What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

getsmarty

Immortal
It's not an either/or regarding the recruitment of forwards and backs.. we have cash for all of them if we can find the players that a) flanno can sign and b) will actually come.

And yes I dislike Hunt like everyone else, but his complaints are legit in that he was promised improvements in the front office / recruitment, leading to a quality roster.. if things hadnt of blown up the way they did, I don't think we would have a) the change of board members b) openness to change the football dept (Haran still tbd) and c) The vision to appoint a coach like Flanno.. who wasnt even on our list of names until the very end.

But Hunts honesty in the media, wasn't particularly strategic, its ended up hurting him and the club.. he led us to keeping Hook 12-18mths too long, but tbf he backed himself (with Hook) to turn things around if we could do a better job with recruitment... and maybe he could have.. we did let him down.. but he's also the pivotal instrument in that demise. I completely understand his perspective though.. and why he would want to run away now and have a fresh start.

Really its just a marker of how poorly run the club has been that we let ourselves get into the position where only have 1 marquee player left and he has so much control over our clubs future, it's been a decade in the making.

100% correct.... again people need to aim there anger towards the board....

getsmarty

Immortal
Just on Hunt , once again a very good game playing for the Kangaroos last night .

It would appear that he places value on a particular jersey
then he will play accordingly , let’s hope that the same applies with the Dragon jersey next season .

With all due respect, look at the plodders in our side.... our pack is not up to standard...we are unfit and slow...hard to shine in those circumstances...Hunt is usually one of our best.

I get all the angst, but let's at least keep some perspective.

TruSaint

Referee
It's not an either/or regarding the recruitment of forwards and backs.. we have cash for all of them if we can find the players that a) flanno can sign and b) will actually come.

And yes I dislike Hunt like everyone else, but his complaints are legit in that he was promised improvements in the front office / recruitment, leading to a quality roster.. if things hadnt of blown up the way they did, I don't think we would have a) the change of board members b) openness to change the football dept (Haran still tbd) and c) The vision to appoint a coach like Flanno.. who wasnt even on our list of names until the very end.

But Hunts honesty in the media, wasn't particularly strategic, its ended up hurting him and the club.. he led us to keeping Hook 12-18mths too long, but tbf he backed himself (with Hook) to turn things around if we could do a better job with recruitment... and maybe he could have.. we did let him down.. but he's also the pivotal instrument in that demise. I completely understand his perspective though.. and why he would want to run away now and have a fresh start.

Really its just a marker of how poorly run the club has been that we let ourselves get into the position where only have 1 marquee player left and he has so much control over our clubs future, it's been a decade in the making.

Hi Rev, here's my problem with your second paragraph.

a.) No Player should be able to make demands on any Club to the extent that you suggest.

b.) Any changes made are all still subjective. It's an easy cop out.

c.) Does Not excuse him one iota for going public MID season. I know you covered this.

d.) Makes the Club look absolutely piss weak.

None of us here know what he was and wasn't promised. All we know is that he went public asking for an immediate release. He's not a kid. He is an experienced international.

If he stays, which I'm sure he will, then so be it. But I cannot blame the Club on his mess, as much as I would like to. He won't be staying because he wants to IMV. It's only that certain doors may have closed for him.

Illusion

Bench
Hi Rev, here's my problem with your second paragraph.

a.) No Player should be able to make demands on any Club to the extent that you suggest.

b.) Any changes made are all still subjective. It's an easy cop out.

c.) Does Not excuse him one iota for going public MID season. I know you covered this.

d.) Makes the Club look absolutely piss weak.

None of us here know what he was and wasn't promised. All we know is that he went public asking for an immediate release. He's not a kid. He is an experienced international.

If he stays, which I'm sure he will, then so be it. But I cannot blame the Club on his mess, as much as I would like to. He won't be staying because he wants to IMV. It's only that certain doors may have closed for him.
For me the sooner he is gone the better , then the club can truly start the rebuild ....... I can see this (Hunt staying when he wants out) becoming a problem in many ways .........

Dragon David

First Grade
Watching PNG today and watching Ipape in the English game he is not NRL standard.
I hope he's not coming.
Hopefully we are also letting Russell go.
Yes, not the best day from a lot of the PNG players. Next week will be another game between PNG and Fiji and I think the game will be a lot closer than the 43-16 thrashing of the PNG team by Fiji today.

Watching PNG today and watching Ipape in the English game he is not NRL standard.
I hope he's not coming.
Hopefully we are also letting Russell go.
Let's hope Russell scores himself another trail and train contract at best.
A lot of indicators that Flanagan has ear marked his recruitment targets, especially for 2025.
I doubt that Dearden will leave the Cowboys.
Think he is doing what many players do and will use the offers from the Dragons and other clubs to leverage the best deal possible for himself to stay with the Cows.
In an article I read recently about Crichton now staying put at the Roosters, there was a mention that this could translate into them having to release some of their younger talent to squeeze Crichton and some other high profile players in under the cap.

kit66

Bench
I caught up with an old mate yesterday and had a long chat about the Dragons. This guy played in the juniors for the Dragons many, many moons ago and he's a tragic like us. He never made 1st grade but played country footy well into his late 30's and knows everyone. He was telling me about a mate of his who has been involved in junior development and recruitment for many clubs all over NSW for over 20 years. This mate of his told him that many juniors who sign with us do so only as a stepping stone in the hope of being spotted and poached by a better club and they do this because Dragons have a reputation of being so poorly run and administered for so long that it's only a foot in the door for them, nothing more, they don't want to stay if there's a chance to do better. Dragons Juniors are often mistreated, overlooked, given little opportunity or support and it's "who you know, not how well you play" at Saints. Plus the Club bosses and backers are on the nose with everyone.
He said anyone who stood out was immediately poached by other clubs, Souths, Cronulla, Canberra and I think he also said Penrith in particular but a lot of clubs keep a close eye on us as it's easy to get our young fellas to walk.
That's why we end up with players like the Feagais as the next big thing when they're so obviously well below the standard of their peers at other clubs. On the other hand you get a player like Sullivan who really wants to be a Dragon told to look elsewhere.
Depressing I know but it tells a story we already know and emphasizes that putting all your faith in a new coach or a couple of new players is ultimately pointless without change higher up and a radical culture shift, and also that putting too much blame on those same coaches and players is also a bit pointless and unfair - although I will say that there's some obvious cliquey behaviour and favouritism from said coaches and players at times which you can also blame on management for allowing (and likely colluding in) such behaviour.

BLM01

First Grade
I caught up with an old mate yesterday and had a long chat about the Dragons. This guy played in the juniors for the Dragons many, many moons ago and he's a tragic like us. He never made 1st grade but played country footy well into his late 30's and knows everyone. He was telling me about a mate of his who has been involved in junior development and recruitment for many clubs all over NSW for over 20 years. This mate of his told him that many juniors who sign with us do so only as a stepping stone in the hope of being spotted and poached by a better club and they do this because Dragons have a reputation of being so poorly run and administered for so long that it's only a foot in the door for them, nothing more, they don't want to stay if there's a chance to do better. Dragons Juniors are often mistreated, overlooked, given little opportunity or support and it's "who you know, not how well you play" at Saints. Plus the Club bosses and backers are on the nose with everyone.
He said anyone who stood out was immediately poached by other clubs, Souths, Cronulla, Canberra and I think he also said Penrith in particular but a lot of clubs keep a close eye on us as it's easy to get our young fellas to walk.
That's why we end up with players like the Feagais as the next big thing when they're so obviously well below the standard of their peers at other clubs. On the other hand you get a player like Sullivan who really wants to be a Dragon told to look elsewhere.
Depressing I know but it tells a story we already know and emphasizes that putting all your faith in a new coach or a couple of new players is ultimately pointless without change higher up and a radical culture shift, and also that putting too much blame on those same coaches and players is also a bit pointless and unfair - although I will say that there's some obvious cliquey behaviour and favouritism from said coaches and players at times which you can also blame on management for allowing (and likely colluding in) such behaviour.
Geez your mates mate did not miss
It’s almost like your mate or mates mate has a beef or an axe to grind against the Dragons
But is he right 100%?, well there has certainly been some issues with senior football staff and board members from what I have experienced and seen from the side lines in the last 10 years or so anyway
Certainly does not paint a pretty picture.. yikes

BLM01

First Grade
Let's hope Russell scores himself another trail and train contract at best.
A lot of indicators that Flanagan has ear marked his recruitment targets, especially for 2025.
I doubt that Dearden will leave the Cowboys.
Think he is doing what many players do and will use the offers from the Dragons and other clubs to leverage the best deal possible for himself to stay with the Cows.
In an article I read recently about Crichton now staying put at the Roosters, there was a mention that this could translate into them having to release some of their younger talent to squeeze Crichton and some other high profile players in under the cap.
Billy Smith will struggle to make the top squad at full strength.
Just his name alone says he is made for the Dragons

Gareth67

First Grade
With all due respect, look at the plodders in our side.... our pack is not up to standard...we are unfit and slow...hard to shine in those circumstances...Hunt is usually one of our best.

I get all the angst, but let's at least keep some perspective.
Yes many of his Dragon teammates are not quite up to scratch , let’s hope that Flanagan is able to strengthen his squad with a number of quality signings that will at the very least assist Hunt’s game .

hewi

Bench

‘Don’t shoot the messenger, I think that’s spot on.

kit66

Bench
Geez your mates mate did not miss
It’s almost like your mate or mates mate has a beef or an axe to grind against the Dragons
But is he right 100%?, well there has certainly been some issues with senior football staff and board members from what I have experienced and seen from the side lines in the last 10 years or so anyway
Certainly does not paint a pretty picture.. yikes

I don't think either guy has a problem with the Dragons on a personal level, I think this is just Industry gossip. I was a travelling salesman for many years and you get to learn a lot about your competitors, the customers and other operators in the industry, for example which companies are well managed or not and which look after their customers or not. You learn a lot about the products as well. I've also worked for companies that are so poorly run you're planning your next job after just a few months. It's obvious our reputation is affecting our recruitment, retention and Sponsorship for that matter.

since77

Juniors
When your best junior halfback prospect in many a year is released and signs on with the worst run club in the NRL because he can't get a fair crack at playing his preferred position in first grade then I'm pretty sure thats a sign that the pathway to first grade here has been growing over with weeds for well over a decade. Why the heck would anyone have wanted to attempt to come up through our junior system over the last 10 years or so when the club preferred to sign and select players of retirement age over and over and over again........

kit66

Bench
When your best junior halfback prospect in many a year is released and signs on with the worst run club in the NRL because he can't get a fair crack at playing his preferred position in first grade then I'm pretty sure thats a sign that the pathway to first grade here has been growing over with weeds for well over a decade. Why the heck would anyone have wanted to attempt to come up through our junior system over the last 10 years or so when the club preferred to sign and select players of retirement age over and over and over again........

I remember a time when I had hopes of one day seeing a spine of 1. Ramsey/Sloan, 6. Amone, 7. Sullivan, 9. Hunt and the Dragons playing finals again. I also remember other clubs, including Bennett, chasing Bud and Amone and hearing that those two were given assurances about playing top grade and convinced to stick with us.
Right now I can't think of a single positive heading into 2024.

I hope Bud has a great year at the Tiges and hopefully stays fit.