What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Brian potter

Bench
He got the first step right at least. Bulldoze Accor, then rebuild the f**ker to a 75k+ world class rectangular stadium that Sydney should have always had after the Olympics.

40k Newcastle, 30k Liverpool, 25k Wollongong & 20k Brookvale upgrades would be fair compromise though.
Would Liverpool be home to the tigers and bulldogs?

shewi6

Juniors
He got the first step right at least. Bulldoze Accor, then rebuild the f**ker to a 75k+ world class rectangular stadium that Sydney should have always had after the Olympics.

40k Newcastle, 30k Liverpool, 25k Wollongong & 20k Brookvale upgrades would be fair compromise though.
What would pirate pete think of it though?
Funny how a media campaign stopped us getting a rectangular homebush in the first place and now the media is all for spending money on small suburban stadiums where the financial returns for the state will be less.

End of the day the olympic stadium is getting older and not fit for its purpose that being home to the rectangular codes, so it will need that big investment soon enough. Any upgrades to suburban grounds are welcome but should not stop clubs from developing big event games at accor and allianz.

jim_57

Staff member
Would Liverpool be home to the tigers and bulldogs?

If it happens that should be the plan.

Bulldogs want to develop a precinct on land they own there featuring a 45k stadium. Tigers last year floated the idea of the government buying that land and building a 20k stadium for them there instead. V’landys floated the idea 2-3 years back as a home for them both.

Seems all parties acknowledge it’s a good option.

Brian potter

Bench

Bulldogs want to develop a precinct on land they own there featuring a 45k stadium. Tigers last year floated the idea of the government buying that land and building a 20k stadium for them there instead. V’landys floated the idea 2-3 years back as a home for them both.

Isn’t their an A-league side in Western Sydney that could also share the stadium making an even better case for government funding?

Bukowski

Juniors

45k too big, 20k too small. Great idea though

jim_57

Staff member
45k too big, 20k too small. Great idea though

Depends, as Allianz is showing a half filled good stadium still provides a great atmosphere. I say fair play to them if that’s their ambition, realistically you’d imagine that will come down to 30-40k. 20k
Is definitely too small.

Latest I could find, Liverpool council rejected it, Bulldogs have gone over their head. See what happens.

Wb1234

Referee
Depends, as Allianz is showing a half filled good stadium still provides a great atmosphere. I say fair play to them if that’s their ambition, realistically you’d imagine that will come down to 30-40k. 20k
Is definitely too small.

Latest I could find, Liverpool council rejected it, Bulldogs have gone over their head. See what happens.
It’s with the state planning body

loads of big projects go there to bypass councils

they want the land rezoned with higher density which councils can’t really do

councils objection is commercial not being in the city centre

Bukowski

Juniors
Is definitely too small.

Latest I could find, Liverpool council rejected it, Bulldogs have gone over their head. See what happens
30k perfect . Commbank is fantastic

jim_57

Staff member
What would pirate pete think of it though?
Funny how a media campaign stopped us getting a rectangular homebush in the first place and now the media is all for spending money on small suburban stadiums where the financial returns for the state will be less.

End of the day the olympic stadium is getting older and not fit for its purpose that being home to the rectangular codes, so it will need that big investment soon enough. Any upgrades to suburban grounds are welcome but should not stop clubs from developing big event games at accor and allianz.

Accor could be done be done by now if all had gone to the original plan. Could have had a 75k seat world class stadium with at least a couple of regular tenants getting huge events and the Grand Final locked in for ages.

The longer it goes now the more likely they are to lose tenants that may never come back full time if/when Accor is ever rebuilt. Rabbitohs going to Allianz eventually and Bulldogs going for their own stadium.

T-Boon

Coach
It’d be hilarious if souths are left as the only club playing at the western suburbs stadium Australia. All the western teams (and city teams) in purpose built rectangle stadia.

shewi6

Juniors
Accor could be done be done by now if all had gone to the original plan. Could have had a 75k seat world class stadium with at least a couple of regular tenants getting huge events and the Grand Final locked in for ages.

The longer it goes now the more likely they are to lose tenants that may never come back full time if/when Accor is ever rebuilt. Rabbitohs going to Allianz eventually and Bulldogs going for their own stadium.
That 70k concept they had a couple years ago was perfect and I was so disappointed when politics stopped it from happening. A little small for origins and the GF but was a good option givdn the constraints of building within the shell of the original stadium. Was costed at only 700M too...

Hopefully a full 75 to 80k rebuild will happen a little further in the future.

Attachments

• images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23

flippikat

Bench
Meanwhile in Auckland, a council "working group" is considering 4 options for a stadium (one of them being a re-development of Eden Park).

Preferred option to be identified around the end of April.

ash the bash

Juniors
Accor needs to stay but not in its current state.

Sydney needs to have the premier rectangular stadium in Oz. Basically the 800 mil upgrade that was planned before the SCG trust screwed it.

75,000 capacity.
45,000 Club mode capacity.

It needs to happen, its substandard as it is and is not deserving for a place like Sydney, home of RL.

If its not touched, hopefully Dogs get the go ahead for Liverpool and Souths move back to SFS and let Accor rot.

Sydney needs to have the premier rectangular stadium in Oz. Basically the 800 mil upgrade that was planned before the SCG trust screwed it.

75,000 capacity.

It needs to happen, its substandard as it is and is not deserving for a place like Sydney, home of RL.

If its not touched, hopefully Dogs get the go ahead for Liverpool and Souths move back to SFS and let Accor rot.
If Accor is redeveloped the way you stated, where would you prefer Souths to call home? I ask because the club put out a members’ survey that stated a preference to stay at Accor which I found puzzling. Given the middle class are getting squeezed out of the realestate market in the east, i guess there’s some logic to it but there would still be a large number in heartland. If that’s the case, I wonder if Souths are better off hosting Penrith, Parra, Tigers, Bulldogs at Accor and Saints, Easts, Sharks and Manly at Allianz. This if Accor is fixed up otherwise return to Moore Park.

Wb1234

Referee
If Accor is redeveloped the way you stated, where would you prefer Souths to call home? I ask because the club put out a members’ survey that stated a preference to stay at Accor which I found puzzling. Given the middle class are getting squeezed out of the realestate market in the east, i guess there’s some logic to it but there would still be a large number in heartland. If that’s the case, I wonder if Souths are better off hosting Penrith, Parra, Tigers, Bulldogs at Accor and Saints, Easts, Sharks and Manly at Allianz. This if Accor is fixed up otherwise return to Moore Park.
Accor was good for south’s when they guaranteed them 100k a game whilst the sfs was charging them much higher rent than the roosters

They wanted to move to allianz but solly signed a 3 year lease and the govt wouldn’t allow them to break it

Wb1234

Referee

75,000 capacity.

If it’s not touched, hopefully Dogs get the go ahead for Liverpool and Souths move back to SFS and let Accor rot.
More like 1.5 billion

Diesel

Referee
Ultimately Sydney needs a large stadium to attract big events. The problem is Accor just isn’t fit for purpose.
How venues NSW, or whoever it was, allowed the afl to come in and keep the stadium in the configuration it is in, and only used a handful of games is disgusting. The afl lined the pockets of someone in a NRL heartland, or it was. QLD’s upgrading Suncorp

Latest posts