What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 27 vs St Geo Illa @ Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Carlton / Bidjigal

Who will win? Round 27: St Geo Illa v Newcastle

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 27
St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights
Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Carlton / Bidjigal, Carlton (TICKETS)
Saturday 2 September 2023

NRL kickoff 7:35pm
Broadcast live on Nine Network, 9Now, Fox League, Kayo Sports.

SGI2022TEAM.png

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Connor Muhleisen 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Billy Burns 12. Dan Russell 13. Jack de Belin 14. Jacob Liddle 15. Michael Molo 16. Ben Murdoch-Masila 17. Ryan Couchman 18. Toby Couchman 19. Jayden Sullivan 20. Alexander Lobb 21. Jaiyden Hunt 22. Viliami Fifita

Out: Sione Finau (wing), Zane Musgrove (bench)
In: Mathew Feagai (wing), Jack De Belin (lock)
Changes: Michael Molo (lock to bench)

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Lachlan Miller 2. Dominic Young 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Adam Clune 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Fa'amanu Brown 10. Leo Thompson 11. Dylan Lucas 12. Brodie Jones 13. Adam Elliott 14. Riley Jones 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Jack Johns 19. Oryn Keeley 20. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 21. Jackson Hastings 22. David Armstrong

Out: Kalyn Ponga (fullback), Dane Gagai (centre), Phoenix Crossland (hooker), Tyson Frizell (second row)
In: Lachlan Miller (fullback), Enari Tuala (centre), Brodie Jones (second row), Riley Jones (bench)
Changes: Fa'amanu Brown (bench to hooker)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referees: Ben Cummins;Sideline Officials: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Daniel Schwass;Video Referees: Matt Noyen

State Leagues
NSW Cup Finals Week 1 - click here

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Guaranteed to finish 5th or 6th and a home final in week 1 no matter the result.
Hope Hastings can play to get a run in.

Last edited:

Old dog

Bench
Miller? Hasn’t been named in weeks, Cup or firsts and is leaving. Play Gags at 1, Lucas at 3

Jono078

Referee
AOB has indicated if anyone has a niggle they will be rested, but he also doesn't want to shake up combinations too much.

I think Ponga will definitely get a rest. Who knows who else. I honestly think Phoenix deserves a rest. Frizell too maybe.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Frizell always seems to have a few niggles so I can see him being rested, Lucas to slot into his spot assuming Fitzy is back to play left edge.

100% gotta rest KP for this one, not really much to gain but lots to lose if he gets injured more seriously.

Nuke

Staff member
AOB has indicated if anyone has a niggle they will be rested, but he also doesn't want to shake up combinations too much.

I think Ponga will definitely get a rest. Who knows who else. I honestly think Phoenix deserves a rest. Frizell too maybe.
I reckon keep Phoenix in and keep his momentum going. He's riding a wave right now. Don't jump off it.

Woody90

Juniors
Rest KP and Friz (we need him for finals and he always has niggles). If Gagai has any type of niggle I’d rest him too - need to look after our 2 old blokes.

If he’s fit, I’d play Hastings for half a game to get some runs and combinations under his belt. Give Crossland a 40 minute break too (if we’re able - we still want to try and win to carry momentum in).

Given Nu Brown can also play back row, no reason we can’t carry both him and Clune/Hastings on the bench.

I’d play both of the Saifitis - they need the fitness.

Knight Tales

Bench
KP is less than zero chance of playing so Miller gets one last run. I doubt they will risk Jacko either. Clune has not missed a beat. It is like a dream really isn’t it. An entire squad in form.

macavity

Referee
Honestly expect us to run out a very much spare parts team and get done.

5th or 6th makes not much difference, we could end up playing any of Sharks/Raiders/Cows/Roosters/Souths. Its a crap shoot.

Apey

Staff member
Honestly expect us to run out a very much spare parts team and get done.

5th or 6th makes not much difference, we could end up playing any of Sharks/Raiders/Cows/Roosters/Souths. Its a crap shoot.
The following is based on results I expect.

5th
Pro - Raiders week 1 most likely
Con - Storm week 2 in Melbourne

6th
Pro - Warriors week 2
Con - Roosters/Souths/Sharks/Cowboys week 1. Not that we can't beat any of them but Raiders are the worst team competing for the finals.

perverse

Referee
The following is based on results I expect.

5th
Pro - Raiders week 1 most likely
Con - Storm week 2 in Melbourne

6th
Pro - Warriors week 2
Con - Roosters/Souths/Sharks/Cowboys week 1. Not that we can't beat any of them but Raiders are the worst team competing for the finals.
May sound strange but I think i'd prefer Melbourne in Melbourne than the Warriors in NZ at the moment. I don't really see the current Melbourne team as a typical Melbourne team from the last decade or more. I think they're quite beatable.

NZ continue to fly under the radar, but they look up for it this year. SJ is in rare touch.

Week 1 I'm not fussed. I think we can and should beat all of them if Ponga is close to 100% effective.

Apey

Staff member
May sound strange but I think i'd prefer Melbourne in Melbourne than the Warriors in NZ at the moment. I don't really see the current Melbourne team as a typical Melbourne team from the last decade or more. I think they're quite beatable.

NZ continue to fly under the radar, but they look up for it this year. SJ is in rare touch.

Week 1 I'm not fussed. I think we can and should beat all of them if Ponga is close to 100% effective.
I reckon Storm in Melbourne are different than anywhere else (except maybe Suncorp) - away from home they're the weakest of the top 4. Home record is 9 - 3 and away record 6 - 5 this year. They've lost 1 game at home since RD10 and that was to the Panthers. I think of all the teams in the top 4 they have the biggest home ground advantage. On the flipside, they probably have the weakest edge defence which has been a problem for them for several years now and would work in our favour.

I see Warriors a bit like I see us. Expecting them to falter at any moment (that's trauma for you). They'd be my pick to go out in straight sets if any team does. Panthers Week 1 and winner of 6/7th if they lose to Panthers.

perverse

Referee
I reckon Storm in Melbourne are different than anywhere else (except maybe Suncorp) - away from home they're the weakest of the top 4. Home record is 9 - 3 and away record 6 - 5 this year. They've lost 1 game at home since RD10 and that was to the Panthers. I think of all the teams in the top 4 they have the biggest home ground advantage. On the flipside, they probably have the weakest edge defence which has been a problem for them for several years now and would work in our favour.

I see Warriors a bit like I see us. Expecting them to falter at any moment (that's trauma for you). They'd be my pick to go out in straight sets if any team does. Panthers Week 1 and winner of 6/7th if they lose to Panthers.
Yeah fair enough. It's probably much of a muchness, anyone can turn up and put in a blinder and walk away with the points. Neither road trips would be fun or easy.

I'm just not intimidated by Melbourne like I used to be, but the Warriors are an unknown quantity. Anything is possible as long as Ponga is firing.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
1. Lachlan Miller 2. Dominic Young 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Adam Clune 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Fa'amanu Brown 10. Leo Thompson 11. Dylan Lucas 12. Brodie Jones 13. Adam Elliott

14. Riley Jones 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker

18. Jack Johns 19. Oryn Keeley 20. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 21. Jackson Hastings 22. David Armstrong

Out: Kalyn Ponga (fullback), Dane Gagai (centre), Phoenix Crossland (hooker), Tyson Frizell (second row)
In: Lachlan Miller (fullback), Enari Tuala (centre), Brodie Jones (second row), Riley Jones (bench)
Changes: Fa'amanu Brown (bench to hooker)