What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directors to pursue legal challenge against NRL

melbourne_belle

Juniors
I hear ya Belle.I would rather just enjoy the football for the rest of the year as well, and celebrate things like Richie Kennar just making the NSW U-16 team, a major breakthrough for a Victorian born and developed play.
Exactly, I just want to enjoy rugby league again, instead of watching it with depression :lol:
Agreed we need to celebrate those things like Richard Kennar and our SG Ball team stocked with plenty of Vic boys doing well again this year.

Gaba

First Grade
UP YOURS GALLOP:lol: and all you nrl fans who don't like it can suck donkey balls:crazy:

Storm got no case they admitted guilt publicly and acknowledge they deliberately held another book illegally from the nrl.

The storm if they take legal action may brought the end to the storm quicker

stormbati

Bench
Storm got no case they admitted guilt publicly and acknowledge they deliberately held another book illegally from the nrl.

The storm if they take legal action may brought the end to the storm quicker

Yes but the players have not been represented, they are the biggest losers out of this. The club admitted guilt and accepted the punishment but hadent even spoken to the players who were the ones getting penalized for something they didn't do.

Gaba

First Grade
Yes but the players have not been represented, they are the biggest losers out of this. The club admitted guilt and accepted the punishment but hadent even spoken to the players who were the ones getting penalized for something they didn't do.

The players are employees of the club, as with majority of business the ceo and directors have the say.

On the players being penalized, have to wait and see who knew what.

The opposition teams and players are more penalize though, due to the storm management not being honest

Evenflow

Bench
All what news limited has to go refuse to put money towards the storm if storm take legal action. Then the nrl and news limited counter sue storm directors for damages it was the storm who admitted guilt and accepted the punishment.

The nrl if they counter sue and win

The storm directors are bringing the game into disrepute and not offer storm invitation to play in the nrl

You bring basic human literacy skills into disrepute with your repeated nonsensical ramblings and not being able to put a simple f**king sentence together. Even after you once again edited your post it still comes out like a dogs breakfast :oops:

Gaba

First Grade
You bring basic human literacy skills into disrepute with your repeated nonsensical ramblings and not being able to put a simple f**king sentence together. Even after you once again edited your post it still comes out like a dogs breakfast :oops:
:lol: you havent done that for a while,so it should give some enjoyment in typing that

voltron

Juniors
I don't see how this concerns any non storm fans. This is for the storm fans and players.

Of course it concerns all nrl fans.
This is the crap that drags the game through the mud
Like the bird incident a couple of years ago. Everyone was having a say because as fans of the game, and this affecting the game, it affects us

So they had to clear the punishment with the players first?
Oh is it ok that we take the premierships off you?
Sif
If the board of a company is found breaking the law and have to axe people as a result, they don't ask the employees whether its ok by them
As the board they take responsibility for what they have done
And are the representativea head of the club. What they do affect everyone.
So blame your board, because they're the gits who went this way in the first place.

Maybe the salary cap isn't the greatest
But as long and you're in the comp you play by the rules
U break them and you face the consequences

Gallop is the head and sometimes you have to make decisions on your own.
Because he is the head and is will be responsible for the fall out of this all.
He could have done it better im sure, but court action is not going to help the matter.
Most fans will never view those two years as having been won by the storm. Because they cheated.
And rugby fans have LONG memories (bunnies fans, LOL)

Keysee

Juniors
The opposition teams and players are more penalize though, due to the storm management not being honest

Oh my God, this is the most BS comment I have ever seen on any blog. Opposition players are coming out saying "Raise the Cap" and using the Storm situation to line their own pockets.
Apart from Canberra this weekend, who else is affected due to the rort, and if Canberra win, they're not affected anyway. The only people truly affected are the Storm supporters.

dclayw

Juniors
Unbelievable. After what's happened they are seriously thinking about suing the NRL? What can possibly be achieved from this, the re-instatement of premierships? Surely there is no-one out there, Storm fans or otherwise who wants that, those premierships are tarnished forever. Hasn't the game suffered enough?

I agree this is an issue for the club and fans but it will bring far more pain to the rest of the NRL community, far more pain to me. Or is that the intention, to destroy the game?

I love this game and I don't want to see any more damage. If Storm fans don't support this move then please tell your club, get a petition going or something. Or do you want to see your club sink further into oblivion, it's possible the club won't survive anyway, but this could be the death knell, is that you want?

Unbelivable.....................

dclayw

Juniors
I don't see how this concerns any non storm fans. This is for the storm fans and players.
You've got to be kidding. Please rethink what you just wrote. I have been a league fan for more then 45 years. This is THE game I love. You don't think it has an impact on me? Enough damage has been done, no more please. Even the threat of suing the NRL is bringing the game further down.

I hope that made you feel better. Glad you got that off your chest then?

This is an important issue, please stick to the topic or don't bother posting.

bileduct

Coach
Oh for f**k's sake, the poor players!!! BOOOOOOOO-f**kING-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Please tell me exactly how the players have been penalised in all of this? The dubious contracts they signed still have to be honoured, they are getting paid, they are still playing games on the weekend and they are still being selected for representative teams.

The club is being punished, not the players. The club is bigger than any individual player. If the individual players don't like the punishment that has been handed to the club for actions that the club has taken, then it's time to find a new club to play for. A club that doesn't deliberately and systematically rorts the system, doesn't lie to the NRL about their payments year after year, and is eligible to earn points and compete.

Furthermore, I am sure that once all of the details of the investigation are revealled we'll find that the players themselves are not so innocent after all.

Keysee

Juniors
The title of this thread is wrong. The independant directors of the Storm are not suing the NRL. The point of law is that Gallop as CEO does not have the power to impose the penalties he did without the approval of the board. For someone who is a lawyer by trade, very big mistake.
Again, I do not agree with the appeal, just correcting a mistake.

UPDATE 1.20pm: MELBOURNE Storm has been given legal advice about challenging the NRL's sanctions against the club over salary rorts. The independent members of the board, those not aligned with the club's owner, News Limited, engaged Melbourne law firm Arnold Bloch Liebler to look in to how NRL chief executive David Gallop reached his decision.

They will meet tonight to consider the advice they have been given and will issue a statement afterwards.
There have been suggestions Gallop acted outside the NRL's own rules, but the specific legalities of what the directors might base their case on are unclear.

Last edited:

Ulysseus

Bench
Sigh.
Honestly, what else did anyone expect from these scumbags?
I don't know what they hope to achieve here, at best they win, the NRL convene the board and ratify the punishment again, and maybe, just maybe, they begin to make life harder for Melbourne by having them refereed like any other team in the comp.
They need to take their medicine and accept that even if they win this case, if they even start it, then it simply makes them look worse, the only thing worse than a cheating merkin is a cheating merkin who can't take the umpires decision when its handed down.
FFS, even a 5 year old knows that if you do something wrong and get caught you get slapped around the ear, why a few members of their board don't is beyond me.

bileduct

Coach
The independent members of the board, those not aligned with the club's owner, News Limited, engaged Melbourne law firm Arnold Bloch Liebler to look in to how NRL chief executive David Gallop reached his decision.
So potential legal action has not been ratified by the entire Melbourne Cheats board? Board members are acting independantly of one another?

f**kin' hypocrites!

Jaeger's Ghost

Juniors
Anyone think Gallop may know a bit more than the 'independent" directors about where this is going to end up?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/gallop-fires-up-over-storm/story-e6frfgbo-1225866146396

Gallop fires up over Storm

963078-david-gallop-nrl.jpg

Fired up...NRL boss David Gallop. Source: The Daily Telegraph

NRL boss David Gallop came out swinging today over the Melbourne Storm's potential legal action to reclaim the two premiership titles they lost over salary cap rorting.

And the NRL said it was ready to meet any legal challenge mounted by Melbourne Storm directors.
“The NRL rejects completely the uninformed outbursts in the media today from certain lawyers regarding the process that led to the penalties imposed on the club, Gallop said.

“The NRL acted at all times in accordance with the rules that govern the competition and the law.

“A News Limited media release today suggests there is clearly a very unsatisfactory dispute between the directors and the owners.

"The club’s practices could not be any more under the spotlight and if the threat of legal proceedings is an attempt to divert attention away from that issue then it may have the opposite effect.

“There is no doubt that any proceedings that take place could well help to identify if any Storm directors were aware of the club’s salary cap deception.

“It may also explain how that deception could have taken place without the knowledge of directors and in a way that led the Board’s Chairman, Dr Rob Moodie, lodging statutory declarations that proved to be false.

“These are the same directors who were part of a Storm Board meeting that openly discussed and accepted the penalty on April 22.

“There is no suggestion from them, even now, that Melbourne was not breaching the Salary Cap.

“The NRL has taken careful legal advice, including that of Senior Counsel, throughout all of the events that led up to the decision of April 22. The NRL’s solicitor Tony O’Reilly was present at the meeting with the Chairman, the CEO and a Director of the Storm on April 22.“We will strongly defend all aspects of the decision in court if necessary.”

Apart from Canberra this weekend, who else is affected due to the rort, and if Canberra win, they're not affected anyway. The only people truly affected are the Storm supporters.
take the purple blinkers off mate who else is affected? EVERYONE!

Coaster

Bench
“There is no doubt that any proceedings that take place could well help to identify if any Storm directors were aware of the club’s salary cap deception.

“It may also explain how that deception could have taken place without the knowledge of directors and in a way that led the Board’s Chairman, Dr Rob Moodie, lodging statutory declarations that proved to be false.

It would seem that game theory is alive and well

Helen

Juniors
Bellyache said in a press conference that they could not take their integrity away from them... I am beginning to agree.
They can't take what you never had.

Last edited: