What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos are geting worse

Which are the best club logos re representing their area or heritage, or marketing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Fourex

Bench
cool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Gotta agree with the OP, pirates and logo is one of the worst i've seen.

west coast pirates vs wests tigers.....does not compute.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Their is no such bird as a Sea Eagle in Manly or anywhere else for that matter. So I don't see any area relevance to the logo.

I probably should have added the Sharks to my list.

:lol: Just saw this beauty, keep 'em coming moses...

DC_fan

Coach
But then again has anyone seen a Panther in Penrith?

I have seen a few Roosters in Bondi though.

Loudstrat

Coach
Dunno - given that they play at Brookvale.

Really, you are as stupid as Fourex. The link has been explained already. When was the last time someone saw a rabbit in Redfern ffs?

Thinking about the abysmal Pirates thing - the stupidity of the former Perth Reds bid is that it basically gives up the link it had to the old Reds. I am sure the name Perth Reds, or Western Reds, is easy to associate for people in WA. There is the thing about "bringing back the Reds" into the comp - which has been at the core of the WARL since they paid for their SL stupidity with their death all those years ago.

Now all of a sudden Backdoor Benny and his stupid mining mate have decided to launch a rival bid - and the Reds dump their trump card - their name.

Now, when people talk about the Pirates bid, the average Joe in WA wont know whether it is the WARL bid or their rivals!

images

Last edited:

dimitri

First Grade
It's an interesting question; how did Bulldogs, Panthers & Tigers get their names?

In an effort to have an official animal mascot like other teams, Canterbury-Bankstown ran a competition/poll through their local papers.

Bulldogs obviously won

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Tigers from the blackwattle (black and gold when in bloom) that ringed the bays in the Balmain area until the early 1920s. Before that Balmain was also known as 'the watersiders'.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Storm is by far the worst. No differentiation from other cities.

No 's' on the end. I hate when people say "I like the Melbourne Storms", just as much as I hate when people say "Jarrod Mullens".

Surely with a whole city they could have decided upon something more Iconic than a weather event experience just about everywhere else in Australia.

I guess its harder to think of names for expansion team names as they need an edge in marketability over the rest. But surely they could have thought of something better. A storm has very little appeal to people, a lot of smaller kids are even scared of them.

Loudstrat

Coach
Agree. I remember John Ribot ran a competition to come up with a logo and colour scheme. Obviously the only person who entered was a colourblind wino with palsy! :lol:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Agree. I remember John Ribot ran a competition to come up with a logo and colour scheme. Obviously the only person who entered was a colourblind wino with palsy! :lol:

So at least one souffs fan knows how it feels to win something.

beave

Coach
I remember the original names for the melbourne team during the 1995 season when the war first broke was going to be 'Royals' and then changed to 'Mavericks' with a deck of cards as the logo. f**k knows who came up with 'Storm' or the logo but it's a bit meh in my eyes. They needed to stick to the original jersey and colours though, everything they've worn since has been shithouse.

jonno_knights

Juniors

Would have been better off adopting the State colours, Navy with the White V.

Its good enough for the victory, and to a degree the Rebels. They seemed to be on the right track early on with a majority navy design with the lightning forming a V, and the yellow collars weren't too bad to differentiate from existing teams with similar colours. But more and more purple has appeared ever since.

One thing I can say though, apart from the Storm our team logos/mascots are nowhere near as bad at the A-League. They seem to bring out more and more horrible names with each expansion team.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Storm makes sense in terms of shitty weather in Melbourne.

Broncos & Titans is hands down the worst. "Americanism" at it's finest. It's a Brumbie FFS.