What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2010

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I recorded the show so that I could fast forward through all the crap just to get to that interview.

Was a sad interview, this will take some time to heal. But I have no doubts he will be back to his best next year. The NRL are such a joke. I can't believe they just ditched the bloke, and now try to make out like they had his back the whole time. I'm proud that Manly stuck by him.
Getting really sick of the Stewart/Manly fans turning on the NRL as if the whole saga is their fault.

They suspended him for four matches due to perceived drunken behaviour, I believe Watmough was also stood down from memory.

I don't see how they're making out like they stuck by him the whole time - they did what they legally had to during the case (let the authorities/courts do their job) and have offered somewhat of a congratulations on him being exonerated.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As I said, you have made 1 Grand Final in 10 years. You mustn't be too successful in Finals series if you can't make it to the big one.
Wow, and Manly have made two... how is that so much better? :?

I think any decade where a team makes a GF can be considered somewhat successful - only Cronulla, Canberra, Gold Coast and South Sydney can say they haven't been there.

cleary89

Coach
I left 3/4 of the way through because it was so f**king cold, and there was nothing to eat there.

Decent show, first time I have been and really enjoyed it.

But f**k that Stewart stuff was boring.

RHCP

Bench
Timmah said:
They suspended him for four matches due to perceived drunken behaviour, I believe Watmough was also stood down from memory.
I'm sure if Andrew Ryan, Michael Ennis, etc. was stood down for 'perceived' drunken behaviour, you'd be less than pleased.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Getting really sick of the Stewart/Manly fans turning on the NRL as if the whole saga is their fault.

I don't see how they're making out like they stuck by him the whole time - they did what they legally had to during the case (let the authorities/courts do their job) and have offered somewhat of a congratulations on him being exonerated.

You're kidding yourself. They chucked the poor bloke under a bus. They presumed guilt and suspended him for 4 weeks. They said it was for alcohol abuse, but that is crap, no one else has been treated that harshly for a one off alcohol incident before or after this. It has also been proven in court that Stewart was in fact in full control that night. The 4 week suspension and the severity of the fine for Manly was unwarranted. I can cop a small fine for the Watmough incident, but that was hardly worth $100,000. The NRL punishment and the unrelenting media speculation and lies made Stewart look guilty and destroyed 18 months of his life.

Stewart, his family and friends, and everyone involved with the Manly club deserve to be pissed off with everyone that contributed to the last 18 months of hell for Stewart.

As for what Fatty said on behalf of the NRL after the interview, what a load of crap! The NRL had no troubles contacting Stewart when the wanted him to be the face of the game, yet during this 18 month ordeal they couldn't get through to him...... please. As for them making out like they stuck by him, read their statement and listen to what Fatty said.

Timmah, if this was Canterbury and one of their players you would be just as angry as us Manly fans. So don't tell other people how they should or shouldn't react.

edit: by the way Watmough was not stood down and played in round 1. Do you still think they suspension was alcohol related?

Last edited:

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
I left 3/4 of the way through because it was so f**king cold, and there was nothing to eat there.

Decent show, first time I have been and really enjoyed it.

But f**k that Stewart stuff was boring.

They had a sausage sizzle to the left of the crowd where you first walked in

Lego_Man

First Grade
It's funny what the game can give you, and what it can take away. He is just an example.

I now consider myself a Brett Stewart fan.

andrew057

First Grade
You're kidding yourself. They chucked the poor bloke under a bus. They presumed guilt and suspended him for 4 weeks. They said it was for alcohol abuse, but that is crap, no one else has been treated that harshly for a one off alcohol incident before or after this. It has also been proven in court that Stewart was in fact in full control that night. The 4 week suspension and the severity of the fine for Manly was unwarranted. I can cop a small fine for the Watmough incident, but that was hardly worth $100,000. The NRL punishment and the unrelenting media speculation and lies made Stewart look guilty and destroyed 18 months of his life.

Stewart, his family and friends, and everyone involved with the Manly club deserve to be pissed off with everyone that contributed to the last 18 months of hell for Stewart.

As for what Fatty said on behalf of the NRL after the interview, what a load of crap! The NRL had no troubles contacting Stewart when the wanted him to be the face of the game, yet during this 18 month ordeal they couldn't get through to him...... please. As for them making out like they stuck by him, read their statement and listen to what Fatty said.

Timmah, if this was Canterbury and one of their players you would be just as angry as us Manly fans. So don't tell other people how they should or shouldn't react.

edit: by the way Watmough was not stood down and played in round 1. Do you still think they suspension was alcohol related?

Good post. Unfortunately I doubt Timmah has the mental capacity to comprehend it.

gronkathon

First Grade
* They presumed guilt and suspended him for 4 weeks. They said it was for alcohol abuse, but that is crap, no one else has been treated that harshly for a one off alcohol incident before or after this.

*It has also been proven in court that Stewart was in fact in full control that night.

* The 4 week suspension and the severity of the fine for Manly was unwarranted.

* No guilt was assumed. He paid the price for being one of the faces of the game and stuffing up. Inglis copped a penalty of time away from the game as well each proportionate to the way they carried themselves. Stewarts abscence through injury has merely amplified Stewarts situation.

* Making a bit of an assumption there, the court found no such thing. They weighed the competing views of the events of that night. For all we know the jury may find that the word of a drunk person is more believable than a fraudster and his daughter with a history of mental illness.

* Manly didn't get fined enough for mine. That entire event was a clusterf**k of the highest order more akin to a Mad Monday than a season launch and the NRL punished them accordingly financially.

El Diablo

Post Whore

IIRC correctly the Roosters suspended players as did other clubs. Manly were the only club not to do so

stop f**king whinging

andrew057

First Grade
* No guilt was assumed. He paid the price for being one of the faces of the game and stuffing up. Inglis copped a penalty of time away from the game as well each proportionate to the way they carried themselves. Stewarts abscence through injury has merely amplified Stewarts situation.

How long was Greg suspended for? Did the Storm get fined $100k?

gronkathon

First Grade
How long was Greg suspended for? Did the Storm get fined $100k?

I believe 2 weeks was the time he was stood down for but I am not 100% on that.

Also if memory serves me correctly the standing down of Stewart was far harsher as Manly refused to do it themselves (The Storm learnt this lesson)

The Storm cannot be held financially responsible for a players behaviour at their own home or away from club sanctioned events. Manly was in full control of a club sanctioned event and it went badly wrong for two of it's players in Watmough and Stewart

andrew057

First Grade
I believe 2 weeks was the time he was stood down for but I am not 100% on that.

Also if memory serves me correctly the standing down of Stewart was far harsher as Manly refused to do it themselves (The Storm learnt this lesson)

The Storm cannot be held financially responsible for a players behaviour at their own home or away from club sanctioned events. Manly was in full control of a club sanctioned event and it went badly wrong for two of it's players in Watmough and Stewart

Cheers.

Why was Stewart suspended for 4 games? When Watmough who was the one who had the incident at the launch was free to play?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Could you post some sources for this? I can't remember this happening.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-year-from-hell/story-e6frexnr-1225775111248

- Brett Seymour (Sharks) fined $20,000 and banned for two games by club after video footage shows him drunk in public.

- Willie Mason (Roosters) stood down 1 week by club for drinking on non-authorised day.

- Nate Myles (Roosters) stood down 1 week by club for drinking on non-authorised day.

- Jamal Idris, Ben Barba (Bulldogs) stood down one week by club for drunken fight among teammates in RSL car park.

Latest posts