting at centre first . He knows what’s required now and I like what Ive seen the last 2 weeks.
He’s entrenched in that bench spot now tho..

Tigerm

First Grade
I’d give Kapaoa a shot starting at centre first . He knows what’s required now and I like what Ive seen the last 2 weeks.
He’s entrenched in that bench spot now tho..
I think Kepaoa is the best utility we could have, being able to play backs and forwards with ease.
But it may be time to think about Simpkin’s spot on the bench, API can handle an 80 min game, imo we are wasting another big bopper not being on the bench.
But we will standby for some Sheenius moves.

Benchtiger

Juniors
I would say that is the WT best win outside of the 05GF.
In reference to Brooks,Cooper Cronk said it best, while he was happy for him, he also commented as a 200 game veteran, Brooks needs to deliver regularly in games now rather than dominate in only 1 or 2 games a season as a seasoned player.

WA Tiger

Bench
Batemans try was awesome Brooks passed across the front of the ruck, I can’t remember who caught it but turned it back into Bula who made the break with Bateman backing up.
You remember the details of multiple tries better than me.. I checked with this one. Brooks to Wakeham, No look pass back to Bula then on to Bateman.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
The difference between the first two games and this one was like two different teams.

Line speed, support, kick chase, even transition from defence to attack was so much better. If the ref/bunker didnt do their ususal thing the score could have easily hit 70.

Recruiting Bateman, Klemmer, Papalii and Api in one off season was a good effort and it looks like they have all bought in. Wakeham also turned out to be a good get.

Bula, Pole & Toupu could be anything. Hoping Matamua can also get some more gametime now Joe O has gone. Hopefully they stay healthy and happy at the Tigers.

Brooks was great. It helps when the forwards are dominant and players around him are providing options. "IF" he was to go on and play as well for the remainder of the year, I could live with him staying on reduced money but if we hear he has resigned on good coin in the next couple of weeks, buckle up coz this club has learned nothing.

On a side note, was sitting behind the Fox Monitor where James Hooper was sitting. LU would be proud of the banter the crowd hurled at him. It was relentless and I am pretty sure I saw him tear up at one stage.

Been busy all day, anyone listen to th3 talking heads on the radio shows?
Assumed they were talking about the Cowboys, what went wrong, where to now, who was missing, what’s does Payten do now, such and such had a bad night and such and such is carrying an injury type stuff rather than talking about how good the Tigers were.

Tigerm

First Grade
The difference between the first two games and this one was like two different teams.

Line speed, support, kick chase, even transition from defence to attack was so much better. If the ref/bunker didnt do their ususal thing the score could have easily hit 70.

Recruiting Bateman, Klemmer, Papalii and Api in one off season was a good effort and it looks like they have all bought in. Wakeham also turned out to be a good get.

Bula, Pole & Toupu could be anything. Hoping Matamua can also get some more gametime now Joe O has gone. Hopefully they stay healthy and happy at the Tigers.

Brooks was great. It helps when the forwards are dominant and players around him are providing options. "IF" he was to go on and play as well for the remainder of the year, I could live with him staying on reduced money but if we hear he has resigned on good coin in the next couple of weeks, buckle up coz this club has learned nothing.

On a side note, was sitting behind the Fox Monitor where James Hooper was sitting. LU would be proud of the banter the crowd hurled at him. It was relentless and I am pretty sure I saw him tear up at one stage.
Has it been reported yet that has Joe actually left yet?

Tigerm

First Grade
Been busy all day, anyone listen to th3 talking heads on the radio shows?
Assumed they were talking about the Cowboys, what went wrong, where to now, who was missing, what’s does Payten do now, such and such had a bad night and such and such is carrying an injury type stuff rather than talking about how good the Tigers were.
Haters will always hate lol

Das Hassler

Bench
Haters will always hate lol

Cue Fittler and Gallen....they cannot hide their discomfort in admitting anything positive about the Tigers let alone tipping them for a win...watch Gallen tonight..." yeah sure it was a big win but the Cows have been inconsistent and it's whether WT can back it up.. which they have never been able to in the past...they're still at the bottom for a reason but we'll see ( insert condescending smirk here)"

* meant to say watch Gallen tomorrow night...lost track of what day it is...perhaps understandably :)

Last edited:

Benchtiger

Juniors
I was only saying to my mates yesterday, who are all WT supporters, regardless of our position at the time on the bottom of the ladder, that this is not the worst side ever to be coming last, as the effort has been there in the past 6 weeks.Now they have won 3 out of the last 4 games and the team is beginning to jell and gain confidence, no body will want to play us.

BrotherJim05

Bench
What I loved about that game (apart from the 66 points) was that it didn't feel like a fluke. It genuinely feels like these young men have all been getting better and better as football players but it just hasn't been geling the way it needed to.

Last night it all came together. That performance was the Sheen's team we all love and remember. Bula, Stefano, Tupou, To'a are our future and they all fkn killed it out there.