What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nintendo NX - Next Gen Harware Concept

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
i'll probably buy it because 1) i'm a bit of a nintendo fan boy and 2) I don't really care about the latest gfx/cpu power in a console, because my pc will blow every console out of the water (and i can upgrade it at will).

the past few consoles nintendo haven't been about being at the cutting edge of raw power, the fact they've angled their console to a different market is why they've been successful (wii anyway, wii u was a bit ehh)

Firey_Dragon

Coach
This is make or break for nintendo in the console space. They'll no doubt come out with some stupid gimmick that'll push away gamers with a high attach rate.

Rumours are it is more powerful than PS4, but with the PS4 Neo coming out in October, they'll probably be behind again. I can't see any hardcore gamers snapping this up immediately, it'll be a waiting game and possibly hurt 3rd party development again.

I just hope they launch it with a proper controller, instead of having that as an accessory. If they do that, then they're well on their way towards correcting what has been almost 15 years of terrible design choices.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
i'll probably buy it because 1) i'm a bit of a nintendo fan boy and 2) I don't really care about the latest gfx/cpu power in a console, because my pc will blow every console out of the water (and i can upgrade it at will).

the past few consoles nintendo haven't been about being at the cutting edge of raw power, the fact they've angled their console to a different market is why they've been successful (wii anyway, wii u was a bit ehh)

They haven't been successful at all, that's their problem. Even the Wii while having massive sale numbers in the first couple of years had terrible attach rates for games which is where manufacturers make their money. The handheld space has been carrying nintendo pretty much since the gameboy came out. Gamecube was a great console, without great sales numbers. They've been getting crushed by Sony and Microsoft.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
dunno, i don't pay much attention to the video game market but when the Wii console outsells every competitor (and sells over 100million units world wide), to me that's an indication that it's successful.

i don't know anything about attach rates or other metrics that are used to judge their success.

Pommy

Coach
I honestly wish they would just give up on home consoles and be a great developer for PS4 and Xbox whilst continuing with their handhelds.
I would buy most major Mario, Zelda, DK titles etc if I just didn't have to buy another console to play them on.

Storm13

Juniors
I think some people forgot how big a company Nintendo is when they say things like they should go third party, it's quite hilarious.

If you go by some of the reliable rumors that are being floated around I think we will be able to safely say it wont be a WiiU repeat.

Parra Pride

Coach
I remember reading an article that said Nintendo could operate at a loss for about 40 years before they'd be running out of cash, which is probably the point we'd have to get to before they even began considering letting things like Zelda and Mario grace another console.

perverse

Referee
While it's true that games sales drive profits in the console market by and large, Nintendo made a profit on every Wii console from day 1, which is unusual in that Microsoft and Sony generally sell their consoles at a loss up front to get the install base, and wait for the tech to come down in price before they actually spin any money from the hardware. I don't know about the Wii U, but I'd be surprised if they lost much money there, either.

Nintendo will be fine. The video game industry would be much poorer in its absence.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
While it's true that games sales drive profits in the console market by and large, Nintendo made a profit on every Wii console from day 1, which is unusual in that Microsoft and Sony generally sell their consoles at a loss up front to get the install base, and wait for the tech to come down in price before they actually spin any money from the hardware. I don't know about the Wii U, but I'd be surprised if they lost much money there, either.

Nintendo will be fine. The video game industry would be much poorer in its absence.

It's true that the Wii launched at a profit, it's margins were pretty low when it made the bulk of the sales though.

They've shown signs that they are willing to move off platform, mobile being one of them. The handheld business has been a cash cow, Wii had a crazy amount of console sales, but unfortunately many of those sales didn't translate into anything beyond Wii Sports and a couple of Mario games, when compared to the higher cost of the 360 / PS3, online services and double the attach rate for those consoles, they more than made up for the ~20 million console windfall to the Wii. They really need to get third parties onboard for the NX or they will continue to struggle, the Wii U was a colossal failure (12M sales, the PS4 overtook it after 2 months with a year head start), if they struggle with this release I fear they may go down the path of Sega.

They need to launch a console with competitive specs, cut down on the gimmicks and have a decent online platform. If they can do all three, they'll be in good stead, if not, they'll have a console that hardcore nintendo fans will snap up but be facing another ghost town eco-system 3 or 4 years down the line again. There are a lot of scorned Wii U owners out there, they need to do it right or it doesn't matter how much cash they have in the bank, they'll become a niche product.

Last edited:

Storm13

Juniors
Not sure as of now but a couple of years ago Nintendo was a bigger company than the whole of Sony. Nintendo can't hide their failures/financial like Microsoft and Sony can. I'm surprised more so at their being two similar consoles/games operating in this climate which surely wont last for to much longer???

If rumors are to believed than third parties could be back on Nintendo side as they seemed to have finally made a console where developers can easily port a game over without a fuss. And typical Nintendo will surely bring a unique touch with the NX.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers
It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges.

By Tom Phillips Published 26/07/2016

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

jpg

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

For more on the console's power, Digital Foundry has a deep-dive look at the chip Nintendo has chosen as the centrepiece of NX, according to numerous well-placed sources: Nvidia's powerful Tegra mobile processor.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Naturally, we expect digital game downloads will also be available. We were told Nintendo considered but then decided against making a system which supported digital downloads only.

It's not the first time cartridge-based media has been mooted for NX. Back in May, eagle-eyed fans spotted The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's trademark included cartridge-based games. This was a change from Nintendo's usual wording for home console trademarks, which only refer to digital downloads and discs.

Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

Nintendo always designs its hardware to show off specific game concepts - and it remains to be seen how the system will showcase the next Mario, or even how the NX version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the only first-party game confirmed so-far - may differ when played on the device.

Previously, however, we've heard reports of various Wii U games reappearing as updated NX ports - Splatoon and Smash Bros. have both been mooted. And then there's Pikmin 4, which Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed to Eurogamer just over a year ago.

Otherwise, several third parties have announced their plans for the system, which you can read about - as well as proposed release plans - in our piece that rounds up everything we know about the NX so far.

"Nintendo has not made any new official announcements regarding NX which is due to launch in March 2017," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer when contacted about this story. "As such [we're] unable to comment on the various rumours and speculations circulating."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Pommy

Coach
I think some people forgot how big a company Nintendo is when they say things like they should go third party, it's quite hilarious.

If you go by some of the reliable rumors that are being floated around I think we will be able to safely say it wont be a WiiU repeat.

I know how big they are doesn't mean I can't wish for the day I can play Mario on PS.
I'm never going to buy two current gen consoles and with Nintendo never releasing a cutting edge console that will have 3rd party support I'm always going to pick someone else. I'm sure there's plenty more people in the same boat as me.
I love Nintendo but not enough to not play triple A games from other manufacturers.

perverse

Referee
Pretty glad I didn't go in on a New 3DS XL. If they pull it off, NX may well be insane. Will be interesting to see if they can produce compelling graphics on a TV with a mobile chipset. I guess most mobiles run at 1080p these days.

Eagerly awaiting. Give it to me, Nintendo. Balls and all.

Storm13

Juniors
There has always been rumors of two NX devices, one being portable and one a console. Wouldn't be surprised if the console NX lets you ramp up the hardware specs when you plug the portable NX into playing it on the TV. Wouldn't make sense for a portable to just plug into the TV via HDMI as that's already something that can be done with other portable devices etc and it's nothing really to get excited about if that's the case.

perverse

Referee
Can't dig it up right now, but I'm sure Nintendo did patent a technology that allowed shared processing across multiple devices on a network while developing the NX. People had theorized this would mean cloud computing for the device - graphics processing over the internet... but it won't surprise me if it's more of a base station at home taking advantage of the extra power given by the handheld, either. Could mean better graphics for games while you're at home, too.

It's going to be a very interesting device. I really love Nintendo for constantly innovating where other companies fear to do so. It's brave. I have a lot of respect for them as a company, completely aside from the gaming memories they've given me.

I definitely don't believe that you'll need to physically plug your portable into the TV with a cable, there will be a dock or base station... whether it provides extra graphics power I couldn't say.

Parra Pride

Coach
I know how big they are doesn't mean I can't wish for the day I can play Mario on PS.
I'm never going to buy two current gen consoles and with Nintendo never releasing a cutting edge console that will have 3rd party support I'm always going to pick someone else. I'm sure there's plenty more people in the same boat as me.
I love Nintendo but not enough to not play triple A games from other manufacturers.

You can wish all you want, you aren't getting any of Nintendo's big titles on another console, unless you any to go dig up a CD-i and play some of the worst games ever made.

Pommy

Coach
You can wish all you want, you aren't getting any of Nintendo's big titles on another console, unless you any to go dig up a CD-i and play some of the worst games ever made.

Well I think the NX is make or break for Nintendo in the home console world. So in 5 years we might know which way it's going to go.

Storm13

Juniors
I didn't mean the NX will literally have a cable was just highlighting previous devices have been able to do that which does not make it anything new or fresh.

Has to be more to this as what they are showing isn't that great especially as there is already a device that is exactly what they have leaked on the market already.

perverse

Referee
Well I think the NX is make or break for Nintendo in the home console world. So in 5 years we might know which way it's going to go.
Nintendo will need a few more colossal failures, with no success stories in between, to get to that point, I reckon.
I didn't mean the NX will literally have a cable was just highlighting previous devices have been able to do that which does not make it anything new or fresh.

Has to be more to this as what they are showing isn't that great especially as there is already a device that is exactly what they have leaked on the market already.
Sure, but does it play Zelda: Breath of the Wild? That game is going to move some serious hardware. It's a GOAT candidate. Nintendo's biggest strength is their IP... and they want to put their IP on devices that they design so that they can deliver unique and innovative experiences. It helps them avoid direct competition with Sony and Microsoft, and while it's higher risk, it's also higher reward - as the Wii showed.

At the end of the day, I will buy whatever they make. On average, they produce by far the best gaming experiences across any device. It doesn't bother me to need a second console to support Nintendo - I find their content well worth it - and I can justify their hardware choices with the experiences I've had with them. For example, if you haven't played Resident Evil 4 - Wii Edition... then you haven't played Resident Evil 4 as far as I'm concerned.