What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Wizardman

First Grade
Could you blame them though if that is the case? Imagine bringing him back for that game and something happens and he punches Ezra. There would probably be cries of hate crime.
Could not agree more and fully agree for taking the draw into consideration if they did. In no way would I rely on a Leniu showing some restraint coming off a long suspension.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Roosters club statement

Spencer Leniu has tonight been handed an eight-game suspension following his Contrary Conduct charge at the NRL Judiciary.

Leniu entered a plea of guilty last Thursday afternoon after being referred to the NRL judiciary following an incident that occurred in the 69th minute of the Roosters' Round 1 match against the Brisbane Broncos.

As a result, Leniu will be unavailable until Round 10.

"On behalf of Spencer and the Sydney Roosters we apologise unreservedly to Ezra and his family for the hurt that has been caused and we extend this apology to the wider Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community," said Roosters CEO Joe Kelly.

"Inclusivity and diversity are key and fundamental values of the Sydney Roosters and we respect equally all backgrounds and cultures and will not tolerate any form of racism.

"We accept the suspension to Spencer of eight weeks and would like to thank our legal counsel James McLeod for representing the Club.

"I would also like to acknowledge Spencer for the character he has shown over the past week. He was totally honest from the outset and wanted to own this immediately. In no way did he mean to direct the term to Ezra in a racial way.

"Spencer has learnt a great deal from the past week and we will ensure that we continue to support him in any way we can and increase his education about the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Cultures.

"We will also be supporting all of our Indigenous players at the Club, and across the board, all staff and players will undergo further education of these cultures as well as the Pacifika culture," he added.

kurt faulk

Coach

Haha, classic. The AFL must love the inroads it has made into the Sydney market.

It also stated Leniu, who is being represented by prominent barrister James McLeod, would have been aware of the racial vilification Swans great Adam Goodes endured during his career, which included a high-profile incident of being called an “ape” .

Leniu denied both assertions and remarkably even stated he doesn’t know who Goodes is, according to NCA Newswire reporting from the hearing, despite living in Sydney for most of his life.

Wizardman

First Grade

Haha, classic. The AFL must love the inroads it has made into the Sydney market.

It also stated Leniu, who is being represented by prominent barrister James McLeod, would have been aware of the racial vilification Swans great Adam Goodes endured during his career, which included a high-profile incident of being called an “ape” .

Leniu denied both assertions and remarkably even stated he doesn’t know who Goodes is, according to NCA Newswire reporting from the hearing, despite living in Sydney for most of his life.
There are some genuinely very sheltered people out there that don't know much outside the small bubble they choose to live in. I tend to believe the Adam Goodes part but Im struggling to believe that he did not know that the "monkey" word is a racist term. Evern if we are to believe him in that he didn't know, today's punishment is an important part in "bursting" his bubble and learning a few hard truths.

blue bags

First Grade
Get real. It's all make believe dribble
So this full professional barrister blurting out direa from his mouth aswell LoL 😂
He is delusional living in a cave to think modern day people would believe that garbage 🤣

Apey

Staff member
There are some genuinely very sheltered people out there that don't know much outside the small bubble they choose to live in. I tend to believe the Adam Goodes part but Im struggling to believe that he did not know that the "monkey" word is a racist term. Evern if we are to believe him in that he didn't know, today's punishment is an important part in "bursting" his bubble and learning a few hard truths.
I dunno, I completely support Leniu getting a lengthy ban but on top of the evidence we already had, after reading his statements during the hearing, I think he may just be incredibly stupid. Like inconceivably stupid. Beyond average rugba leeg stupid.

Wizardman

First Grade
Get real. It's all make believe dribble
So this full professional barrister blurting out direa from his mouth aswell LoL 😂
He is delusional living in a cave to think modern day people would believe that garbage 🤣
When I was in my 20's, I really didn't have an accurate perspective of how stupid people can really be. There are lots of people out there who do not consume news in any shape or form unless it is from some shit source on social media that they choose to believe. Given his background, I really believe that he had not heard of Adam Goodes.

On the other hand, life experience would have simply been obvious enough for him to know that calling a dark-skinned person a "monkey" is not the right thing to do. He used it in a racial way and fully deserves his punishment.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
I dunno, I completely support Leniu getting a lengthy ban but on top of the evidence we already had, after reading his statements during the hearing, I think he may just be incredibly stupid. Like inconceivably stupid. Beyond average rugba leeg stupid.
With him, I absolutely believe he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But, surely even he would know that if he called an indigenous man a monkey in the street that it would cause an unpleasant reaction. Hopefully, he learnt something if he is to be fully believed.

blue bags

First Grade
The barrister has trained him what to say
It's all Barrister talk
Coming in at an angle
Then twisting it into a believable story
Using other twisting angles
That's what they do for a living

skeepe

Immortal
"I would also like to acknowledge Spencer for the character he has shown over the past week. He was totally honest from the outset and wanted to own this immediately. In no way did he mean to direct the term to Ezra in a racial way.
This right here is exactly why everyone with a brain thinks the Roosters have handled this terribly.

He was NOT honest from the outset. He did NOT want to own it immediately, he said it was fun and games and called Mam out again in post match interviews and later at the hotel.

The Roosters are trying to gaslight the country with their rubbish. Don’t let them.

Honestly what a disgrace of a club.

blue bags

First Grade
This right here is exactly why everyone with a brain thinks the Roosters have handled this terribly.

He was NOT honest from the outset. He did NOT want to own it immediately, he said it was fun and games and called Mam out again in post match interviews and later at the hotel.

The Roosters are trying to gaslight the country with their rubbish. Don’t let them.

Honestly what a disgrace of a club.
The trainers on the field should have told him to shut up. Don't say another word. Obviously not coached. Managed properly
Then he was speaking to the media after the game. And then carrying on like an idiot in the hotel
Totally fully mismanaged by the coaching staff. The trainer's. Players management. All Under the watch by the Rooster's club
This is a wake up Call . For all club's how not to manage things when it gets out of hand. Control
The old saying. Shut the f up now. Get out of our sight . We will deal with this when the dust settles

blaza88z

Coach
The thing I have found the most amusing about all of this is the idea from the fans (mainly Roosters' supporters) that a person of colour cannot be judged as being racist based on the fact they are of colour themselves.

I didn't expect too much on social media but this is a new highlight for me.

Wizardman

First Grade
The thing I have found the most amusing about all of this is the idea from the fans (mainly Roosters' supporters) that a person of colour cannot be judged as being racist based on the fact they are of colour themselves.

I didn't expect too much on social media but this is a new highlight for me.
It has been a hell of a week on social media seeing how ignorant people are about race issues.

Chimp

Bench
The chimp is smarter than you also. So there's that
I agree with this wholeheartedly…. I’d even go as far as saying the Chimp is smarter than 99.6% of LU users. (The remaining 0.4% is my old account that I got locked out of many years ago)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It’s 8 to make sure he misses it
Good. 'I want to see Ezra in Brisbane' is the headline on nrl.com, like anyone gives a f**k what Spencer wants. You call someone a monkey, you lose the right to call the shots on what happens. Mam said f**k off last week, and fair enough.

I wish clubs would grow a pair and accept 100% responsibility. The Roosters saying Leniu didn't mean to put down Ezra in a racial-based way, is such blame-absolving BS and insulting to anyone with any common sense. Zero chance he calls a white player a monkey. Then they say he put his hand up and wanted to own this immediately - no he didn't, he said it was fun and games and banter, and that he wanted to square up with Mam after the game. Not to apologise.