What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We've had a big tv deal since 2013, then even bigger from 2018. NRL revenue has doubled in little over a decade. The money's there, in fact given how little increase the existing clubs have had I'd love to know where all this money has gone since 2012?

Like I keep saying where is the strategy? Afl developed their's decades ago. Little to do with Income available at the time, everything to do with intent. They structured income, things like ticket taxes, variable club grant levels, pooled money for future expansion, relocated clubs etc. since then they have expanded heartland areas like Perth and Adelaide and in NRL regions.

Dave smith had a similiar goal I believe with his future fund, how's that going with a $24million loss at NRL hq last year? In terms of who,is unsustainable long term, who knows, depends on if revenue models can be developed for different clubs. In financial distress as of last financial reports you have Titans, Knights, dragons, West's, sharks. Then you have eels, raiders and panthers who are exist only due to pokie funding, then you have storm requiring a massive annual extra payment. Let's be honest we have more clubs in strife than not. So we're back to waiting till all these clubs are healthy, like I said not any time soon.

taipan

Referee
We've had a big tv deal since 2013, then even bigger from 2018. NRL revenue has doubled in little over a decade. The money's there, in fact given how little increase the existing clubs have had I'd love to know where all this money has gone since 2012?

Like I keep saying where is the strategy? Afl developed their's decades ago. Little to do with Income available at the time, everything to do with intent. They structured income, things like ticket taxes, variable club grant levels, pooled money for future expansion, relocated clubs etc. since then they have expanded heartland areas like Perth and Adelaide and in NRL regions.

Dave smith had a similiar goal I believe with his future fund, how's that going with a $24million loss at NRL hq last year? In terms of who,is unsustainable long term, who knows, depends on if revenue models can be developed for different clubs. In financial distress as of last financial reports you have Titans, Knights, dragons, West's, sharks. Then you have eels, raiders and panthers who are exist only due to pokie funding, then you have storm requiring a massive annual extra payment. Let's be honest we have more clubs in strife than not. So we're back to waiting till all these clubs are healthy, like I said not any time soon.

The "big " TV deal since 2013,has also been used to assist clubs such as West Tigers,Newcastle,St George,Titans,in addition to provide funding put aside towards improved infrastructure such as the new Nth Qld stadium,ANZ,Pirtek,and SFS.Including an increase in the Salary Cap,plus paying the $5m salaries on supposed high shot people who were employed by Smith at H/O most now given the flick,a couple because they were plain useless.Admin waste costs contributed as did financial assistance to clubs.
The clubs are getting an extra $1.5m in addition to the salary cap,provided it is used for the code's benefit.
The code lost money in 2012,noted by David Smith.Smith wanted to have money in the future fund,building to $200m.No mention of any of that for expansion.He had some good ideas but wasted money at the same time.
The code did not even have a lobbying group for Govt til 2013 to gain stadium deals.The Fumblers had such ages ago.
As from the next financial year admin cots at H/O will be $5m pa saved

Where was GWS in their strategic plan?.That club was plopped in due to pressure from the likes of Sheedy and a couple of guys in Sydney.Hey we have an area with 2m people,not represented.So the AFL decided we will throw $20m extra pa (money which they had I remind you)plus all the draft picks and financial extras.
They decided hey the Titans are on the GC,we better get in ,and throw $20m pa (became they had it),plus extras .
The AFL (because they had money to spare)threw money at Falunk and Hunt for PR.We would string up any admin if they threw money at an AFL player.
They threw money at Blacktown and ditched the area.They threw money at ANZ so they could play premiership games there,and their fans hated it,so they left it.If that is planning I'll give mine to the cat.
They decided going to Wellington was a good idea,where did that turn out?
Have a look at the combined debts of AFL clubs $90 plus million.Have a lot at the debacle with Essendon.

While a few Melbourne clubs are complaining about the money thrown at Brisbane/Suns and GWS,to their detriment.The Lions and Suns despite one winning premierships and one with Tablett as their marquee players ,are hardly settling the world on fire,due to expansion.
In fact I dare say the Lions are in debt more than the Dragons,Tigers and Knights combined

And yes AFL is better run ATM than the NRL ,more sop in the Gallop years.They didn''t have News part owning,they didn't have Tv stations scheduling,they had gifts from Govts,,they had Nthn Media giving them fluff stories compared to the Southern media for the NRL who give SFA.And they had money in the bank.
Remember it was under Smith's admin,they charged tickets at the SOO like wounded bulls,forgetting where many of their supporters come from.

It is BS to suggest income had little to do with AFL planning.The only reason the Swans went North ,is due to the fact their finances and fans were going South.They have never kicked out a club such as the Nth Sydney .

You do understand or maybe you don't there are at least 1/2 dozen Vic AFL clubs who get decent monies from poker machines.

The Titans,Knights will be privatised .St George will be part privatised with the Gordon family buying in.
West Tigers now have West Leagues club as majority shareholder,and have the Campbelltown area under their wing.The Sharks which I have tried (banging my head) will be well underpinned by mid way 2018/9

In fact all clubs only exist because of grants from head office.Poker machine funding is indeed important ,but only part of the deal.

Please advise where the Pirate's funding will come from, aside from H/O grants.Remember the salary cap will be $7m next year to be covered expectedly by the NRL.
And please advise how will, that extra income be sustainable in an economy suffering due to the resources collapse.

I repeat one more time,please name the specific NRL clubs you either want ditched or re located and the in-depth facts behind it ?Deflecting by suggesting some currently having financial issues is not an answer.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm happy to see them all there as long as they don't stunt the growth of the game. BUT as of today the game isn't in strong position to grow because of too many weak clubs. How many years do you allow that to continue for? May be forever, maybe the game is as big as it will get, maybe we will expire be a national sport and maybe it doesn't need to be as long as it doesn't want to bête biggest sport in Australia. RL has traditionally been happy with its small pond so maybe nothing will change. Anyway end of discussion, there is no expansion, there is no public plan for expansion and I've given up thinking there will be a Perth NRL team anytime soon, or not so soon.

taipan

Referee
I'm happy to see them all there as long as they don't stunt the growth of the game. BUT as of today the game isn't in strong position to grow because of too many weak clubs. How many years do you allow that to continue for? May be forever, maybe the game is as big as it will get, maybe we will expire be a national sport and maybe it doesn't need to be as long as it doesn't want to bête biggest sport in Australia. RL has traditionally been happy with its small pond so maybe nothing will change. Anyway end of discussion, there is no expansion, there is no public plan for expansion and I've given up thinking there will be a Perth NRL team anytime soon, or not so soon.

The 2018 Tv deals is the crux of the matter.
Titans has people interested in buying the club.Ditto Knights,and ditto Dragons.The Eels will be back on track next year .The Sharks planning already under way.The Tigers with a pro admin and West league club the majority shareholder.I'd suggest by the end of 2022 all clubs will be in a strong position.

Um! that is BS "happy with its small pond" .If that be the case the ARL would not have rushed into expanding with Perth Nth Qld,Auckland,Crushers.Expansion happened ,blame News ltd for the aftermath,not the ARL.

There you go again, you say there is no public plan for expansion.It's up to the ARLC not the public planning.
I'm still awaiting the club you wish to remove,the whingeing is getting in the way of your decision.

The PR approach expand,hang the expense and the possible consequences if not done properly.

Marlins

Juniors
Is the North Bears buying and renaming the Titans thing done and dusted?
Depends who buys the titans I guess. Norths probably have the money but it would depend on if the nrl would allow it. Probably not Lilley now seeing as how the Titans found some success this year. I think the titans brand is here to stay.

Marlins

Juniors
They should have done it in the first place. Norths own tweeds heads leagues club and the Burleigh bears are a Titans feeder club.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Funny how things can change in a season. At the start of the year the idea had merit. I really thought it was a chance, but I'd say it's highly unlikely now.

The amount of publicity Hayne (good or bad) has brought them this year combined with their top 8 finish pretty much solidifies the Titans brand.

But you never know, they may have a terrible season and the idea may arise again in a year or so

johnny plath

Juniors
I just wrote in the '2nd Brisbane team' forum that there needs to be something different for it to work well... maybe the Brisbane bears could be a viable option somehow?? I think there is some sentimental support for the old bears up in Brisbane, would be great to see the red and black back in some form... maybe the Northern Bears

I just wrote in the '2nd Brisbane team' forum that there needs to be something different for it to work well... maybe the Brisbane bears could be a viable option somehow?? I think there is some sentimental support for the old bears up in Brisbane, would be great to see the red and black back in some form... maybe the Northern Bears

The red and black...

NZ Warriors pretty much use it now.

RoosTah

Juniors
The 2018 Tv deals is the crux of the matter.
Titans has people interested in buying the club.Ditto Knights,and ditto Dragons.The Eels will be back on track next year .The Sharks planning already under way.The Tigers with a pro admin and West league club the majority shareholder.I'd suggest by the end of 2022 all clubs will be in a strong position.

Um! that is BS "happy with its small pond" .If that be the case the ARL would not have rushed into expanding with Perth Nth Qld,Auckland,Crushers.Expansion happened ,blame News ltd for the aftermath,not the ARL.

There you go again, you say there is no public plan for expansion.It's up to the ARLC not the public planning.
I'm still awaiting the club you wish to remove,the whingeing is getting in the way of your decision.

The PR approach expand,hang the expense and the possible consequences if not done properly.

Some great points here. Australian football has a graveyard full of failed expansion projects, and the approach of the AFL isn't as clever as many like to think.

Ultimately, an expansion project needs to be well thought out and launched from a solid base. The giants in many ways are a perfect example of how not to do it - the level of buy in out west has been abysmal and the only thing that keeps them from folding is the AFL's massive concessions to them at the expense of their heartland and their relatively deep pockets.

I'd love to see the pirates in the comp, but ideally you'd like them to be born off the back of a doubling of the size of the local competition and the NRL partnering with a wealthy business consortium/person.

magpie_man

Juniors
I wish Rothfield would relocate to the Central Coast,although Transylvania would be my preference for him.

Indonesia would be my preference for his relocation. And after consuming copious amounts of Durian he can return to his normal modus operandi of plying his liver with cask after cask of Lambrusco.

alien

Referee

Yeah I don't think the NRL will allow another NSW club to join, so I think the Bears best chance of getting back into the comp is by coming back as a non-NSW club. I'm not sure if enough Queenslanders would support an old NSW club though. It would be good if it works. If it can't work then maybe Perth or Adelaide are the best options for the Bears.

Marlins

Juniors
Yeah I don't think the NRL will allow another NSW club to join, so I think the Bears best chance of getting back into the comp is by coming back as a non-NSW club. I'm not sure if enough Queenslanders would support an old NSW club though. It would be good if it works. If it can't work then maybe Perth or Adelaide are the best options for the Bears.
Burleigh bears have a fair few fans some of them could support the club. Apart from the the fans in there 40's + not many ppl I know who follow league have heard of the NSB so it wouldn't really be adding a NSW side joining the Nrl.

taipan

Referee
The Adelaide Bears all black with a red V.That could be our 20th team after the Pirates/Banana 2,/Wellington NZ Orcas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Apart from a feel good for old NSW fans what would having the Bears take over someone or be a brand for a new team offer?
Surely better Manly absorbs the Jnr areas to strengten their player development. Leagues club isnt making much money. Nostalgia aside wheres the pluses?