What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City v Country teams named

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sure, he can tackle and run, and will admit I do not watch every Canberra game, but when I do, TLL, Shillo, Wighton, Lee, catch my eye, cannot recall Fensom making a break, slipping a ball, supporting....he does not seem to miss tackles, but don't recall a great cover one either, so yeah vanilla.

No lack of effort, but no reason for reps.

typicalfan

Coach
Fensom suffers from the same non selection issues as Hindmarsh. Not surprising considering their similar players. Hindmarsh would probably hold the record for the most trysaving tackles by a forward or last ditch efforts whether it is in vain or not.

RWB

Bench
Sure, he can tackle and run, and will admit I do not watch every Canberra game, but when I do, TLL, Shillo, Wighton, Lee, catch my eye, cannot recall Fensom making a break, slipping a ball, supporting....he does not seem to miss tackles, but don't recall a great cover one either, so yeah vanilla.

No lack of effort, but no reason for reps.

And? He's not a centre or 5/8... his role is to make metres and keep the middle third tight in defence.

His defence is immense, if you haven't seen him making try savers you're obviously not watching close enough.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So Croker isn't even the "best young centre" in Canberra.

LOL.

Croker has played better this year. Wighton has a higher ceiling and is a much better natural defender which is possibly why he was picked.

edit
I mean he broke Nielsens ribs with a fairly straight forward tackle. For a player of his size he hurts people in tackles. So maybe they identify a player like that as more potentially useful.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
A good lock does, occasionally.

lol, maybe back in the 90's.

Lock's a position where you need a strong defender and someone who can give you go forward. There's some variation across the 16 NRL sides but not the extent where there's good ball playing locks currently running around in the comp anymore.

All the creative forwards play on the fringes (Mateo, SBW, Graham etc..)

typicalfan

Coach
Well Merrin can play 80 and has a killer offload to go with the awesome workrate. Anyone that can provide that extra dimension will be seen more favourably.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mitch rein should have been picked ahead of Michael ennis

Albert Kelly is a better option then Mccrone too

aussies1st

Staff member
Mateo and Williams shows City doesn't have much depth left if they are being picked on what they have shown this year.

RWB

Bench
Well Merrin can play 80 and has a killer offload to go with the awesome workrate. Anyone that can provide that extra dimension will be seen more favourably.

Not even in the same league as Fensom in defence. Both workrate and technique.

Merrin will offer good impact off the bench up front if he can finally transfer his club form to rep level.

I thought we were finally over the temptation to pick attacking forwards galore after watching us compete so hard on the back of great defensive performances. Obviously not though...

typicalfan

Coach
Not even in the same league as Fensom in defence. Both workrate and technique.

Merrin will offer good impact off the bench up front if he can finally transfer his club form to rep level.

I thought we were finally over the temptation to pick attacking forwards galore after watching us compete so hard on the back of great defensive performances. Obviously not though...
You would prefer both players in your side but if I had to choose I would pick Merrin every day of the week and I rate Fensom highly. He is only starting to realise his potential imo while Fensom is an honest toiler with a great workrate. That said Fensom is unlucky, but he is more unlucky that Merrin didn't snag a bench spot for Australia.

Looking forward to seeing how Williams goes with a 5/8 beside him that doesn't try and take control, and plays like a 5/8 should

watatank

Coach
Country halves of Maloney/McCrone look so uninspiring. Williams should start in McCrone's spot at the very least. I would also have rather seen Roberts or Kelly given a shot. Sure they may be relatively young and inexperienced but no more than the likes of Cordner, Jackson, etc.

Ladmate

Bench
Would love to see a Adam Reynolds/Farah combination in action. If they go well surely Daley has to rethink his plans.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gordon has been playing better than Stewart.

Can't believe Lawrence was picked.