What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Stadium roof buckling under high winds, could collapse

Goddo

Bench
We've been killing our industry since the 70's.

We dig the shit up.
Send it overseas for pennies.
They process it.
Then send it back to us for dollars.

Australia is the lucky country only because of our mineral wealth. We seem incapable of fully capitalising on it.

Because our mineral resources and higher education push our ecconomy up it means we can't compete with foreign countries cheap work forces (such as 1.2B Chinese who will work for rice money).

It has always been so - resource rich countries export to large population nations/centres which are resource poor. The alternative is conquest and colonisation.

The large population allows for a bigger, diverse and advanced industrial capacity. Think British Empire, Roman Empire, USA... China is just the most recent example. So long as the large population nation has food security. The bigger question how do we accomodate a rising China, when every time its happened in the past it has ended in a major global war.

The only way Australia can get a slice of that industrial pie is by focusing on cutting edge technology, or protectionism (which leads to nationalism, arms races and what not - which is why the international community agreed to gradually tear down protectionism post WWII). Or focus on service/financial sector - at least by investing in foreign growth the wealth comes back here.

Once the Chinese ecconomy modernises and their GDP goes up, their birth rate will slow, and their industry will go on to the next industrialising nation. We are already seeing it with growth in Vietnam and Indonesia.

You can't fight it, just adapt and move on.

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
They've got cranes there today working on it. I'd imagine it'll be fix and ready well before the season kicks off next year.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Parra

Referee
Yes. Tax will fix it.

Is there a problem tax can't fix? Or insurance?

How about we blacklist the merkins who built this piece of shite and the people who signed off on the inspections and the place that sold the junkyard quality steel?

Nah, f**k it, let's just tax unrelated companies and people. The standard, lazy, indecisive response.

perverse

Referee
Because our mineral resources and higher education push our ecconomy up it means we can't compete with foreign countries cheap work forces (such as 1.2B Chinese who will work for rice money).

It has always been so - resource rich countries export to large population nations/centres which are resource poor. The alternative is conquest and colonisation.

The large population allows for a bigger, diverse and advanced industrial capacity. Think British Empire, Roman Empire, USA... China is just the most recent example. So long as the large population nation has food security. The bigger question how do we accomodate a rising China, when every time its happened in the past it has ended in a major global war.

The only way Australia can get a slice of that industrial pie is by focusing on cutting edge technology, or protectionism (which leads to nationalism, arms races and what not - which is why the international community agreed to gradually tear down protectionism post WWII). Or focus on service/financial sector - at least by investing in foreign growth the wealth comes back here.

Once the Chinese ecconomy modernises and their GDP goes up, their birth rate will slow, and their industry will go on to the next industrialising nation. We are already seeing it with growth in Vietnam and Indonesia.

f**k, i think i just learned something. did i stumble into the wrong forum?

well said! people that whine about our lack of secondary industry shit me to tears... and they usually have no idea what the f**k they're talking about. they almost always have a southern cross tattoo... funnily enough...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
well said! people that whine about our lack of secondary industry shit me to tears... and they usually have no idea what the f**k they're talking about. they almost always have a southern cross tattoo... funnily enough...

nothing wrong with people who have southern cross tattoos!

i've got a great one i had done whilst i was travelling through vietnam cause it was cheaper to get it done over there..

flamin

Juniors

Very good, but China has had a similar fertility rate to Australia since the early 90s. In fact, it in recent years it has dipped below Australia's.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Completely different circumstances. Norths demise came about because they needed Graham Park to meet the "criteria". Saints can just play 12 games at Kogarah next year and don't have the cash problems Norths had.

Thanks Ronnie for the sincere reply mate!

Perth Red is right though. Mining magnates cannot afford to pay a rent resources tax on stuff they mine. They can, however, buy NRL sides as a hobby.

I guess competing with cheap labour overseas will forever be our problem here with manfacturing. But gee the local steel manufacturing business underpinned a couple of big cities. There is something wrong with importing steel to Wollongong.

Loudstrat

Coach
nah, i'm a cleanskin...

but i'm sure there would be a few out there who would have gotten their southern cross tattoo overseas..
Yes, places like New Zealand, Argentina, South Africa, Brazil, Fiji, Tonga, Chile.......

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes. Tax will fix it.

Is there a problem tax can't fix? Or insurance?

How about we blacklist the merkins who built this piece of shite and the people who signed off on the inspections and the place that sold the junkyard quality steel?

Nah, f**k it, let's just tax unrelated companies and people. The standard, lazy, indecisive response.

WTF? No I don't think a mining tax will fix Win stadiums buckled roof!:crazy:

However using some of the MASSIVE profits these mining companies make from taking Australias resources out of the ground and selling them overseas should be reinvested to ensure Australia has other industries and work for its population. A country as mineral rich as Australia should have the worlds best health, education, sports facilities and virtually zero unemployment.

But I digress back to Win's buckling roof.......

Parra

Referee
Profit is good. That is why the mining companies are here in the first place.

The failed proposal for another mining tax has no place in this thread.

docbrown

Coach

Australia isn't adapting, it's just digging holes in the ground. That's not long term sustainability, it's short term profitability. People are blinded by the "oh the stuff will never run out" propaganda. Meanwhile our country can't decide if it wants to be a resources or services nation - but we're competing against EU countries that have dominated the services sector for more than 50-100 years, not to mention the countless rising financial capitals in Asia. Yet why do we think that we can compete on those terms when we in that scenario we have the populations and numbers working against us?

We have the knowledge, the power and most importantly the capability of being the world foremost technological research nation - but instead we create next to nothing and have killed of what little potential manufacturing support base we had. An idea is worthless unless it is realised and you own the base of production.

As for China, the war won't be fought with guns and bombs. It will be fought with debt buy outs, artificial inflation of growth rates and the long term "conquest" of our financial capital. Why invade a country when it's cheaper to buy it slowly over time?

The ultimate irony being of course that the capitalists fall might very well come from their own machinations.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Wow...
Have gone from a roof collapsing in Wollongong to the cost of cheap labour to inferior quality products to collapsing economies around the world to........

All in under 100 posts

Parra

Referee
1. Don't buy any bottled water and we'll all be OK.

2. Tax everything else

3. ??????

4. Renamed to greed to suit commo perths agenda

Latest posts