What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J Hottest 100 2009

fish eel

Immortal
You're right, I haven't heard much about them... that absolutely rubbish Stacey's Mom song, as well as the big commercial campaign to make them the "next big punk band" was more than enough for me.

But I guess that actually proves the point I was making. Commercial radio, at one time, tried to pass them off as punk even though - and I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't heard much of them - they are far from it.

I've been a big fountains fan since their first album and the single radiation vibe.

They only time I've ever heard any mention of them being the next big punk band is by you, on here skeepe. They're nothing more, and have never tried to be anything more than a fun, guitar driven pop band.

Anyone who thinks these guys would even attempt to be a punk band has no idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oau5sAiX1WQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQ9EiXmV6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvUdr3Qc3f4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4blhM9IU3A

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
You're right, I haven't heard much about them... that absolutely rubbish Stacey's Mom song, as well as the big commercial campaign to make them the "next big punk band" was more than enough for me.

But I guess that actually proves the point I was making. Commercial radio, at one time, tried to pass them off as punk even though - and I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't heard much of them - they are far from it.

That is 100% false, never ever in the 15 or so years Fountains Of Wayne have been around have I heard anyone even atempt to describe them as punk, because they'd be rightfully laughed out of town. You're the first person.

fish eel

Immortal
only thing skeepe is right on though is stacey mom. One of their weakest songs IMO.

I'll give young skeepe the benefit of the doubt and assume he heard it somewhere else.

fish eel

Immortal
Fountains Of Wayne are power pop if anything, surely? Still an excellent band, I am a big power pop sort of guy though.

I quite like pop punk, there I said it. I re-bought Enema Of The State a couple of week ago to replace my scratched version :D

not a posies fan are you flapper?

Big Star? Matthew Sweet?

skeepe

Immortal
Fair enough, as I said I don't know as much about them as you guys obviously do. I do know that they are quite often categorised as "pop-punk", and a quick Google has confirmed that this is the case. So I was half right. Kinda.

That said, perhaps a better example would have been the god-awful Bowling For Soup... and maybe we should just leave it at that.

fish eel

Immortal
Fair enough, as I said I don't know as much about them as you guys obviously do. I do know that they are quite often categorised as "pop-punk", and a quick Google has confirmed that this is the case. So I was half right. Kinda.

My god.

I've just googled fountains of wayne pop punk and you're right. Would never have picked it.

Still, they'd never, and their fans wouldnt really put them in that category. JUst shows how daft music labels can be.

That said, perhaps a better example would have been the god-awful Bowling For Soup... and maybe we should just leave it at that.

Oh come on Skeepe, what was that song, 1985? Dont tell me you dont like that one! :lol:

Paullyboy

Coach
I have a feeling this could be the worst Hottest 100 year in a long time. It was SO hard picking 10 songs that I could justify as being worthy. What bothers me more is that Little Lion Man is such a sure-thing (based on Sportingbet). I just don't get the attraction to that song, to me it's a nothing song that is known because it followed the trick The Tenants used and has blatand swearing in the chorus.

End rant.

lolesi

First Grade
I will be working Aus day so i wont be able to listen to it which is a real shame, but i still voted and this is what i came up with:
Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes
Bon Iver - Blood Bank
Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone
Closure In Moscow - Sweet#Hart
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Home
Kid Cudi - Pursuit Of Happiness
Manchester Orchestra - I've Got Friends
Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page
Temper Trap, The - Science Of Fear
Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man

Red Bear

Referee
Dropkick Murphys are a supurb band in my opinion anyway, their mixture of traditional irish music with punk roots is supurb. Put on a hell of a show as well

Paullyboy

Coach
Dropkick Murphys are a supurb band in my opinion anyway, their mixture of traditional irish music with punk roots is supurb. Put on a hell of a show as well

I'm not much of a punk fan, I always enjoyed watching a Frenzal Rhomb gig because they were generally funny and enjoyed a Rancid gig I went to about 10 years ago, but that's about the extent of it. Yet having said that, I would really like to see the Dropkick Murphys and I'm not sure why.

skeepe

Immortal
I just realised they pushed the start time of the countdown back two hours?

Why oh why?

12pm is a rubbish start time.

Paullyboy

Coach
I actually stumbled across that by accident and quite enjoyed it - I just wish I'd seen it from the start, I love a good music doco.

As for the Hottest 100 start time, that's awesome news for me, I've missed the final 10 songs far too many times because it ends at about 5pm for some reason, being a bit later should help me personally.

fish eel

Immortal
Haven't heard much Posies in my day although I am aware and really should, but Big Star and Matthew Sweet are fantastic.

Get Frosting on the Beater and/or Amazing Disgrace. Two great records. Rocking with some terrific harmonies

Latest posts