What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The experiment has failed

Smacka

Juniors
1999 - 2023

25 years of waste , confusion and angst.
The NRL has bastardised the game of Rugby League.
Corruption is rife - Management , Game Officials , Judiciary , Media , operation of Clubs.
Contracts broken at whim / Players jumping ship on the eve of Finals in the hope of picking up an elusive premiership.
Favouritism to "Expansion Clubs".
Betting Organisations are the real Powerbrokers overseen by the Gambling Messiah Mr P V'Landys.
Junior development levels are at record lows.
And so it goes ...

As a St George Supporter since 1960 , I was prepared to give the NRL setup a go. At the behest of the new regime at the time we linked with Illawarra. This association has failed miserably with few exceptions. We imported mediocrity that has been a stain on our proud Club ever since. Impending changes to Coaching / Player Personnel will have little impact as "the Joint Venture" continues on its way.

I will always be a St George Supporter.

Parko1310

Juniors
1999 - 2023

Corruption is rife - Management , Game Officials , Judiciary , Media , operation of Clubs.
Contracts broken at whim / Players jumping ship on the eve of Finals in the hope of picking up an elusive premiership.
Betting Organisations are the real Powerbrokers overseen by the Gambling Messiah Mr P V'Landys.
And so it goes ...

As a St George Supporter since 1960 , I was prepared to give the NRL setup a go. At the behest of the new regime at the time we linked with Illawarra. This association has failed miserably with few exceptions. We imported mediocrity that has been a stain on our proud Club ever since. Impending changes to Coaching / Player Personnel will have little impact as "the Joint Venture" continues on its way.

I mean if the old farts like Doust on the St George side accepted it was St George Illawarra we'd be going way better. Don't blame the joint venture, it's up to the idiots at the top to just work together in the best interest of that one club being St George Illawarra. They refuse to do so, and so we sit where we sit. Posts like that just create more division in the fanbase, which justifies the actions of the incompetent parasites at the top in their mind

Jersey No 14

Juniors
These guys have harmed a great game on their watch.
Through the BS the evidence is there.
too many over paid under skilled mercenaries playing the game.
yep I wish I was younger (name withheld) I would of kicked arse easily for far longer.
NRL to the US is a need to expand the talent pool.
thete are too many better things to do - the world is our oyster.
truck the game - and all those who run and are in it - it has been butchered beyond repair
Again evidence is right there
not only has to shot itself in the foot it’s burning
Peter V Landys at many of his action including favoritism to several club
I and my mates got better things to do - all rich (yep) our sons actually could give a sh@t any longer.
Ph - contempt
I give it your best shot - I don’t care.
my money and that of the boys is going elsewhere

Jersey No 14

Juniors
NRL’s glory days are over
Now it’s - by any means necessary.
I don’t care anymore- one example- look at the easy path the Broncos have got. Because they haven’t won it for so long.
look at the way they are nobbling Penrith.
how is Canterbury so bad.
Not enough Talent to fill the teams.
Redcliffe is a mistake
The refereeing system are the one who should be held accountable.

Draginzaaar

Bench
1999 - 2023

And so it goes ...

Yeah, the St George side has been great haven't they? Yeah, nah.

Victoire

Juniors
1c228adc-af35-4c08-b0fc-df13cc869a94.png

I can't stand V'landy's but the game is thriving in spite of him. On track to break the highest average crowd per game in history - a record held since 2005. They've also broken ratings records on tv this year and have outrated AFL. Hey, keep yelling at that cloud though

56to66

Juniors
1999 - 2023

And so it goes ...

Spot on, Love It, Souffs survived , would have survived without the Win Steelers (0 premierships), the St George Dragons would have found plenty of true cashed up owners.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Is the truth still hurting your butt again Mr PVL or MR Abdo?......We all can see what you're doing

Re-read all the posts above or do you still have the horse blinkers on?
The problem is that the NRL want fewer Sydney Clubs and more representation elsewhere. Dragons to Wollongong is a priority for the NRL.

Ad this to P Doust's and C Young's desire to firstly look after themselves and their mates financially and so, arrange for the Illawarra license to go to the lower bidder, and you can get a real feel for what is going on at the Dragons.

It’s been achieved by stealth

We are now a Wollongong based club

It is one of a number of things hindering external recruitment:

Poor administration

12 years of on field mediocrity thank you Price/Mary/Hook

Wollongong v Sydney as a place to live. Wollongong is a great place however Sydney is more attractive to a lot of families

NRL/Fox have since the end of the Super League war sought to remove us from the competition. They want fewer Sydney teams and our club and Wests Tigers are living on borrowed time.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
1c228adc-af35-4c08-b0fc-df13cc869a94.png

I can't stand V'landy's but the game is thriving in spite of him. On track to break the highest average crowd per game in history - a record held since 2005. They've also broken ratings records on tv this year and have outrated AFL. Hey, keep yelling at that cloud though
Don’t talk shit
Produce the stats
Never outrates the AFL
Maybe in Blacktown
I think the Matildas slaughtered the state of origin ( I actually know)
Haaaa you talk make believe

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Wollongong is a great place however Sydney is more attractive to a lot of families

In what way is Sydney more attractive to families?

Is it the highest house prices in Australia, higher rents, congestion, pollution, crime rate or road tolls which make families so keen to flock to it?

Maybe I’m working off a small sample, but I know more families who have moved from Sydney than to it..

Old Timer

Coach
In what way is Sydney more attractive to families?

Is it the highest house prices in Australia, higher rents, congestion, pollution, crime rate or road tolls which make families so keen to flock to it?

Maybe I’m working off a small sample, but I know more families who have moved from Sydney than to it..
No doubt what you say is true in respect of the "average working class family" who experiences all the real pressures of life but not so sure it equates to the "extremely well paid > $400/annum" footballer.

Living in the Sydney hype is well within their comfort zone and let's face it Sydney has much more to offer hype wise for single / childless / I'm out for a good time footy players.

Maybe that's why we attracted so many shit fringe players to Wollongong who we no doubt paid overs for but even allowing for that they still fall under what it takes to be able to afford a Sydney lifestyle.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Wincorp needs to pull its finger out and open the cheque book or the merger is a sinking ship .
All grades a failure for 2023 the worst ever .
This is the mentality I don’t get about our fan base.

Why is it WIN, a non football entity, is responsible for the failure of all grades of football when the other half of our club is a football entity?

It’s like blaming the St George leagues club for WINs TV ratings taking a dive.

Both need to lift their f**king game, if you ask me.

It’s not a case of them vs us.

It’s we.

thebigredv

First Grade
This is the mentality I don’t get about our fan base.

Why is it WIN, a non football entity, is responsible for the failure of all grades of football when the other half of our club is a football entity?

It’s like blaming the St George leagues club for WINs TV ratings taking a dive.

Both need to lift their f**king game, if you ask me.

It’s not a case of them vs us.

It’s we.
I don’t really know the finer details of how clubs are run. I kind of wish I did but at the end of the day my love of Dragons started because they were my club and I loved rugby league. I’d rather just remain focused on the footy but the game has become so corporatised and it’s not really possible to segregate the on and off field stuff as a fan. It’d be nice to know the BOD, sponsors, owners were in sync with the coach and team. That there would be some legal methods used to attract talent as is so often heard of at other clubs.

From what I can gather, fans see individuals who have financial/business/director roles and who are particularly known for being highly influential and driven people. Think Politis, Crowe, Gould, Holmes a Court off the top of my head. So I get why Dragons fans, tired of losing the off field battle, looking to the corporate ‘owners’ to get inspired and be outspoken about the actual football success of the club. This has not ever been the case looking from the outside in.

Latest posts