What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carbs

roopy

Referee
Interestingly, that URL's Bibliography makes mention of deriving their information from some of the same authors that published the International Glycemic Index listing I used above in my own post(s) on the topic. No doubt well-known researchers in their field! .. Well done mate.
Yeah - the article basically debunks your sources - shows why and how they got it wrong.

Johns Magic

Referee
I don't believe in this whole "no carbs" argument. Look at Asian people for instance. A lot of them basically live on Rice, most meals in a day and on the whole, they are generally fairly thin. I'm not talking about those that are of low socio economic status either. I have a lot of Asian friends, most of those come from households where they basically have rice in the rice cooker 24/7. First thing they do whenever they get home is have a plate of rice with whatever else has been cooked to go with it and on the whole, I would say that they are all fairly slim.

I notice that most of my Asian friends don't eat a lot of junk food. They don't really snack but eat at irregular hours so when they do eat, they eat as per above. They would be more likely to have several small meals (with rice on the side) per day than three large meals and some snacks. These small meals could be at normal-ish hours or they may be eating rice at 3am. Completely going against what everyone says about carbs yet they are within healthy weight range.

There are plenty of fat asians DKOR.

How many toned muscly asians do you know?

Martli

Coach
obviously weight loss is essentially about calories in and calories out and technically it doesn't matter what the food is, as long as its a certain calorific amount.

That'd be the case for "Weight loss" up to a certain point, but not fat loss, which is what most people are after. You need the right mix to burn fat and conserve muscle. Fat loss is a lot more complicated than that. Not all calories are equal.

Last edited:

Valderon

Juniors
Yeah - the article basically debunks your sources - shows why and how they got it wrong.

:roll: No it doesn't Roopy. You're just making yourself look incredibly silly.

The article actually promotes the book written by the very authors who produced the International Glycemic Index list that you incorrectly commented on. Even with such a large body of evidence against you; you still refuse to accept that your contribution in this topic has been lacklustre and misguided at best. You're clearly a man too proud to admit when he's wrong.

Last edited:

Valderon

Juniors
An interesting article on how exercising doesn't help you necesarily help you lose weight.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

This is not an article that is supported by anyone in the industry.

The internationally respected ACSM are in the process of providing a rebuttle response to it.

The article itself is grossly incorrect. It completely ignores the evolutionary human genome; and it's relationship with weight fluctuations, and chronic diseases that follow.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
:roll: No it doesn't Roopy. You're just making yourself look incredibly silly.

The article actually promotes the book written by the very authors who produced the International Glycemic Index list that you incorrectly commented on. Even with such a large body of evidence against you; you still refuse to accept that your contribution in this topic has been lacklustre and misguided at best. You're clearly a man too proud to admit when he's wrong.
The article looks at the methods used to formulate the index and gives example after example of how their methodology was flawed.

Valderon

Juniors
The article looks at the methods used to formulate the index and gives example after example of how their methodology was flawed.

It does not discuss "flaws" . It discusses the many considerations that are necessary when looking at the GI value of foods, however, in an earlier post, I also mentioned this very concept, and the volatility of GI in food.

If you don't understand the topic, don't attempt to argue it. You're only wasting everyones time.

roopy

Referee
It does not discuss "flaws" . It discusses the many considerations that are necessary when looking at the GI value of foods, however, in an earlier post, I also mentioned this very concept, and the volatility of GI in food.

If you don't understand the topic, don't attempt to argue it. You're only wasting everyones time.
arrogant wanker.

roopy

Referee
You had it wrong Roopy. Yet again.
My basic mistake was to try to simplify a concept so people could pick it up quickly, which is fatal on the internet, because it allows an internet hero to swoop in and declare how clever he is because he can explain it in much bigger words.

As it turns out, the article posted by Thomas clearly shows that both of us were putting too much value on a concept that has promise, but isn't very well researched at present.

Valderon is your typical young internet hero who feels he can be rude to people he never has to look in the eye. A very common species on the net.

Valderon

Juniors
My basic mistake was to try to simplify a concept so people could pick it up quickly, which is fatal on the internet, because it allows an internet hero to swoop in and declare how clever he is because he can explain it in much bigger words.

As it turns out, the article posted by Thomas clearly shows that both of us were putting too much value on a concept that has promise, but isn't very well researched at present.

Valderon is your typical young internet hero who feels he can be rude to people he never has to look in the eye. A very common species on the net.

No Roopy, you were just wrong on numerous occasions. You also instigated the hostility as well, so please don't try and advertise yourself as the diplomatic one here as you're only insulting everyone's intelligence.

The simple fact of the matter is; newcomers to this forum are unable to differentiate between good advice, and poor information. If you think I'm going to simply sit back and let you attempt to preach to the world on issues you actually don't know anything about; you are mistaken.

The more you attempt to assert yourself, the more you expose yourself.

roopy

Referee
No Roopy, you were just wrong on numerous occasions. You also instigated the hostility as well, so please don't try and advertise yourself as the diplomatic one here as you're only insulting everyone's intelligence.

The simple fact of the matter is; newcomers to this forum are unable to differentiate between good advice, and poor information. If you think I'm going to simply sit back and let you attempt to preach to the world on issues you actually don't know anything about; you are mistaken.

The more you attempt to assert yourself, the more you expose yourself.
try to get over yourself.
It will probably take a big effort, but you will be a better person for it.

Dutchy

Immortal
Roopy. He has so much more experience and knowledge on the matter. You are just a nurse.

Latest posts