What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd 3-Mobile Test @ Adelaide Oval:: Nov 28-Dec 2 :: Australia won by Inns and 62 runs

Second Test result :: Australia vs New Zealand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheParraboy

Staff member
I wonder how much of it is mental

what (or who) motivates these guys to play cricket ?

they can all hold a bat and play shots, but seem to lack the concentration to occupy the crease for long periods of time

surely this is Bracey's job to get inside their head

They dont play regular test cricket
They have spent 2 days in the field
265 behind,
There is no one in the top order who is experienced in test cricket

Not that easy to make a side like that click all of a sudden, otherwise they would post 400 all the time

wittyfan

Referee
The decision to leave out Cumming has been fatal!

And How was in magical touch against NSW, where has that form gone???

edabomb

First Grade
Beyond frustrating - complete and utter lack of discipline, intelligence and application. They keep coming out with the BS about being talented and needing time - buit to be honest, how does the (very) occasional innings and the odd flashy shot equal talent.

If I was a selector - Bye bye Redmond and Ryder, one more series for How and Fulton, and an incredibly stern talk with Ross Taylor.

Any of Bell or MacIntosh to open, and the likes of Todd, Broom, Hay, or even Ingram in the middle order

I reckon get Bell back in, at least he generally takes some of the shine off the ball. Unqualified on the rest as I gave up following the domestic scene some time ago.

Redmond should go. The problem with Bracewell is that if a player is popular with the public he'll happily drop them after a couple of poor performances. But if a player is one of his and chosen out of the blue like Redmond was he'll persist until he can claim he was right all along.

Ryder needs to be given a shot at 5 or 6, too much natural talent to be cast aside so soon. Agree How and Fulton should get another series as they're technically quite good. Flynn is the interesting one for me, clearly not a 6. Give him a shot at 3, his confidence seems to be back against the quicks after his knock in England.

JJ

Immortal
Surely we've moved past Bell by now.

Obviously not - clearly he's the best opener in the country and deserves an extended shot at it IMO

The excuse about not enough tests doesn't wash this year, but the batting lineup is incredibly inexperienced - at least that is a legitimate excuse. I just don't believe they're terribly talented either

Bigfella

Coach
I think it's more than just metal TBH. ICL has ripped the guts out of a team that probably didn't have the greatest depth in the world anyway.

Without wanting to be insulting, Lee and Johnson batting at 9 and 10 yesterday looked like either of them could have slotted in to the Kiwi's top 6. Not necessarily at 6 either.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The excuse about not enough tests doesn't wash this year, but the batting lineup is incredibly inexperienced - at least that is a legitimate excuse. I just don't believe they're terribly talented either

You wouldnt think these blokes would be terribly talented at test level after 5-10 tests either

Hayden
Langer
Punter
Katich
Roy
Martyn
S Waugh
etc...

All were dropped cause they couldnt handle test cricket, katich aside possibly

JJ

Immortal
You wouldnt think these blokes would be terribly talented at test level after 5-10 tests either

Hayden
Langer
Punter
Katich
Roy
Martyn
S Waugh
etc...

All were dropped cause they couldnt handle test cricket

No, but our problem is we don't have anyone to replace our inept lot with - there are a few capable players in our first class scene, but Bell apart nobody screaming for a chance. As someone said above, the ICL and I think Bracewell have been responsibly for decimating our lineup.

But, in reality, I think they all could have shown a lot more intelligence and discipline, 90% of our dismissals were self-induced, onloy a few through good Australian bowling. I constantly hear about how talent the likes of Ryder is - but, while he might be talented, he's also clearly very ill-disciplined, as evidenced by his batting, his drinking, and the shape he's in!

African Monkey

First Grade
Obviously not - clearly he's the best opener in the country and deserves an extended shot at it IMO

We'll agree to disagree on Bell.

I say keep this same lineup for the WI series with Oram coming in for Fulton before we make any changes to the lineup.

TheParraboy

Staff member
wtf was punter doing after johnson got the wicket?

trying to get a blowie from him? :?

f**k it looked so gay

edabomb

First Grade
I think it's more than just metal TBH. ICL has ripped the guts out of a team that probably didn't have the greatest depth in the world anyway.

Without wanting to be insulting, Lee and Johnson batting at 9 and 10 yesterday looked like either of them could have slotted in to the Kiwi's top 6. Not necessarily at 6 either.

I reckon blaming ICL is a cop out. All our players were coming into retirement age and we didn't make any plans for this. Of the ICL bunch probably McMillan (ODIs only), Bond (ODIs only) and Vincent (in and out of ODI and tests) would be in there, the rest are past it.

JJ

Immortal
I reckon blaming ICL is a cop out. All our players were coming into retirement age and we didn't make any plans for this. Of the ICL bunch probably McMillan (ODIs only), Bond (ODIs only) and Vincent (in and out of ODI and tests) would be in there, the rest are past it.

Not so sure

Bond would be in both teams, whenever he's fit. Wouldn't touch Vincent with a barge pole

McMillan's test record is pretty solid, I'd have him in both, and of course I think with better management Fleming would still be our test captain and Nathan Astle could still be in the middle order.

But as you said, they're aging, but at least guys like Taylor and Flynn would have some experience around them.,

Obviously a fit Bond transforms any team he's in

JoeD

First Grade

Hayden
Langer
Punter
Katich
Roy
Martyn
S Waugh
etc...

All were dropped cause they couldnt handle test cricket, katich aside possibly

all of those guys would have had millions of first class runs to even get a look whereas our current guys don't

Bazal

Post Whore
We'll agree to disagree on Bell.

I say keep this same lineup for the WI series with Oram coming in for Fulton before we make any changes to the lineup.

Bell has been the best Test opener I've seen in a NZ side for a while. That might not be saying much, sure, but you have to have him in there. Redmond is clearly useless. Now, I don't follow the NZ domestic scene obviously, so there may be some better options out there, but IMO this order would suit NZ better

1-How (ideally a 3 from what I've seen, but I don't know any other options)
2-Bell
3-Taylor (Ryder is not up to it at 3 IMO, Taylor while immature would be a better option I think)
4-Fulton/Flynn (at least Flynn has shown the ability to dig in)
5-Ryder
6-Oram (obviously injured for this series, which hasn't helped)
7-McCullum
etc

Another opener would allow How to bat 3, push Taylor down and leave Ryder, Fulton and Flynn to fight it our for the number 5 spot but as I said I don't know any of the domestic players. And tbh, I think NZ need to blood some players, get their best players (How, Oram, Taylor, McCullum etc) in their best spots and then build the best side they can around that.

edabomb

First Grade
Not so sure

Bond would be in both teams, whenever he's fit. Wouldn't touch Vincent with a barge pole

McMillan's test record is pretty solid, I'd have him in both, and of course I think with better management Fleming would still be our test captain and Nathan Astle could still be in the middle order.

But as you said, they're aging, but at least guys like Taylor and Flynn would have some experience around them.,

Obviously a fit Bond transforms any team he's in

Yea I'm just assuming Bond would of retired from tests as most of our better players do before their time.

I agree on better management McMillan and Fleming would still be there but that was a factor under our own control so can't really blame that. I reckon Astle would of bowed out after the WC no matter what.