What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young guns to be halves

Young guns to be halves
BY BRAD FORREST
04 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

CRONULLA Sharks coach Shane Flanagan looks set to name rookies Wade Graham and Albert Kelly as his halves pairing when he announces his team at the club dinner tonight to mark the opening to the 2011 NRL season.

The Sharks travel to Canberra for their opening game on Sunday week, with the Raiders set to announce former Sharks winger Blake Ferguson in their team.

The Sharks will launch their season with a powerful pack, boosted by Jeremy Smith, the former Storm and Dragon Kiwi international, a dual grand final winner and New Zealand's top forward in the past few years.

Smith, who escaped any penalty after he was penalised and put on report for an alleged tripping, will provide a great foil to fellow Test star, Paul Gallen.

Along with Origin forward Kade Snowden, Luke Douglas, former Test forward Anthony Tupou, Jon Mannah and the experienced Josh Cordoba, there is little doubt about the merits of Flanagan's pack this season.

The question mark is, and always has been: just who will line up in the backs?

Sharks insiders say Flanagan will give the exciting young but inexperienced Kelly and the talented former Penrith half/five eighth Wade Graham time to develop their combination, after Graham's pre-season was cursed by a hamstring injury.

Their combination will go a long way to proving how successful or not the Sharks are this season. Both players have bulked up in the off season.

Returning winger/centre Colin Best and the equally tall John Williams look likely to be given wing spots, while Ben Pomeroy, Matt Wright and Dean Collis will fight it out at training this week for the vacant centre spots.

Flanagan, unhappy with the side's handling in the club's two trials against Manly and Newcastle, was giving his squad another late-week hit-out before considering his first team.

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/young-guns-to-be-halves/2093047.aspx

Yet again I learnt nothing From Bradley Forrest. Thanks though BS.

Actually I found two things interesting in that snippet.

One that Nathan Stapleton wasn't mentioned after being widely tipped to be our goal kicker and taking one wing spot.

Secondly that Matt Wright has certainly impressed Flanno and really is in the mix for a starting spot in the back line.

Special K

Coach
1. Gardner
2. Williams
3. Wright
4. Pom
5. Best
6. Kelly
7. Graham

Hmm... Guess we will find out tonight?

imasharkie

Coach
Pommeroy in the centre's is a disgraceful decision.

Gardiner
Wright
Best
Collis
Williams/Tongia
Kelly
Graham

Pommeroy = NSW Cup

chewsta

First Grade
I know our backs are well documented as being our weak point but I'm really looking forward to watching the Kelly / Graham combination. It's about time we had a couple of young unpredictable blokes given a go. All the best to them both I say!

sharks8601

Juniors
pom has always had bad hands since the Juniors at penrith. he just needs early ball. not flat balls at the line

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
i dont think his hands are that bad They just werent real good whilst he was wearing an almost plaster cast over his hand & having deadening needles. He played damaged because the club was out of players & to his own detriment. I hope Albert follows him & not just the forwards. Pom beats the first tackle every time & simple little wrap by Albert will pay dividends. KEarney used to follow Pomm for Sticky, but , well we lost him too.

shaggs

Coach
His hands were damaged. kept splitting the webbing and getting it stitched week after week.

Wasn't until the plastic surgeon repaired it properly and let it, half way through last year that he started to improve again.

He was pretty good in 2008, running those angles. No reason he cant get back to that form.

cb4

First Grade
His hands must need more surgery, they have been woeful in the trials. That said on his day he is a good ball runner and a capable center.

Latest posts