What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harrogan punted By Channel 9,Daley returns to Fox

yakstorm

First Grade
It has now been confirmed:

Paul Harragon quits Footy Show on Nine TV Network
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,20797,24875545-5003409,00.html?from=public_rss

RADICAL formatting changes and a makeover of Channel 9's ailing NRL Footy Show have forced key panellist Paul "The Chief" Harragon to quit.

After 14 years causing havoc and talking all things rugby league alongside the programs ring-leader Paul Vautin, Harragon says a revamp of the program has given him little choice but to move on.

"The Footy Show, like any business is undergoing big changes for its future success," the former Newcastle premiership winning captain said today.

"I was very pleased to be offered a role as a part of that future, however after some careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that the time is right for me to move on."

The Footy Show suffered its worst ratings slump on record last year and despite calls for its axing, Nine boss David Gyngell promised the program would be back in 2009.

While it's not yet known what changes will be made to the program, Nine's director of event television Gary Burns said Harragon's lively personality and humour would be missed.

"While Paul's decision is understandable it is still sad," Burns said.

"He was one of the prime-time originals and is much loved by not only the audience but his fellow hosts and all of the production staff.

"We will all miss him. Weekly production meetings aren't going to be as much fun without the Chief."

The Footy Show will return to Nine in the lead-up to the start of the NRL season in March.

The quiz fufilled the majority of my interest in 2008, when I was there Paul just never addressed himself, whereas Matt, Fatty and Laurie always chatted.

I like your list Roopy, not bad.

2009 is the last chance, and really the last chance they'll get.

El Diablo

Post Whore
"He was one of the prime-time originals and is much loved by not only the audience but his fellow hosts and all of the production staff.

:lol:

he's a f**king gumby

the bonehead won't be missed

El Diablo

Post Whore
in typical news ltd fashion they have allowed comments on this article. it seems as though they have only allowed comments from mainly fumbleball fans

Kent of the GC. You're an idiot. Firstly it's thugby - and that refers to rugby union not rugby league. Secondly, league is a simpler (rules) version of the two codes. I'll give you points for the bogans comment as league has millions of them, but finally, your comment about paraplegics is wrong. Both codes have done immense work to stamp out dangerous play and also protect players - both juniors coming through and the existing NRL players. Get your facts straight mate.

Posted by: mp of Brisbane 8:39pm today
Comment 19 of 19
who cares? its a medieval game. move on guys.

Posted by: lez 8:38pm today
Comment 18 of 19
Sydney have to wake up and realise AFL is not just Victorian. Its been played nationally for a very long time in every state way before the national competition began but you would only notice that if you pulled your heads out for air sometime. Rugby League should be sent back to Leeds where it belongs and not before time ...

Posted by: Jack of Brisbane 8:25pm today
Comment 17 of 19
NRL is in trouble and so is any grand scale specticle sport in Sydney. It's no secret the people in Sydney rarely take the time to support sport. Examine the attendance figures of any sport venue compared the Melbourne, and then per capita on the other states. For this reason NRL will struggle. Sydney has a lack of Australian pride.

Posted by: Brett of Melbourne 8:24pm today
Comment 16 of 19
NRL is dead. It used to about blokes playing footy. Now look at it.

Posted by: Me 8:17pm today
Comment 15 of 19
To Kent Bayley on the Gold Coast::: Kent, you are an ill-informed little bloke aren't you. Because you can't understand a few SIMPLE rules doesn't make it a bad game. Oh, and i think you meant thug B y aswell. Thats what the blokes call it who can't handle the hits. Check your spelling before you submit your crap. END OF STORY!

Posted by: Tim of WA 8:15pm today
Comment 14 of 19
People, there are so many other sports that far surpass thugy so who cares. The only thing the game can claim with any certainty is that there are too many rules, too many bogans and too many paraplegics. End of issue.

Posted by: Kent Bayley of Gold Coast 7:57pm today
Comment 13 of 19
After growing up in a league town as a die hard knights fan i thought i'd never say this but rugby league is in trouble, big time. The AFL has got all the right ideas to promote its game and the past few years has seen the AFL easily eclipse rugby league in my opinion. There is a lot of work to be done by the NRL to make up the lost ground, i sincerely hope its not too late.

Posted by: Sarah McGregor of Newcastle 7:56pm today
Comment 12 of 19
Sydney will always have League and die-hard fans will always be here. It is as much a part of Sydney as the Harbour Bridge. Dream on nay-sayers who are calling the end of Rugby League. I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to see its demise, move to Melbourne and watch the drongos play fairy ball!

Posted by: Peter of Sydney 7:49pm today
Comment 11 of 19
Thats not Gold

Posted by: Kenny of Newcastle 7:47pm today
Comment 10 of 19
Sadly our Rugby League will be nothing on AFL in 10 years time. I was in Melbourne in 07 for 4 months and the vibe, the passion of the game is killing League. I used to hate aerial ping pong but once u understand the game it is 10 times more exciting. I am a traditionalist and hate to see rules being changed but we really need to change the game to put those pesky Victorians back in their box. Please fix our dying game before it is too late!

Posted by: DrDave of Sydney 7:46pm today
Comment 9 of 19
He hasn't been there from the start... I stopped watching when he joined up...... maybe I'll try the show again... sorry Paul, I need something a little more 'high brow'.

Posted by: Clinton of brisbane 7:34pm today
Comment 8 of 19
Good news, in my opinion he provided very little to the show.

Posted by: Jason 7:31pm today
Comment 7 of 19
Bigmaxy of Sydney - The AFL Footy Show is all about those morons paying each other out about anything they can muster, it hardly qualifies as a "show", more like an AFL gossip-fest.

Posted by: Joe of Sydney 7:27pm today
Comment 6 of 19
i agree with bigmaxy. league is dead.

Posted by: David of sylvania 7:23pm today
Comment 5 of 19
Yep, rugby league has had it day, and i'm a die hard Knights supporter.. 5-10 years and it will be history.

Posted by: john of Gold Coast 7:21pm today
Comment 4 of 19
good luck with your future chief .now there is room for another queenslander to add a bit of ballance to the show.

Posted by: pete 7:17pm today
Comment 3 of 19
Paul Harrogan was the most boring member of the footy show team. His refusal to ever go out on al limb and provide his opinion, if he even had one, made me cringe. Pack 'em Chief. Maybe he will be replaced someone with a personality like Matty Johns.

Posted by: Moby of canberra 7:17pm today
Comment 2 of 19
League is dying, therefore it makes sense that the Footy Show is dying. I spent a few months in Melbourne last winter. Their show is miles better. And I hate AFL.

Posted by: Bigmaxy of Sydney 7:02pm today

alexc

I enjoy the sunday version and the roast as its something interesting to watch leading up to the games. Please to god don't put the sunday guys on the thursday show you already get enough repeated appearances and opinions.

Put ikin and matt johns on the thursday show and ban them from the commentary. bring fatty back to the commentary. The thursday show is a big dud, let it be hosted by duds.

Game_Breaker

Coach
while It's Not Yet Known What Changes Will Be Made To The Program, Nine's Director Of Event Television Gary Burns said Harragon's Lively Personality And Humour Would Be Missed.

Wtf :lol:

Whoever this Gary Burns is, sign him up. He must have a sense of humour to say that

KHunt

Juniors
please dont put Ikin on the thursday night show, hes a gimp and not funny at all. bring in danny nutley :lol:

MsStorm

Bench
WTF Chief definatly yes Matthew Johns cares more about the Storm then he does Newcastle all he ever does is talk about Slater and Inglis and what a great coach Bellamy is

Johns is employed by the Storm, so what the heck, at least we are getting some publicity on the show, which by the way, the show should be concentrating on all nrl teams.

MsStorm

Bench
in typical news ltd fashion they have allowed comments on this article. it seems as though they have only allowed comments from mainly fumbleball fans

That paper is the absolute pits.

Another things that really cheeses me off, is many fans in Sydney always saying the game is dying...what's going on?

Why can't people be sending out positive stuff about rugby league,:x

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
Havent watched a episode or more then 5minutes of this sh*t for a show in over 3 years , when the new blood comes in , ill consider it.

Choppies

Coach

I laughed too.
According to the gumbies on news.com.au league is dying because a dope like Chief is leaving a show that needs an overhaul. :crazy:

El Diablo

Post Whore
That paper is the absolute pits.

Another things that really cheeses me off, is many fans in Sydney always saying the game is dying...what's going on?

Why can't people be sending out positive stuff about rugby league,:x

who said they're from Sydney?

i tried to leave a comment about Harrogan actually leaving but news ltd never put it up. they just seem to want league bagging comments left

a few people have mentioned that their comments never get posted on NRL articles yet news ltd put AFL ones up that have nothing to do with the topic

anyone who thinks news ltd don't have an agenda is kidding themselves

if Sonny Fai had accidentally dropped a brick on his toe and swore it would on the news.com.au home page

the poor guy is missing presumed dead and he is deemed not newsworthy

it just shows you what heartless scumbags news ltd are.

drake

First Grade

i tried to leave a comment about Harrogan actually leaving but news ltd never put it up. they just seem to want league bagging comments left

a few people have mentioned that their comments never get posted on NRL articles yet news ltd put AFL ones up that have nothing to do with the topic

if Sonny Fai had accidentally dropped a brick on his toe and swore it would on the news.com.au home page

f**k News ltd. The sooner they, and their science project down mexico way, are gone from league, the better

j5o6hn

Juniors
(No he must stay on the Continuos call team 12 to 5 on Saturdays is one of the best parts of footy season)I rate that bunch on the same level as the footy show.
They should sack the lot get some one with a brain(not a right wing ranter)and get people who can talk about RL in a manner that does not make you think it is a show for morons done by morons

adamkungl

Immortal

I truly hope one of the city sides down in Victoriania die in the next couple of years (Nth Melboring are struggling aren't they?), and no Sydney NRL side does. That will leave Storm to pick up the (admittedly geniused) scraps. Then we'll see who's code is dying. Wankers.

Latest posts