What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

Iamback

Coach
Tigers probably offering him $400k more for this season alone. I'd be down with COVID for a month if I was Luai.

Agree with @Munky, Ivans comments were short-sighted and missed the mark regardless of his intentions.

The issue isn't whether the comments were bad.

The question is what changed since he came back?

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ve said it before, I love Ivan but that was super unprofessional.
I’ve read the transcript of exactly what Ivan said on more than one occasion. Many more.

It really isn’t that bad. He was asked the question, he gave an honest answer, more just pointing out the obvious, which many on here and in the media acknowledge as being basically a fact.

He simply pointed out Jerome other than with Samoa hasn’t been required to fulfil a central playmaking role and given the money involved there would be risks.

Should he not have answered the question, or given a politically correct non answer.

When pressed on whether Jerome could be a central playmaker his response was “I’m sure he could.”

Is $1M or more for Jerome across five seasons to be your central playmaker a ‘risk’. Absolutely.

If Nathan Cleary signed with the Roosters tomorrow, would you be comfortable giving Jerome a five year deal to take over as our central playmaker on the same money.

Ivan is refreshing in the coaching ranks for his press conferences, his honesty and I don’t see his response was anywhere near as bad or unprofessional as few make out.

MugaB

Coach
I’ve read the transcript of exactly what Ivan said on more than one occasion. Many more.

It really isn’t that bad. He was asked the question, he gave an honest answer, more just pointing out the obvious, which many on here and in the media acknowledge as being basically a fact.

He simply pointed out Jerome other than with Samoa hasn’t been required to fulfil a central playmaking role and given the money involved there would be risks.

Should he not have answered the question, or given a politically correct non answer.

When pressed on whether Jerome could be a central playmaker his response was “I’m sure he could.”

Is $1M or more for Jerome across five seasons to be your central playmaker a ‘risk’. Absolutely.

If Nathan Cleary signed with the Roosters tomorrow, would you be comfortable giving Jerome a five year deal to take over as our central playmaker on the same money.

Ivan is refreshing in the coaching ranks for his press conferences, his honesty and I don’t see his response was anywhere near as bad or unprofessional as few make out.
Everyone interpretates Ivans comments the way they want to hear it especially those from WT, i cannot believe the shit theyve come up with, its gone from a nothing comment to "well, if he wasn't playing along my son, he'd be nothing"

“Is he ready for that? That’s a question mark I would think,” Cleary said.

“Can he do it? I’m sure he could do it. Has he done it? He hasn’t really. In this team he has his role to play. That’s a risk everyone would have to take.”

^ This is exactly what Ivan said verbatim, according to the reports. Breaking it down, it isn’t as frosty as people believe.

“Is he ready for that? That’s a question mark I would think,” Cleary said.

“Can he do it? I’m sure he could do it. Has he done it? He hasn’t really. In this team he has his role to play. That’s a risk everyone would have to take.”

^ This is exactly what Ivan said verbatim, according to the reports. Breaking it down, it isn’t as frosty as people believe.
My point is it isn’t frosty or personal attack; in other parts of the same interview he talks about how important Jarome is/affection etc.

But ultimately Jarome was in the market negotiating contracts and having your current employer in that context publically questioning your worth is unprofessional.

He shouldn’t have answered the questions. There are plenty of times when Cleary lets a question go, and he should have in this occasion.

Do I think it will cause a big issue; no. It seems like it hasn’t impacted Luai’s contract (which it really shouldn’t; in fact, given how twisted the Tiger’s are about Cleary it might have actually pushed his value up) but that doesn’t mean that Ivan should have done it.

Everyone interpretates Ivans comments the way they want to hear it especially those from WT, i cannot believe the shit theyve come up with, its gone from a nothing comment to "well, if he wasn't playing along my son, he'd be nothing"
And Luai himself. Imo he misinterpreted them.

MugaB

Coach
Do I think it will cause a big issue; no. It seems like it hasn’t impacted Luai’s contract (which it really shouldn’t; in fact, given how twisted the Tiger’s are about Cleary it might have actually pushed his value up) but that doesn’t mean that Ivan should have done it.
I think this is EXACTLY why he said it, he didn't have to, and it did push his value up, the tigers wanted him more after those comments, so much so they ended up tabling a massive offer some weeks later..
Ivan still hates on the tigers, you'd think he'd be over it, but we all saw his pisstake on WT beating us in Bathurst at the Merv C Medal night, he wasn’t just dirty, he was filthy..
The fact Romy replied with his "know your worth" social media jab, from the outside you'd think wow is this how they treat each other, but it was more like a pisstake, basically laughing at both the media and WT, ...hook, line, sinker

Last edited:
Absolute bullshịt, jerome isn't dumb, those looking for drama generally find it
Jerome is one of the biggest sledgers on the football field, as well not backward in coming forward on social media.
And now the thick skinned Jerome gets a poke in the ribs, all of a sudden the skin turns to gladwrap.
"Live by the Sword" Jerome.

Fangs

Coach
If Ivan had his time over he wouldn't have said it. He is still learning.

If Fletcher had his time over he would have said it and more. He can't help himself.

I think this is EXACTLY why he said it, he didn't have to, and it did push his value up, the tigers wanted him more after those comments, so much so they ended up tabling a massive offer some weeks later..
Ivan still hates on the tigers, you'd think he'd be over it, but we all saw his pisstake on WT beating us in Bathurst at the Merv C Medal night, he wasn’t just dirty, he was filthy..
The fact Romy replied with his "know your worth" social media jab, from the outside you'd think wow is this how they treat each other, but it was more like a pisstake, basically laughing at both the media and WT, ...hook, line, sinker
Ok, you convinced me, I'm wrong.

Pomoz

Bench
I am hearing a bit of cold feet .While the money is to good to turn down he still is torn
Of course, he grew up with the team. They are a brotherhood.

He will have 1m more after tax after five years. One more house and quite possibly a horrible five years of turmoil. Take the three year deal and go to the market then. Not as much money, but still a wonderful living doing what you love.

Latest posts