What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos Development Thread

Big Pete

Referee

hellteam

First Grade
I'd like to know more about Dane Gagai. I didn't really watch any of the under 20's this year (I prefer the Qld Cup), but saw highlights of him playing Junior Kangaroos last week and he looked like a great player..

What positions can he play? Is he a realistic chance for a position in our team next year?

Smiley

Bench
I know that he's related to Josh Hoffman. Played on the wing for the U/20s in 2009 but didn't have the same impact that he did this year at fullback.

Unless you went early to watch the U/20s at home games, you would have been lucky to see any of him with only like two games show on foxsports this year.

I believe its between him and Kemp for the vacant wing position.

Big Pete

Referee
Dane Gagai is a backline utility who came to the Broncos from Brisbane State High where he played inside centre and captained their 1st XV.

He's the cousin of fullback Josh Hoffman and as well as Josh, is related to Wendell Sailor.

Came to the Broncos as a fullback initally but he had problems positioning himself and was usually picked off very easy by opposition defences. He was shifted onto the wing where he was strong out of dummy half and had no problems finishing off tries.

In 2010 he replaced captain Todd Murphy at the back after Round 1 and never looked back from there. He was in firm control at the back and showed his hand as a lethal hole runner and something of a playmaker.

He's apart of the Broncos full-time senior squad for next season and has been ordered to bulk up.

In not so good news, apparently he was run down by a prop in today's game...

slammingsam

Juniors
Dane Gagai is a really good young player. He has an odd running style for mine. He can ball play well and plays tough. I didnt see the footage of him being run down today but 2 points..I have never considered him to be that quick and we dont really know what angle the prop was coming from..unless he took an intercept or something.

Didgi

What's the do with Andrew Clayton? And will Tariq Sims be good to go straight into first grade next year?

Big Pete

Referee
Clayton is off to the Sharks - he's a solid prop who can hit in both attack and defence.

Depends on his preseason Didgi. I'd imagine a lot of spots are open for the Cowboys and will come down to performances in the offseason.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I reckon T Sims will go straight into first grade. At least off the bench. An awesome buy for the Cowboys.

Bewildering that the Broncs let go their two best under 20's prop. Granted Clayton probably won't be anything that special. Sims on the other hand...

Big Pete

Referee
Eh, Tariq could end up just like Ashton for all we know. He certainly plays a similar style.

Smiley

Bench
2011 Toyota Cup squad according to Action photos.

Mboya Adams
Daniel Alvaro
Matthew Berwick
Caleb Binge
Chris Binge
Arthur Brown
BJ Burgess
Stephen Coombe
Rian Diffey
Tennyson Elliott
David Faamita
Louis Frisby
James Furminger
Tom Geraghty
Bryce Hegarty
Daniel Holmes
Jake Kelly
Chris Kuridrani
Jerome Leedy
Zac Lemberg
Ben Malley
Lachlan Maranta
Ben Reuter
Trent Richardson
Wata Setu
Matt Smith
Daniel Wallace
Jarrod Wallace
Kurt Warden
Danny White
Birrigan Young

link

Big Pete

Referee
I posted positions and where the players have come from in the NYC thread.

I just don't know where Matt Smith or Chris Kuridrani have come from.

Not too shabby though, with Baptiste, Whitchurch, Frei, Kahu and Cullen there we'll give it another shake.

Smiley

Bench
Cheers Pete.

Not much previous NYC experience in the list but excited to see how they go.

Hopefully more of their games on tv this year too.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah, that's the biggest disappointment about being a Channel 9 cash cow, we rarely get to see NYC games.

I should be attending more games next season (could only budget for one Broncos game this year) so hopefully I'll be able to produce more reports.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hey Pete, any idea of the most likely under 20's team out of that squad assuming that all of Kurt Baptiste, Aaron Whitchurch, Jordan Kahu, Mitchell Frei and Cameron Cullen are available?

Big Pete

Referee
Hmmm tough question mate as I haven't seen a lot of these new guys and of course a lot changes during the preseason. I'm also unsure whether or not that's the full squad as Seaton, Lang-Siu, Peteru-Barnett, Lucas and a few others haven't been listed.

There would be a few certainties, something along the lines of...

1. Lachlan Maranta
2. Jordan Kahu
3. Aaron Whitchurch
4. Jerome Leedy
6. Bryce Hegarty
7. Louis Frisby
9. Kurt Baptiste
11. Mitchell Frei
12. Tennyson Elliot
13. Benn Malley

17. Chris Binge

Aside from Leedy, I hear Cullen is set to be the next McCullough/Baptiste, as in our new star junior hooker.

Caleb is supposed to be the talent of the family, and is famous for being called a black merkin by Timana Tahu.

Burgess, Alvaro, Kelly and Berwick are all AIS players (alongside Leedy) and Cullen is a Schoolboy player.

Big Pete

Referee
I did some research earlier and this is what I dug up...

Cullen is the next star junior hooker after Baptiste. Is currently on tour with the schoolboys but a very gritty competitor.

Caleb is the talent of the family, big bopper who plays up front, made famous by Tahu yadda yadda yadda.

BJ I posted an article on earlier and he seems like a kid with his head screwed on right. Hearing very mixed reports about him but was good enough to play AIS footy, he plays on the wing.

Alvaro is a prop the Broncos specifically picked up from Country NSW. Very good talent apparently.

Jake Kelly is a mobile backrow capable of slicing opposition lines apart.

Berwick is a fullback/centre from Dalby.

Jerome Leedy is a star centre who has the ability to become the next Hodges, came through Norths.

Stephen Coombes is another front rower from the AIS squad. From the Central Coast and is said to play with a lot of ticker.

Arthur Brown and Tom Geraghty come from the Sunshine Coast. Brown was with the Broncos back in 2008 when he was only 17, big fellow too who can play the mobile second row/centre hybrid role. Geraghty I haven't heard about.

Diffey, Faamita, Lemberg and Furminger come from the Jets. All good prospects according to Hanc, but he is a mad Jets fan.

Reuter is from Gatton and can play prop, centre and wing. Has good foot-work and apparently tore Norths Devils apart in a MMC match.

Trent Richardson is from Norths Devils where he plays in the forwards and was awarded the Colts forward of the year.

Jarrod Wallace comes from the Gold Coast Titans NYC where he made a number of good hard runs up the middle.

Danny White comes from the Sydney Roosters NYC and can play in the backrow and at five eigth.

Kurt Warden comes from Newcastle and played AIS football when he was only 16 years old. A backrow who has stepped up to every competition he's been in.

Birrigan Young comes from Manly Sea Eagles NYC, plays prop and is famous for being dropped on his head in a dangerous spear tackle.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Jerome Leedy is a star centre who has the ability to become the next Hodges, came through Norths.

Mate I love the sound of that.

Thanks for digging up all the info. I'm really looking forward to see who makes the team and how they go in 2011. Sounds like some very good prospects. Although never heard of someone who can play prop and wing!

Latest posts