What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos Development Thread

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Well he does come from Gatton.

Actually it's surprising to note just how many props started off as wingers. Josh McGuire for instance, Fui Fui Moi Moi and even the great Civoniceiva started their careers on the wing.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Thanks for that info Big Pete. Good to get a bit of info on our young fellas. Like some have already said I hope we get more games televised next year. Plus I hope I can get to some games this time too. :)

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I did some research earlier and this is what I dug up...

Cullen is the next star junior hooker after Baptiste. Is currently on tour with the schoolboys but a very gritty competitor.

Caleb is the talent of the family, big bopper who plays up front, made famous by Tahu yadda yadda yadda.

BJ I posted an article on earlier and he seems like a kid with his head screwed on right. Hearing very mixed reports about him but was good enough to play AIS footy, he plays on the wing.

Alvaro is a prop the Broncos specifically picked up from Country NSW. Very good talent apparently.

Jake Kelly is a mobile backrow capable of slicing opposition lines apart.

Berwick is a fullback/centre from Dalby.

Jerome Leedy is a star centre who has the ability to become the next Hodges, came through Norths.

Stephen Coombes is another front rower from the AIS squad. From the Central Coast and is said to play with a lot of ticker.

Arthur Brown and Tom Geraghty come from the Sunshine Coast. Brown was with the Broncos back in 2008 when he was only 17, big fellow too who can play the mobile second row/centre hybrid role. Geraghty I haven't heard about.

Diffey, Faamita, Lemberg and Furminger come from the Jets. All good prospects according to Hanc, but he is a mad Jets fan.

Reuter is from Gatton and can play prop, centre and wing. Has good foot-work and apparently tore Norths Devils apart in a MMC match.

Trent Richardson is from Norths Devils where he plays in the forwards and was awarded the Colts forward of the year.

Jarrod Wallace comes from the Gold Coast Titans NYC where he made a number of good hard runs up the middle.

Danny White comes from the Sydney Roosters NYC and can play in the backrow and at five eigth.

Kurt Warden comes from Newcastle and played AIS football when he was only 16 years old. A backrow who has stepped up to every competition he's been in.

Birrigan Young comes from Manly Sea Eagles NYC, plays prop and is famous for being dropped on his head in a dangerous spear tackle.

My views for what they are worth.

Cullen is far better value as a 7. He is the best 7 in the Broncs squad. He plays with great lines and is a great ball player. I would hate to see the broncs waste him at 9. Only concern I have he is very small, similar build to Daniel Mortimer and his defence is suspect.

Berwick has definite prospects. I like him.

Burgess only has prospects if they play him on the wing.

Caleb Binge has not grown since he was 15. Better suited in the back row now.

Alvaro didn't come up as well last season as the year before. Might not be ready for NYC until 2012.

Leedy has great footwork but hasn't grown for years and is finished growing. If he stays a centre he will be the smallest centre playing NYC. He will be targetted in defence.

Coombes was injured last season. Has prospects on what he showed before that. Plays a real old fashioned tough prop's game.

Brown hasn't finished a season at the one club for 4 years. His motivation is his biggest hurdle.

Geraghty isn't ready for NYC next season.

Kelly needs a season in Colts to fill out. 2012 will be his season. It's asking a bit to expect 18yos to play in the pack in NYC.

Richardson is a tough kid with a high work rate. Will go good in NYC.

Warden is now a front rower. He hasn't the leg speed for back back.

Young will definitely measure up in NYC.

Lang Sui played well last year for the Eels. He will be in the NYC pack all year.

footy1

Juniors
I think the team to start the season would be:

1. Jordan Kahu
2. BJ Burgess
3. Aaron Whitchurch
4. Jerome Leedy
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Danny White
7. Louis Frisby
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Jake Seaton
11. Mitchell Frei
12. Fred Lang-Sui
13. Benn Malley

14. Waita Setu
15. Mboya Adams
16. Tennyson Elliott
17. Chris Binge

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Hmmm tough question mate as I haven't seen a lot of these new guys and of course a lot changes during the preseason. I'm also unsure whether or not that's the full squad as Seaton, Lang-Siu, Peteru-Barnett, Lucas and a few others haven't been listed.

There would be a few certainties, something along the lines of...

1. Lachlan Maranta
2. Jordan Kahu
3. Aaron Whitchurch
4. Jerome Leedy
6. Bryce Hegarty
7. Louis Frisby
9. Kurt Baptiste
11. Mitchell Frei
12. Tennyson Elliot
13. Benn Malley

17. Chris Binge

Aside from Leedy, I hear Cullen is set to be the next McCullough/Baptiste, as in our new star junior hooker.

Caleb is supposed to be the talent of the family, and is famous for being called a black merkin by Timana Tahu.

Burgess, Alvaro, Kelly and Berwick are all AIS players (alongside Leedy) and Cullen is a Schoolboy player.

I think peteru-barnett has moved (back??) to Auckland.
Havent seen him play yet but heard he is quality.

Would he have two more years left??

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I think peteru-barnett has moved (back??) to Auckland.
Havent seen him play yet but heard he is quality.

Would he have two more years left??

He has 2 years left in NYC. He played on the bench for Norths Mal Meninga (U18) last year. Dropped the ball every second time it was passed to him. Slower than a snail. Fitness level is terrible. Overweight, has chronic inoperable knee injury. Wouldn't make it to 8 in a beep test.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
He has 2 years left in NYC. He played on the bench for Norths Mal Meninga (U18) last year. Dropped the ball every second time it was passed to him. Slower than a snail. Fitness level is terrible. Overweight, has chronic inoperable knee injury. Wouldn't make it to 8 in a beep test.

Well obviously Warriors saw something in him.(if he has been signed)
Warriors would have best forward pack in comp imo - well heaps of depth so if he does play NYC perhaps he is not the bad or his injuries have come along.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Well obviously Warriors saw something in him.(if he has been signed)
Warriors would have best forward pack in comp imo - well heaps of depth so if he does play NYC perhaps he is not the bad or his injuries have come along.

Yep your right. 20 mins in an end of season trial on a cold day against a mob of hacks. He had a blinder, never dropped the ball. He carved them.

I have seen him play several games over 2 seasons. I back the Broncos judgement of punting him.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Yep your right. 20 mins in an end of season trial on a cold day against a mob of hacks. He had a blinder, never dropped the ball. He carved them.

I have seen him play several games over 2 seasons. I back the Broncos judgement of punting him.

Well hopefully for his case and warriors it was boot in the ass.
Warriors NYC props will all be freshmen so at least he will have a chance to stake a claim.

Big Pete

Referee
I saw him play last year and he was really just a raw talent in the NYC at the time.

But in regards to mobility he did play in the centres at one point and I believe he did alright.

I believe next season will be a big year for him.

Smiley

Bench
Reminds me of Carroll and Tate.

If size of chin relates to talent, this kids got bucket loads. :D