What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directors to pursue legal challenge against NRL

Keysee

Juniors
Is that Moodie character a part of this proposed legal action?

When the press conference was held announcing the rorting & subsequent penalties, I thought Moodie handled himself with a fantastic amount of dignity & humility. Seems I was wrong and Moodie is just a very good actor.

Confirming that Dr Rob Moodie is NOT repeat NOT a part of the proposed appeal. I agree with you, I think he will be a champion plank of the club rebuilding and am so glad that News did not accept his resignation. He and Bellamy (I believe) did not know, all others sink deeper into the mire by the day.

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think every team cheats. I think some teams venture over their cap marginally due to injury tolls but that isn't the same thing. I do though think some teams could not have the roster they have without being over so yes I agree there but it is hard to be real about it.

Also I agree that the punishment was according to when the discovery occurred but that is circumstantial IMO.

Keysee

Juniors
The NRL might NEED a team in Melbourne but, let's face it, not many people (mainly in heartland NSW) actually want them, even before all this happened. If Storm folded I doubt many "traditionalists" would mind much...

The NRL (especially Gallop) do not need a club in Melbourne. Melbourne has roughly 20% of Australia's population (about 40% of the IQ), FOX and Channel 9 ie the television rights, need a team in Melbourne. As Adolf Gallop said " Melbourne is important to the NRL whether it is the Storm or another team ....." says it all. I hope Rebecca Wilson sends through another love piece soon, really worried as to whether Adolf has been sober for the last month with the other 15 CEO's taking him out for drinks.

Ulysseus

Bench
Confirming that Dr Rob Moodie is NOT repeat NOT a part of the proposed appeal. I agree with you, I think he will be a champion plank of the club rebuilding and am so glad that News did not accept his resignation..

Hope you are right sport.
A few of us called Waldron a dickhead before the sh*t hit the fan (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6315330&postcount=70) and got told that he was the messiah on several occasions.
For your clubs sake, this bloke better not be a dickhead of similar ilk.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Cant say I agree with the Storm doing this. You cheated and were punished severely yet fairly. Just let it go guys.

LESStar58

Referee
Hope you are right sport.
A few of us called Waldron a dickhead before the sh*t hit the fan (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6315330&postcount=70) and got told that he was the messiah on several occasions.
For your clubs sake, this bloke better not be a dickhead of similar ilk.

Calling him the "messiah" might be pushing it but at the time I was more than likely one of the Storm supporters saying that he was a good choice of CEO because of his knowledge of the Melbourne sporting landscape, attracting sponsors given his track record with AFL clubs (mortgage house came on in 2006 after sponsoring St. Kilda, Waldrons AFL club, before he convinced them to be sleeve sponsor but there was a point there where they were almost main sponsors) etc.

The thing that pisses me off now is that Waldron was the one who, ironically, has undone all the good work he had done prior to April 22, 2010. Essentially, we were betrayed by someone who was meant to look after the interests of the club and it's fans and he's made all the people who have supported him during his tenure at Storm look like jackasses.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I saw a suggestion earlier in the thread that suggested the NRL announce the Storm are over the cap and they will investigate...

So you're suggesting we should've allowed a team over $2million in excess of the cap over the last 5 years play teams that are reportedly all under the cap, with no penalties, impediments or anything?

This sh*t is ridiculous and the Storm board better make the right decision - drop the rubbish and move forward. The NRL have done the right thing and penalised the Storm accordingly.

Move the f**k on.

Ulysseus

Bench
Calling him the "messiah" might be pushing it but at the time I was more than likely one of the Storm supporters saying that he was a good choice of CEO because of his knowledge of the Melbourne sporting landscape, attracting sponsors given his track record with AFL clubs (mortgage house came on in 2006 after sponsoring St. Kilda, Waldrons AFL club, before he convinced them to be sleeve sponsor but there was a point there where they were almost main sponsors) etc.

The thing that pisses me off now is that Waldron was the one who, ironically, has undone all the good work he had done prior to April 22, 2010. Essentially, we were betrayed by someone who was meant to look after the interests of the club and it's fans and he's made all the people who have supported him during his tenure at Storm look like jackasses.

Sometimes idols are chosen poorly mate.
One thing I could never get was why you all got in a conga line to lick the mans arse when he could not achieve the only barometer for success in the location that is Victoria - getting the storm to be self sufficient or at least making inroads to it.
One goal and he failed, then as history shows he failed on many, many, many other levels as well.

LESStar58

Referee
Sometimes idols are chosen poorly mate.
One thing I could never get was why you all got in a conga line to lick the mans arse when he could not achieve the only barometer for success in the location that is Victoria - getting the storm to be self sufficient or at least making inroads to it.
One goal and he failed, then as history shows he failed on many, many, many other levels as well.

Funny thing is we turn are set to turn a profit for the first time in 6 years... it's the promotion etc that he's failed us on.

LESStar58

Referee
I do though think some teams could not have the roster they have without being over so yes I agree there but it is hard to be real about it.

Hard to be "real" about it? Just because it can't be proven doesn't mean it's not going on.

If anything good is to come out of his rot it's that there will be a lot of people involved in the game rushing to get their houses in order...

Noa

First Grade
Yep, the irony is that we are doing much better then anyone realised.

taxidriver

Coach
well news ltd have told the independent directors that they are on their own if they pursue this at that news will neither support or fund any action

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19259

Directors to pursue legal challenge against NRL

The four independent directors of Melbourne Storm have today voted unanimously for Melbourne Storm to commence legal proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria to challenge the NRL decision-making process and penalties imposed on Melbourne Storm by the NRL on 22 April.

In making their decision, the four directors have sought independent legal advice and carefully considered the interests of the Melbourne Storm stakeholders - its members, fans, supporters, staff, players and sponsors.

The NRL's decision-making process was not fair, impartial or transparent. The NRL also did not provide the Club with an opportunity to obtain independent legal advice before imposing penalties or to argue about the appropriateness of the penalties that should be imposed.

News Limited chairman and chief executive, John Hartigan, said yesterday the organization acknowledges how "devastating this has been for the fans, players, staff and sponsors of the Storm". These people, while not being the financial owners of Melbourne Storm, are the spiritual and emotional owners of the club.

The directors of Melbourne Storm seek that the Club should be provided with a fair impartial and transparent process to deal with these very serious issues of breaching the salary cap and, if granted, the Club will comply with the NRL's process in a new hearing. Moreover, the Club will abide by the outcome of any fair, impartial and transparent process at which the Club is independently represented. And they will also encourage all of the Melbourne Storm stakeholders to do likewise.

The directors intend to seek an urgent and expeditious resolution of this legal proceeding in the best interests of the Club, its stakeholders and the League.

Rob Moodie, Petra Fawcett, Peter Maher, Gerry Ryan

dclayw

Juniors
(I won't speculate on player involvement like a lot of people on here are doing e.g. threads on Billy Slater; He sidestepped a few questions o that must make him guilty....give me a break. However, if there are any players proven to be implicated I will pass judgement on them at the time)

If everyone is rorting or cheating the cap (and I believe all clubs are to an extent) then it's hardly an "even playing field" is it?

So you're not prepared to pass judgement on player involvement in the Storm scandal until you get proof but you are prepared to pass judgement on ALL other clubs even though you have no proof.

Your arguement is full of holes mate. Might be time to sit back and reassess your thoughts on the entire situation before you post again.

I don't think every team cheats. I think some teams venture over their cap marginally due to injury tolls but that isn't the same thing.
And these "minor" indescretions of the cap are well documented for all to see.

Lowdown

Juniors
Go hard you good things.

All we're asking for is a fair go.

The Storm breached the NRL's Salary Cap rules and were dealt a swift and severe penalty.

If the NRL have been found the administer the punishment unlawfully, then they too deserve to be dealt with accordingly.

I can tell you one thing: If Gallop has screwed things up, he can start packing his bags now...

did they read the last couple of lines best interests of the Club, its stakeholders and the League.how is this in the best interest of the nrl

Ulysseus

Bench
Nice, good to see they are taking the deserved punishment with all the dignity of a dummy spitting 2 year old.
Please, get the f**k out of the game.
If not the club, then some of the scum involved with it.

Still, this will be interesting, no news ltd money to fund their case means they'll need to stump up the lions share of the moolah.
This isn't a civil matter of sorts, they don't want money, so I am guessing that both winner and loser will be left to pay their own legal bills.