What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud News

Sage63

Juniors
With his injury prone nature, and the fact he hasn’t clicked in first grade yet I’m starting to warm to the idea of him leaving.

we struggle to have him match ready, and not discounting his massive potential, we might be better to just bite the billet and find a more ready replacement.
I believe that Bud is an out and out pure half. If the Dragons really believe in him perhaps they should consider sending him to the US to get his hammy worked on as per Latrell.

rasaint

Juniors
Hamstring injuries just seem a curse for some players/ atheletes. Others just seem ‘balanced’ and muscle injury free.

I am well on in years now but when younger was very active in touch football, running athletics etc; despite warm ups, stretching ( could put my nose on big toe flexibility) I pulled hammy probably 10 times. Other guys n girls would never have a problem.

Plenty of players injure hamstring. Calves and adductors also.

Old Timer

Coach
The trouble in the forum re discussion on young guys is

1. Far too many are talked up way too big and way too early purely on the basis of junior footy which has many flaws.
2. Based on #1 far too many are in here are sold on the fact that they are definitely going to be stars when they get to NRL and of course somehow early on they are all keepers.
3. When they do get to NRL and #1 & #2 don't come to almost immediate fruition criticism comes.
4. The criticism is often directed to the player who falls at point 3 which is not how it should be because the player didn't personally create the hype. The hype actually comes from us and other arm chair coaches and critics.
5. When criticism is leveled the people that created the hype get their hackles up and start with all the defence arguments ie FFS he's only 20, FFS he needs at least 50 NRL games, FFS he's playing behind the worst pack or outside the worst halves, FFS they don't mature until they're in their late 20's, bla bla bla,

So if people did less talking up which is only creating unrealistic expectation and we also stopped for at least 10 games in a row before starting any criticism then perhaps we would all have a better understanding of how these kids are actually going.

In the meanwhile it is open season on people like Hunt, Blocka, Lomax, Suli etc etc

The Villain

Juniors
The trouble in the forum re discussion on young guys is

1. Far too many are talked up way too big and way too early purely on the basis of junior footy which has many flaws.
2. Based on #1 far too many are in here are sold on the fact that they are definitely going to be stars when they get to NRL and of course somehow early on they are all keepers.
3. When they do get to NRL and #1 & #2 don't come to almost immediate fruition criticism comes.
4. The criticism is often directed to the player who falls at point 3 which is not how it should be because the player didn't personally create the hype. The hype actually comes from us and other arm chair coaches and critics.
5. When criticism is leveled the people that created the hype get their hackles up and start with all the defence arguments ie FFS he's only 20, FFS he needs at least 50 NRL games, FFS he's playing behind the worst pack or outside the worst halves, FFS they don't mature until they're in their late 20's, bla bla bla,

So if people did less talking up which is only creating unrealistic expectation and we also stopped for at least 10 games in a row before starting any criticism then perhaps we would all have a better understanding of how these kids are actually going.

In the meanwhile it is open season on people like Hunt, Blocka, Lomax, Suli etc etc
Ok. May as well shut the forum down then.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Toby Sexton must feel really good hearing that? What a rubbish article. They may have been interested but I think signing Toby Sexton till the end of 2024 may have ended that interest surely. Also they got that Oloapu and paid 500k release fee for him and he is a half? Buzz must be bored and looking at making up some rubbish.

Plus, Saints also reported they have no interest in Klye FLanno last week.

Bud will stay and be with his mates Sloan and Amone.

Old Timer

Coach
Ok. May as well shut the forum down then.
That's not whats being suggested in my post.

Just suggesting that things need to be far more measured.

Eg: Just a week or more ago it was all doors lead to the exit for Amone and then on the back of 1 good game he is a star again with excuses being offered as to this and that.

That indicates little conviction other than to post on the basis of 1 game at a time.

The Villain

Juniors
That's not whats being suggested in my post.

Just suggesting that things need to be far more measured.

Eg: Just a week or more ago it was all doors lead to the exit for Amone and then on the back of 1 good game he is a star again with excuses being offered as to this and that.

That indicates little conviction other than to post on the basis of 1 game at a time.
Ok. So let’s not offer an opinion until we wait a week or more.

denis preston

First Grade
If you are 21 and having recurring hamstring issues it is very concerning. But let’s just ignore it because he has talent.

You have to have an open mind and see the bigger picture. If a ready-made replacement is out there he should be considered. We need our players on the field.
Would you let go a 21 year old Laurie Daley & Brad Clyde ? They were very injury prone at Buds age but their bodies matured and it was all go from then on.

TheRev

First Grade
Amone and then on the back of 1 good game he is a star again
1 good game finally.. outside of .. guess who.... J.Sullivan.. until he went off and we fell away again..

The game is a jigsaw, and that longterm 7 is not Amone, and once Hunts gone.. we are in strife, even with Bud we need a 2nd option to cover injury if nothing else.

Herring I think is a 6 or a Centre also.. time will tell.

thebigredv

First Grade
I
Would you let go a 21 year old Laurie Daley & Brad Clyde ? They were very injury prone at Buds age but their bodies matured and it was all go from then on.
I haven’t said I’d let Sullivan go with a certainty but I think the idea may have merit with the correct replacement. As much as we believe in him, it will be very hard to rebuild with a half back that is in and out of the team constantly to injury. That’s been the story with him since he was 18. That’s the facts.

we’ve ended up in a lot of trouble with blind loyalty and I hope Flanagan can come in with ‘success starts now’ mentality. If that means making a big call on a Sloan or Sullivan then I will back him. I suspect Flanagan will want to work with these two young guns and I’m fine with that however there’s not a player in the squad whose position should be guaranteed. Someone needs to apply a blowtorch to the place. Heads need to roll high and low in the joint.

Latest posts