What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The press conference

Old Darlin

Juniors
hopefully we see some player managers with life bans out of this - sorry, gallop is in charge - it is time the disgrace known as the player management system was dragged over the coals as well

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't see this statement posted at its full length in that thread, or the level of detail.

Regardless, it's separate from the brief summary you provided.

In summary, f**k off :)

petetheileet

First Grade
NRL Contracts and “Side” Letters
The salary cap breaches were contributed to by “side” letters between the club and some players.

News obtained three “side” letters that show amounts to be paid to players that are well in excess of the amounts in the contracts for the same players that were lodged with the NRL.

The “side” letters obtained by News were from the club to three players; Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith.

All three “side” letters are signed by the club's former CEO Brian Waldron.
The “side” letter to Greg Inglis is signed by Inglis and by his manager/agent Allan Gainey.
The “side” letter to Cameron Smith is signed by Smith and his manager/agent Isaac Moses.
The “side” letter to Billy Slater is not signed by either Slater or his manager/agent George Mimis.

Neither Inglis, Smith, Slater, Gainey, Moses or Mimis agreed to co-operate with News Limited's investigation of the salary cap breaches.

No evidence was found that these players or their managers were aware that payments under these side letters were not disclosed to the NRL or could have contributed to the club breaching the cap.

Thats enough for me....

Waldron off with his head.....

Players suspended until deep investigation to these 'side letters'

any knowledge or wrong doing found at all banned from our game for life.

time to step in NRL!!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So who should worry about the squad for 2011? Or do they knock it up over a barbie next February after skiing day behind Inglis' boat?

Doesn't the club have a recruitment manager who would handle the responsibility of signing and resigning players? :?

super_coach

First Grade
If the players had no knowledge of the rort why didnt they allow News to investigate them??? and what sort of investigation was really carried out?? Its seem to me that waldron and a few others have been loaded up with all the charges so the rest can sneak out the back door with a clean slate

Loudstrat

Coach
The NRL will step in on the appropriate thread I am sure.

Even if Timmah cannot find it among now seemingly endless threads on the same topic.

Oh how I wish there was just ONE REGULAR FORUMMER who would volunteer to pilice this! ;-)

petetheileet

First Grade
The League team is their priority....

they need a team that can win and be succesful, Waldron is already gone so just load everything on him.

we havnt heard the entire untained truth unfortunatley, we have been given a carefully constructed statement which protects some people important to the team and damages those which have nothing else to do with them

Loudstrat

Coach
Doesn't the club have a recruitment manager who would handle the responsibility of signing and resigning players? :?
They can probably negotiate but cannot sign off as that is the boards responsibility. Otherwise, what the f*ck does a board do?

If the players had no knowledge of the rort why didnt they allow News to investigate them??? and what sort of investigation was really carried out?? Its seem to me that waldron and a few others have been loaded up with all the charges so the rest can sneak out the back door with a clean slate

Greedy players and managers -the whole reason cap rorts exist in the first place. Remember Parra paying Jim Dymock's manager for his signature?

petetheileet

First Grade
Loudstrat...go easy, not the end of the world....

IMO a thread was needed for this, a summary of all findings in the first post

Spitty

Juniors
The worst news in this regard is that the only way the Storm can get under the cap next year is to sell the players outside the NRL. Hartigan said himself if players go to another NRL club then the Storm have to top up th players contract which then comes out of the Storm salary cap.

Therefor is Inglis was earning $600G a year and Broncos agree to pay him $400G then the Storm have to pay the extre $200G which then comes out of there cap. Therefor the only way Storm can offload GI without it affecting next years cap is if another NRL club agree's to pay him equal to what he was getting at the Storm (not going to happen) or they send him to Union, AFL or the UK.

Inglis is just and example I don't think he'll be going anywhere, but already we've seen most of the players leaving the Storm are going to the UK and in the interest of the Storm I would expect more to head that way and very few to remain in the NRL. Thus diluting the talent even further. And we think this years competition is low quality.

gronkathon

First Grade
Simple. The amnesty should include anything above $500k to be paid by the Storm for the 4 players and not included in the Storms cap. On the proviso that the $450 - 500k main contract is with a club apart from the Storm

Loudstrat

Coach
Simple. The amnesty should include anything above $500k to be paid by the Storm for the 4 players and not included in the Storms cap. On the proviso that the $450 - 500k main contract is with a club apart from the Storm

Amnesty = lest allow them to cheat.

F*ck that.

De-register the top 4. Let market forces then sort it out.

_Johnsy

Referee
I think you can put that down to them being poorly advised. They wouldn't know what the "best" thing to do would have been so they relied on those they look to for this type of thing, namely their managers and club management.

I disgree, even Hartigan said that the Players Association lawyers ensured their privacy would be protected.

Early on in the investigation there was evidence (email) that one of the managers knew and asked to be assured that the extra payments be included in the cap, a return email did not give that assurance. How can the players continue to play the ignorance card. They would have known the repurcussions on not assist investigators. As someone said earlier if they honestly had no idea the extra payments were illegal, what did they have to lose ? Nothing. What did they have to gain, a clear name, integrity etc. This mud will stick for the rest of their entire careers, and rightfully so IMO.

FFS they are not kids, lets stop treating them like they are.

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Because the cars, boat etc are a fringe benefit and therefore taxable. If a player mentions these on their return it it matched against info provided by their employer. You reckon a dumb-as-dogsh*t- twat like Inglis would remember to include his boat?

The payments coming through the charity that were invoiced as consultancy fees for example - that's fraud.

There have been things thrown up that are clearly fraud. The ATO love things like that.

This is the exact reason why the players won't talk to the consultants. If they are seen as earning more than they're declaring, it's a criminal offence.

Tax evasion is not a crime you want to get convicted of, especially if you were compliant to it occurring. It will be a whopping big fine, jail time, or possibly both.

Latest posts