What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomahawks v Tonga

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Read it as far as Union.

RL doesn't need the other code, wtf is going on?

No offence at the Union code at all, but wtf?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Nice to see Tonga getting a match, and it seems like most of the WC nations will be playing mid-season internationals which is good news. Hopefully the Pacific nations can get something going at the end of the season too.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Read it as far as Union.

I dont see what the problem with playing two codes are? The people of hawaii watch and play both so it a good idea to draw more people to the game.
At least its the main game

Fatwing15

Juniors
Read it as far as Union.

The 2 codes working together are a good thing in the US. Most people don't know the difference between the two, so it's just an attempt to get as many people out to watch rugby as possible. Most league players in the US play union. I think converting union players and college football players to league players is the best way to build a strong roster over here.
I bet there was at least 10 league players playing in the Union game before the Tomahawks on St. Patricks Day

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I dont see what the problem with playing two codes are? The people of hawaii watch and play both so it a good idea to draw more people to the game.
At least its the main game

Can you imagine union allowing league to be played as the build up to a union internation at any level?

joshreading

Staff member
I think it is great to see a RL international being played in Hawaii, and I am non - plussed regarding Union's presence but would it not be better to have the high school teams play their first game of RL before the main match? and the women RL?

Hawaii has been hyped up and there is no doubt there is potential in regards to players, expansion but I am far from convinced anyone is really taking RL seriously there. It seems from all my watching it is considered nothing more than a variation similar to 7's. I think we need to have more confidence in our game.

billy2

Juniors
Setting up a day with a lot of Tongan cultural activities seems like a good idea, and if that includes women and children playing union, so be it.

Tongans will already have firm ideas about League v Union. We won't change that.

Last edited:

mother rucker

Juniors
NCAA collage American football teams that have MILLION DOLLAR programs and 10’s of 1000’s of fans don’t travel to Hawaii, because of the cost. University of Hawaii is passed over every year by teams that they want to play. Little American sports history for ya.

With that, I hope that the USA team that Nui and Vassy have selected know that they are going to play. Because the tickets aren’t cheap. The link that I have provided gives an example of cost with 1 bag fee from Philadelphia PA to Hawaii. Granted that I don’t know what day they want the team there but one would suspect that they need a week to train and hype up the match.
With a guesstimation of 10 stateside players going and 10 Hawiian based players being selected and 4 staff members/over head. The cost for tickets for the Tomahawks to fly from Philadelphia is $11,326.00 as of today 3/30/2012. With the AMNRL still owing the Jacksonville Axemen for the 2010 Atlantic cup, I don’t think that they have this kinda cash to be spending. So one would assume that the players will have to flip the bill.

Using the same site, just changing the flight to Jacksonville where Apple Pope will fly from. The ticket is $859.00.

So through all that my questions are: How many Real Tomahawks are gonna play in this match? What type of exposure is it gonna provide the main land states, where they can’t even fill the stands? And why not focus on the Western states, where the expansion is?

http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/PHL-HNL/2012-05-07/2012-05-14

mother rucker

Juniors
The AMNRL have turned the hounor of wearing the USA kit into a joke. By letting everyone and their Mom be selected for the Tomahawks. Unless their Mom supports the USARL.

DaBulls

Juniors
Just a thought.......maybe Tonga needs to control their costs as well so playing in Hawaii is the perfect middle point and compromise. Have you used kayak.com to price the flights from Tonga?

DaBears

Juniors
Wow!
So one guy with no direct involvement with the AMNRL makes an assumption and everyone takes it as the truth & all the haters run with it.
The AMNRL are only a couple weeks removed from a very successful day with the Donnybrook Cup and deserve the benefit of the doubt... nobody hear on this board has any direct knowledge of finances or inner workings of what is going on.

Tired of all the AMNRL bashing. If there is anyway to split this forum in two, I'm sure a lot of followers would come back to this forum...The bashing has become old & tiresome & this board is only left to all the USARL fanboys (I'm also a fan but of both comps) and the haters who have nothing better to do.

A separate board where both leagues were talked about & not destroyed would be great IMO

mother rucker

Juniors
Wow!
So one guy with no direct involvement with the AMNRL makes an assumption and everyone takes it as the truth & all the haters run with it.
The AMNRL are only a couple weeks removed from a very successful day with the Donnybrook Cup and deserve the benefit of the doubt... nobody hear on this board has any direct knowledge of finances or inner workings of what is going on.

Tired of all the AMNRL bashing. If there is anyway to split this forum in two, I'm sure a lot of followers would come back to this forum...The bashing has become old & tiresome & this board is only left to all the USARL fanboys (I'm also a fan but of both comps) and the haters who have nothing better to do.

A separate board where both leagues were talked about & not destroyed would be great IMO

First off I merely showed examples of the costs that it would take to get the team to Hawaii. As I stated. You could use any travel sight that you like, I just picked Kayak.
As for it being a middle ground for both teams. That is a valid point. And no Kayak doesn’t have flights from Tonga to Hawaii, so maybe they are coming by boat.
As for the "AMNRL bashing". Fan or not what they have done to the players of RL in the USA is BS. David Nui and Vassy turned their backs on players that respected and played for them on the Tomahawks. They don’t care about rugby league in the USA just themselves. I’ve said it before and here it comes again. The Tomahawks are nothing more then an AMNRL select side. With and Aussie and Britt telling American players that they can’t play for their country.. If you don't like the truth don't listen.

DaBulls

Juniors
Wow!

Amen!

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Those players and their clubs turned on the competition that gave them their start, so you can't use a loyalty sob story. The only players from the USARL that would make the team have joined the AMNRL.

Those players and their clubs turned on the competition that gave them their start, so you can't use a loyalty sob story. The only players from the USARL that would make the team have joined the AMNRL.

The competition that gave them their start turned on them.

Your absolutely Delusional if you think that the players that are being discriminated against in the USARL couldn't make the Tomahawks. Some players have choose to actually play Rugby League for an entire season instead of one or two competitive matches a year. Furthermore some players don't have the Luxury of moving or commuting 4 hours away to play for 'teams', and others prefer to actually play for a team.

http://rebellion-rugby.com/index.php/purchase-tickets Thats a Link to Purchase tickets to our games, buy one and have a look for yourself.

Last edited: