What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia's Big Bash - Victorian Bushfire Appeal Match: Sun 22 Feb @ SCG

TheParraboy

Staff member
Melbourne: Test greats Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor and Glenn McGrath will feature in a charity Twenty20 cricket match to raise funds for Victorian bushfire sufferers.

Current Australian players David Warner, Nathan Bracken, Moises Henriques, women cricketers Lisa Sthelaker and Ellyse Perry, and former Test star Michael Slater will also feature in the game, to be called Australia's Big Bash, at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) on February 22.

Federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett, boxer Anthony Mundine, National Rugby League players Braith Anasta and Anthony Minichiello of Sydney Roosters, Phil Waugh and Lote Tuqiri of Waratahs, Barry Hall of Sydney Swans and former world surfing champion Mick Fanning will play in the match.

Organisers hope the match will raise USD 500,000 for the Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal, with the SCG staff donating their services.

Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert said Waugh and Taylor immediately agreed to play the match.

"They said yes straight away. Once again, they are leading the way, just as they did in their playing days, and the response from players, past and present, plus the personalities has been fantastic," Gilbert said in a statement.

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/waugh-mcgrath-to-play-charity-match/38308-13.html

I might try and go and see this, since its for a worthy cause

A couple of women cricketers in the mix too

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Former Australian captains Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor will lead the teams in a celebrity Twenty20 cricket match to raise funds for the Victorian bushfire appeal.
The game - Australia's Big Bash - will be played next Sunday at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG).
It is also set to feature federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett, boxer Anthony Mundine and former Test stars Glenn McGrath and Michael Slater.
The former Midnight Oil frontman's great grandfather, Tom Garrett, played 19 Tests for Australia between 1877 and 1888.
Current Australian players David Warner, Nathan Bracken, Moises Henriques, Lisa Sthelaker and Ellyse Perry will also feature in the yet to be finalised teams.
Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert said Waugh and Taylor immediately agreed to play when he put the proposition to them.
"They said yes straight away," Mr Gilbert said in a statement.
"Once again, they are leading the way, just as they did in their playing days, and the response from players, past and present, plus the personalities has been fantastic."
Sydney Rooster NRL players Braith Anasta and Anthony Minichiello Waratah players Phil Waugh, Lote Tuqiri and the retired Matthew Burke will also feature.
Sydney Swans forward Barry Hall has agreed to play, as too will singer Shannon Noll, former world surfing champion Mick Fanning and current surfer Joel Parkinson.
Organisers hope the match will raise $500,000 for the Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal, with SCG staff donating their services.
The Twenty20 match, to be staged by the SCG Trust in partnership with Cricket Australia, will start at 5pm (AEDT). Tickets will go on sale from Monday.

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2009/02/15/Waugh_Garrett_to_play_in_charity_match

I've heard they're also after Shane Warne... reports on 2GB said organisers were "hopeful".

Timmah

Staff member
RE: Mundine... amazing... US deserve Sept 11. attacks but he's willing to be charitable to Australian bushire victims? Smacks of hypocrisy, prick.

:x

fish eel

Immortal
RE: Mundine... amazing... US deserve Sept 11. attacks but he's willing to be charitable to Australian bushire victims? Smacks of hypocrisy, prick.

:x

Geeze, that's a big leap, comments re:9/11 to a natural diaster in his own country.

gong_eagle

First Grade
with bit of luck,McGrath or Bracken bowl a bouncer at Mundane and hit him in his ugly melon and he gets out hit wicket for ZERO

Timmah

Staff member
Geeze, that's a big leap, comments re:9/11 to a natural diaster in his own country.

Maybe, maybe not. When tragedies occur, he supports what suits him. A bit hypocritical in my book.

fish eel

Immortal
Maybe, maybe not. When tragedies occur, he supports what suits him. A bit hypocritical in my book.

tbh, that sounds like most people.

It's poor form bagging people for giving up their time this weekend.

Good on him.

Bazal

Post Whore

I don't think it's even as deep as that. He just wants to get his mug in the press for whatever he can....

why should he give a sh*t about something that happened half way across the world? i didn't care about september 11 but i feel saddened about the bushfires, does that somehow make me hypocritical?

no, really, explain it how it makes him hypocritical

Timmah

Staff member
Sorry fishy, I refuse to believe that man would put anyone before himself and I'm pretty sure a majority of Australian's would agree with me. I sense an alterior motive - but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Timmah

Staff member
why should he give a sh*t about something that happened half way across the world? i didn't care about september 11 but i feel saddened about the bushfires, does that somehow make me hypocritical?

no, really, explain it how it makes him hypocritical

The problem wasn't that he "didn't give a sh*t" about Sept 11, he came out condemning America on national television and saying in so many words that they had it coming. Whether or not it's relevant you can debate all you like - I'm not criticising him for not caring on that front.

fish eel

Immortal
Sorry fishy, I refuse to believe that man would put anyone before himself and I'm pretty sure a majority of Australian's would agree with me. I sense an alterior motive - but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Does his motives really matter if he is helping get a good outcome?

I dont think the majority of Australians would give a sh*t as to why he is doing it.

Timmah

Staff member
I already know 3 people who were thinking of going until they heard his name mentioned... he has that effect. People are entitled to dislike him.

If it gets a good outcome fine... if I see any promotion for him and one of his little boxing matches I'll see him for exactly what he is.

LOL he hasn't got a scheduled fight coming up, so you're really in the loop

and you must know some pea hearted people and you're probably one of them ... LOL @ not going to a charity appeal match because of ONE person who will have precisely not much to do during the whole game

Timmah

Staff member
Small minded? I'm not the one sitting here criticising someone for having an opinion?

Do either of you do anything else but harrass me? :?

fish eel

Immortal
Small minded? I'm not the one sitting here criticising someone for having an opinion?

Do either of you do anything else but harrass me? :?

Not criticising you for having an opinion.

Criticising your opinion.

There's a difference.

Anyway, does anyone know who the music entertainment will be?

Latest posts