What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial 2: Newcastle Knights v Melbourne Storm - Saturday 24th February - Churchill Park Fiji

As garbage as that was we need to remind ourselves who our opponents were today. It was awful but it could have been far worse. It was classic second half Storm. Once they have you they just throttle you to
Death. It is about getting the job done.

Idk... that was a Storm side with some big names missing. They didn't really play that well. A lot to work on for us.

Yosh

Coach
Poor performance all round. We were so flat all game, in terms of both our positioning and enthusiasm. Hopefully it was just the weather and travel to Fiji that was the issue.

KPP to be in the starting 13 for me.

Why do both the Saifitis start the season so slow every single year? Hetherington looked sharp.

Who is our replacement 13 when Elliot gets a rest btw?

Old dog

Juniors
Think over all we were ordinary today, as bad as some went possible replacement went the same.
Starting 17 today with Brailey in for Cogger, start Hetherington for JSaf, Cartwright in for Pearce- Paul

Zoidberg

First Grade
I didn’t get to see the game, obviously sounds like we were poor.
Did having Cogger at dummy half have anything to do with our halves going bad? Slow service?
Either way, bring on the real season baby.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Our best 17 this season imo is going to be something like:

KP
Marz
Best
Gagai
Armstrong (assuming he leaves, Jenkins)
Pryce
Hastings
Leo
Brailey
JSaf
Lucas/KPP
Frizz
Elliot

Phoenix
KPP/Lucas
DSaf
? Hetherington at this stage which is a concern.

slotmachine

First Grade
If you don't like Tuala's work in yardage fair enough he's not exactly Marz, but don't really see how you can suggest Armstrong, got absolutely man-handled playing against actual first graders yesterday.

Marz 8 runs 93 metres (11.6m per run)
Tuala 14 runs 138 metres (9.9m per run)
Moceidreke 9 runs 70 metres (7.7m per run)
Jenkins 3 runs 18 meters (6m per run)
Armstrong 4 runs 23 metres (5.8m per run)

Hetho was probably our best prop too.

Have to say it's going to be painful getting over Dom leaving if the right edge plays likes he's still there. Way too many passes from gamble and gags expecting him to swoop in and Tuala 5 yards behind the play.

Woody90

Juniors
Our best 17 this season imo is going to be something like:

KP
Marz
Best
Gagai
Armstrong (assuming he leaves, Jenkins)
Pryce
Hastings
Leo
Brailey
JSaf
Lucas/KPP
Frizz
Elliot

Phoenix
KPP/Lucas
DSaf
? Hetherington at this stage which is a concern.

You’d have both Armstrong and Jenkins over Tuala? Tuala outplayed them both easily and will be one of the first picked IMO. Armstrongs speed is exciting but will be man handled. I’d play Tuala there until we find a better wing option. I know he’s not exiting to watch, but he has a more solid overall game than any of the other options. Although tbf none of the wingers got much of a chance to shine given we were always on the back foot and the halves were diabolical.

Also Leo and Hetherington should start over both the Safs.

Id also have Crossland starting and Brailey easing back from the bench whenever he’s fit.

ryan.a87

Juniors
To be fair to Hethrington whilst he is undoubtedly a brain explosion waiting to happen he atleast runs with some intent as opposed to the Saifitis who kind of just jog into the defensive line
He also doesn’t knock it on in our own half at least once a game

Knight Tales

Juniors
Safs would be comfortable now on the money we are paying them. Freddy Fittler has created this issue. Had they not played Origin I doubt we would have kept them. But letting two rep players go would create discourse in The supporter base and sponsors. The fact we were looking to offload D Saf and Bradman tells you the club has concerns about output to income ratios but are also lacking better options to replace. Hopefully this crop of juniors in the top 30 shift this mentality a little.

Woody90

Juniors
Safs would be comfortable now on the money we are paying them. Freddy Fittler has created this issue. Had they not played Origin I doubt we would have kept them. But letting two rep players go would create discourse in The supporter base and sponsors. The fact we were looking to offload D Saf and Bradman tells you the club has concerns about output to income ratios but are also lacking better options to replace. Hopefully this crop of juniors in the top 30 shift this mentality a little.

Yep, we’ve historically struggled to produce or buy quality props which I think has bred this assumption that we have to hold onto them if they’ve played SOO, even if they’re not benefiting the side.

To be honest they get a lot of slack for being lazy but I think the greatest issue is that the game has become to fast for them, and while that suits the majority of our side, they’ve been left behind. They were genuinely good for a few years there, but they don’t suit the current game. Sadly we’ll keep them on and pay them overs because we don’t have many options up front and I think AOB is hoping in vein they’ll improve. They’re not built for the game now though.

The fact we were looking to offload D Saf and Bradman tells you the club has concerns about output to income ratios but are also lacking better options to replace
Just had to comment on this. It is amazing to me how some stories are started and the public eats it up. This originated from Danny Weildler - the story being the Knights are feeling cap pressure and "may have to move some players on" and then suggested "players like Bradman Best and Dan Saifiti could be moved on "

Once FOX got this they ran with it.

Rod

Bench
Just to play a bit of devil's advocate I think this is a bit of an overreaction to the Safs. They were good in the back half of last year and AOB has the right idea to stagger them so that 1 is on the field at all times. Not gonna panic over 1 trial in that sort of weather.

The point about them in the red zone is fair though, they can be a handbrake there for sure.

I do think Leo will be our best prop by the end of the year and possibly one of the better ones in the comp, he's just a gun.

Part of the issue is after those 3 there's not a whole lot, it's our weakest position depth-wise and it showed in the SF last year when we played the Warriors without DSaf. I'm assuming the plan after those 3 is Hetherington plus perhaps some middle minutes for Cartright and/or KPP.

We do always seem to lack one outright big unit, teams like the Storm/Roosters/Manly always seem to have one big Olakau'atu type who looks bigger than most of our forward pack combined.

mozza91

Coach
Thought Jacob was pretty good last year once he got his match fitness back after the suspension. Daniel was really poor though, I know he was carrying an injury all year which didn’t help but he struggled.

I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the trials but if they’re not firing in a months time questions will need to be asked.