What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of The Year Thus Far

fortae

Bench
His defence has improved, yes, but you would think with Rory O'Brien being absent that Hancocks workrate would have risen.

That's rather simplistic. Hit-ups are down for the props in general, though Merrin is playing longer and taking more hit-ups when he plays under 20s.

There's Wakeman who took Hancock's role and his rate is lower than Hancock's last year ... the right winger is making more metres than last year. In fact, the wingers took the first hit-ups off kick-offs early in the year.

The dummy-halves and halves combinations are light years ahead of what was there last year, meaning that everyone is more effective.

Metres per carry is the only accurate way.

D

Deleted member 10972

Not necessarily. Mose Masoe made around 11-12 metres per run last year, but his involvement level is not up to scratch. Simply put, workrate is just as important as metres per run. Anything less than 80 metres per game on average by a regularly starting prop is usually considered below average. None of the other props get near Arona, Merrin, Vave and Bromwich though. They are all dominating frontrowers.

fortae

Bench
You didn't make it "just as important" at all, you went further ... when you should have gone the other way.

There's going to be anomalies, but you don't neglect the most accurate stat in a summation because of that. If you provided hitups and metres, people could easily see that anomaly. The problem is you shuffled the statistics by metres per game. It's not the lead statistic.

Workrate means less in a competition that is about development of a large number of players. That's why you need to know how a team plays. Saints are making the most metres in the competition playing the way they are ...

D

Deleted member 10972

Alright mate, whatever you say.

Next time I will just say that Hacock, Radan and Dodds are making less metres than they did last year, if that will make you happy.

Form changes so often. So this is another go.

01. Gareth Widdop (Storm)
02. Joe Vickory (Dragons)
03. Taiaolo Vai Vai (Rabbitohs)
04. Daniel Vidot (Raiders)
05. Kane Morgan (Rabbitohs)
06. Robert Lui (Tigers)
07. Beau Henry (Dragons)
08. Andrew Fifita (Tigers)
09. Kayne Lawton (Titans)
10. Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
11. Jason Schirnack (Tigers)
12. Daniel Penese (Panthers)
13. Jamie Buhrer (Sea-Eagles))

14. Luke Kelly/Mal Webster (Storm/Rabbitohs)
15. Trent Merrin (Dragons)
16. Pakisonasi Afu (Bulldogs)
17. Joel Romelo (Panthers)

18. Luke Kelly/Mal Webster (Storm/Rabbitohs)
19. Jared Waeara-Hargreaves (Sea-Eagles)

Lox

Juniors
just wondering where do you get these stats from? just interested to see the others in the toyota cup's stats???

D

Deleted member 10972

The only flaws is that they are missing the statistics for the Round 4 clash between Manly and Knights (except for tries scored and player appearances), as well as not even mentioning anything about the Round 15 clashes between Broncos/Sharks, and Raiders/Manly.

I can usually add those into my analysis' however, just for accuracies sake.

tezzah1

Juniors
Jesse Bromwich (Storm ) and Martin Taupau (Bulldogs) are top tryscorers for NYC with 6 each with Bromwich playing 14 NYC and 1 in CC Storm vs Bankstown Bulls totalling 9 line breaks. Would be interesting stats to see how many NYC have gone to NRL in 09 -would that distort stats? I see a few NYC players are/have played in NSW Cup/Q Cup...eg. Dugan to Souths Logan Magpies (QLD Cup), Barba to Bankstown Bulls etc

D

Deleted member 10972

I'd like to see Fifita be given a shot by Tigers at least. He is very explosive, and has a truckload of aggression. He doesn't have the phenomenal workrate of Vave, Arona, Merrin or Bromwich, but he can break tackles at will, and is a danger close to the line. He might at least be better than Gibbs and Payten...

Don Tweddle

Juniors
I notice the Sharks aren't getting any mentions. Fair enough, we're off the pace in NYC, but a couple of players there look likely.
How do people rate Ben Orcher (fullback/five-eighth) and Lancen Joudo (hooker)?
To me, Orcher hasn't progressed as quickly as I'd like, but there's definite potential there.

D

Deleted member 10972

Personally, from the Sharks I rate John Viiga (prop - huge improvement from last year), Luke Latham (leading your pack) and Lancen Joudo (great hooker). Not enough points in the backline is your biggest problem though.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos fan - It's a bit hard for people to comment on our players when they've only been exposed to a national audience once...and that was back in Round 3.

Like I said in another thread, there are players who are well ahead of ours, in fact the only player I would nominate is Kurt Baptiste, the rest are good prospects but there are certainly brighter ahead of them currently.

D

Deleted member 10972

I'd put David Hala and Todd Murphy up there definitely. Hala is one hell of a good prop, and Murphy is killing it at fullback.

But you are right about the others. Sims, Lingwoodock, Ford, Baptiste, Lui, Copley, Gagai are all good players IMO, but there are just others who have that little bit more individually.

Big Pete

Referee
Hala's been very impressive but there are certainly some better prop forwards ahead of him - Murphy again has been a revelation at the back, but surely there has to be somebody better?

Just out of curiosity, who would you have over Baptiste? That's not to say I disagree, just interested to see. :)

D

Deleted member 10972

Got to go with Kayne Lawton there.

Hits the ball up like a backrower, tops the try assists and linebreak assists for any hooker too.

I'd have Mitch Rein next, then Baptiste. Then probably Clydesdale from Panthers or Segeyaro from NQLD.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hala's been very impressive but there are certainly some better prop forwards ahead of him - Murphy again has been a revelation at the back, but surely there has to be somebody better?

Just out of curiosity, who would you have over Baptiste? That's not to say I disagree, just interested to see. :)

There must be some pretty good under 20's for the Broncos because in the last 11 games they have won 9, to be one of the form teams of the comp. I've only seen our under 20's play once, as Big Pete has mentioned they have had only 1 TV game. Obviously Henjak sees something great in Copley, he has already got a run in NRL! There doesn't seem to be much talk of Ben Hunt anymore, even though he is a regular again in the under 20's.