What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The experiment has failed

possm

Coach
I do have no doubt that all of the problems at the Dragons start and finish at the BoD. Not only do we again need a significant cleanout at the player roster level, but we also need a cleanout at the board level.

The sleazy share deal where the shares were sold to the lowest bidder and the former funder of the Illawarra Club was not in the best interest of the Dragons Club, St George Illawarra However, many decision-makers came together to support such a deal as it was filled with elements that rewarded their own best interests.

So from this smelly deal, a new partnership was born and the result was always going to be a downward spiral.

The fact is that St George Leagues Club has always had the money and the Gordons have always had the money but neither were willing to spend it. And the internal horse trading and self-interested deals were always going to result in the results we now have.

_Johnsy

Referee
1999 - 2023

25 years of waste , confusion and angst.
The NRL has bastardised the game of Rugby League.
Corruption is rife - Management , Game Officials , Judiciary , Media , operation of Clubs.
Contracts broken at whim / Players jumping ship on the eve of Finals in the hope of picking up an elusive premiership.
Favouritism to "Expansion Clubs".
Betting Organisations are the real Powerbrokers overseen by the Gambling Messiah Mr P V'Landys.
Junior development levels are at record lows.
And so it goes ...

As a St George Supporter since 1960 , I was prepared to give the NRL setup a go. At the behest of the new regime at the time we linked with Illawarra. This association has failed miserably with few exceptions. We imported mediocrity that has been a stain on our proud Club ever since. Impending changes to Coaching / Player Personnel will have little impact as "the Joint Venture" continues on its way.

I will always be a St George Supporter.
It didn't go the way I wanted it to go = corruption.
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
In what way is Sydney more attractive to families?

Is it the highest house prices in Australia, higher rents, congestion, pollution, crime rate or road tolls which make families so keen to flock to it?

Maybe I’m working off a small sample, but I know more families who have moved from Sydney than to it..
Having lived in Sydney (now on the GC) you couldn't pay me enough $ to live there (or Melbourne).

The coastal location is sooooo much more conducive to a better lifestyle. Maybe the club isn't doing a good enough job of selling the lifestyle. Yeah I know The Gong isn't the GC, but the premise of a better coastal laid back lifestyle still rings true IMO.

_Johnsy

Referee
Don’t talk shit
Produce the stats
Never outrates the AFL
Maybe in Blacktown
I think the Matildas slaughtered the state of origin ( I actually know)
Haaaa you talk make believe
Stop talking shit. How about you produce the stats?

On a side note NRL does outrate the AFL. Maybe you should do some fact checking before you stand up & start beating your chest.
Top 4 AFL-NRL ratings for the season thus far.
#1 Tigers/Blues 1.259m - Broncos/Dolphins 1.441m
#2 Lions/Pies 1.094m - Eels/Broncos 1.195m
#3 Crows/Blues 1.043m - Panthers/Broncos 1.189m
#4 Blues/Cats 1.060m - Cowboys/Dolphins 1.170m

NRL - Total 107.479m Ave @ 702,000 (153 matches)
AFL - Total 85.263m Ave 557,000 (153 matches)

https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/07/19/afl-and-nrl-tv-ratings/

What was that about talking make believe?

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Stop talking shit. How about you produce the stats?

On a side note NRL does outrate the AFL. Maybe you should do some fact checking before you stand up & start beating your chest.
Top 4 AFL-NRL ratings for the season thus far.
#1 Tigers/Blues 1.259m - Broncos/Dolphins 1.441m
#2 Lions/Pies 1.094m - Eels/Broncos 1.195m
#3 Crows/Blues 1.043m - Panthers/Broncos 1.189m
#4 Blues/Cats 1.060m - Cowboys/Dolphins 1.170m

NRL - Total 107.479m Ave @ 702,000 (153 matches)
AFL - Total 85.263m Ave 557,000 (153 matches)

https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/07/19/afl-and-nrl-tv-ratings/

What was that about talking make believe?
Hmmm interesting
You’ve included the origin series so yes tv wins
What about average physical attendance figures I think I saw that nrl had av 15k down from last year and afl had 40k
Cheers thanks for those stats

BLM01

First Grade
Having lived in Sydney (now on the GC) you couldn't pay me enough $ to live there (or Melbourne).

The coastal location is sooooo much more conducive to a better lifestyle. Maybe the club isn't doing a good enough job of selling the lifestyle. Yeah I know The Gong isn't the GC, but the premise of a better coastal laid back lifestyle still rings true IMO.
Agree but we say that at what age?. I bet in our 20's or even early 30's you would not think like that.

Victoire

Juniors
Hmmm interesting
What about average physical attendance figures I think I saw that nrl had av 15k down from last year and afl had 40k
This nonce is in here spouting about the Matildas again when nobody mentioned them... and then when the facts are produced he decides to move the goalposts.

btw I didn't compare NRL crowds to AFL - I said it was the highest NRL average crowd in history. And here's your stats

_Johnsy

Referee
Hmmm interesting
The quote used was outrate. That only refers to tv, not attendances.

No argument that they flog us in game day attendances.

_Johnsy

Referee
Agree but we say that at what age?. I bet in our 20's or even early 30's you would not think like that.
In my 20's 100%, Although being in my 20's I didn't miss out on much re: lifestyle on the GC. I lived in Sydney up until about 9, have been back many, many times. The issue is with Sydney you need very, very long pockets to enjoy the best it has to offer (location etc).

Melbourne is just an out & out pass. A weekend here or there is tolerable, but I think it's an absolute shithole. Each time I have been back (at my wife's insistence), I think each time why the f*** did we come back.

For me in my early thirties had a couple of young kids so I'm glad I was already on the GC. At this point having lived 90% of my years on the GC I couldn't fathom living in Sydney or Melbourne. Each to their own though.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
This nonce is in here spouting about the Matildas again when nobody mentioned them... and then when the facts are produced he decides to move the goalposts.

btw I didn't compare NRL crowds to AFL - I said it was the highest NRL average crowd in history. And here's your stats

Haaaa what’s a nonce??
Btw easy to break records from a low base

denis preston

First Grade
This is the mentality I don’t get about our fan base.

Why is it WIN, a non football entity, is responsible for the failure of all grades of football when the other half of our club is a football entity?

It’s like blaming the St George leagues club for WINs TV ratings taking a dive.

Both need to lift their f**king game, if you ask me.

It’s not a case of them vs us.

It’s we.
I’m not a fan of Wins ownership but the St George side of the JV has been just as bad.

Gareth67

First Grade
Naa you are all wrong , you pack of drongos . I blame it squarely on the weather ! Have you noticed that when the Dragons play on a sunny day we lose ? Then we play on a cloudy day and we lose , hell if we play when it’s dark-time we still fooking lose .

Either that or we have a pack of bickering fools at board level who don’t give a damn about the team’s potential to win a premiership and so it goes on season after season .

Anyway bring on season 2024 , it cannot be any worse - can it ? 🤔

SEAT 1A

Bench
Naa you are all wrong , you pack of drongos . I blame it squarely on the weather ! Have you noticed that when the Dragons play on a sunny day we lose ? Then we play on a cloudy day and we lose , hell if we play when it’s dark-time we still fooking lose .

Either that or we have a pack of bickering fools at board level who don’t give a damn about the team’s potential to win a premiership and so it goes on season after season .

Agree Gareth67.

Every part of running a successful club has passed us.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

I remember we won a game at Jubilee with the lights outs at one end. Maybe that's the answer.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would love to see if the club increase membership prices next season? They need to give discounts if anything especially after putting Saints fans through this season. All because they did not want to sack Hook which they knew would fail in 2023 but held on to him in the slightest of hope he doesn't fail so they don't waste money on a new coach in 2023.

You look at Adam O'Brien who was under pressure to retain his job mid season and the Knights have won their past 9 and had their best finish to a season in a while. Saints were dreaming if they expected that type of response with the type of coaching and style of play under Hook's watch. Apparently O'Brien is still not guaranteed past 2024 and it could be his last season at the Knights next season.